AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Veil of Maya - [id] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.06
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7
Production 7.81
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6.81
Reviewer Tilt 7.44
Average: 74%

Veil of Maya - [id]

Reviewed by: Jake Denning (04/19/10)
Veil of Maya - [id]
Record Label: Sumerian
Release Date: April 6, 2010

I was a fan of Veil of Maya's previous release, The Common Man's Collapse; The parts of Common Man that I had particularly liked was the progressive direction, but also had an occasional breakdown thrown in, which I dug as a combo. After watching Veil of Maya play a few new tracks via webcast on the Atticus Metal Tour II, I was really curious to see how the rest of the album would pony up. Upon my first few listens of [id], it had become apparent that for the most part, Veil of Maya took the old saying "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" to heart.

If you're looking to be impressed vocally, this definitely isn't the CD to do that for you. Vocalist Brandon Butler's vocal style is just as it always has been, alternating between a growling style reminiscent of former Haste The Day vocalist Jimmy Ryan, and booming lows. By all means Brandon fits in very well with the band, but there are definitely better vocalists around in the genre. Lyrically, [id] really pushes a message of choosing the right path in life and rising up to one's full potential, which I feel is one of the stronger points to this album.

Musically, the wheel hasn't been reinvented in any way. In [id], the band is rather fond of sticking to the same chugging guitar and bass patterns. The lengthy lead guitar runs that I appreciated seem to be somewhat less present here, although some great leads can be found in Unbreakable and The Higler. Drummer Sam Applebaum has once again done a great job in making his work compliment the guitars and vocals, as well as adding in some creative fills. My favorite tracks easily were Mowgli and Namaste, which can easily be compared to some of the better tracks off of Common Man's Collapse.

Overall, [id] is a good CD, but I feel that Veil of Maya could have been more creative in writing a new CD. One of the most dismal points to this album is that it clocks in at barely 29 minutes, considering that 3 of [id]'s 11 tracks are short instrumentals, much in vein of a prior song off the last album, Pillars. It's not a bad album at all, but it definitely is not a great one. Nonetheless, 2010 should be a very successful year for the band.

Recommended If You LikeAfter the Burial; Born of Osiris; Whitechapel

myspace.com/veilofmaya

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6.
05:28 PM on 04/20/10
more heart
Midtown Saves
User Info.
I felt that this record was a huge step up from The Common Man's Collapse. There was more of an appeal to this record and I thought the instrumentation was even better this time around. Overall, not a bad review. And I totally agree about the length/instrumental songs. Three instrumental songs on a record that comes in under 30 minutes(especially for this genre) is a bit much.
01:37 AM on 04/22/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Sumerian*
01:52 AM on 04/22/10
Jake Denning
@Jake_Denning
User Info.
I felt that this record was a huge step up from The Common Man's Collapse. There was more of an appeal to this record and I thought the instrumentation was even better this time around. Overall, not a bad review. And I totally agree about the length/instrumental songs. Three instrumental songs on a record that comes in under 30 minutes(especially for this genre) is a bit much.
Thanks for reading, i'm tapped to review Upon A Burning Body and Sent By Ravens, so i'll have those up soon.
08:20 PM on 04/22/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Haven't heard much from this band but I definitely want to hear more now.
07:43 AM on 04/30/10
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
I liked The Common Man's Collapse, despite the really shitty production job on it. I'll definitely be checking this out. :D
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS