AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Go Radio - Do Overs and Second Chances EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.04
Musicianship 8.33
Lyrics 8.71
Production 8.63
Creativity 8.17
Lasting Value 8.54
Reviewer Tilt 9.17
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Go Radio - Do Overs and Second Chances EP

Reviewed by: dangerofthought (04/20/10)
Go Radio - Do Overs and Second Chances EP
Record Label: Fearless Records
Release Date: April 20, 2010

Go Radio is Jason Lancaster's band since leaving Mayday Parade. Fans of Mayday Parade's first effort Tales Told By Dead Friends - EP and their first full-length on Fearless Records A Lesson In Romantics will find a lot to like in Go Radio's Do Overs. Hearing Lancaster's vocals and his unsurpassed lyrics in a genre that is flooded with cringe-inducing fluff gives this Pop/Rock fan the jitters. I hate to continue comparisons with ALIR-era Mayday Parade, but the truth is that Lancaster basically made that album. Go Radio's Do Overs is the sophomore effort I wanted from Mayday Parade.

Do Overs begins with the fast-paced "When Dreams Become Drastic", opening with a guitar riff that serves as a welcome mat to Lancaster's voice and the beginning of his excellent lyricism. While the Pop/Rock genre isn't exactly overwhelmed with amazing guitar and drum bits, Go Radio's Alex Reed (guitar) and Steven Kopacz (drums) do excellent work, not only on this track but also on the whole EP. Rather than playing straight eighth-note down-strokes on power chords, Reed does an excellent job of playing with the drums, dropping in parts and picking up the pace that really needs it.

"Thanks For Nothing" begins the consistency of Go Radio to produce enough uniqueness in each song to not get confused with other songs on the EP. "Thanks for Nothing" begins with a quiet piano and Lancaster's vocals, only to enter with a quick drum roll and a beat not dissimilar to Mayday Parade's "Black Cat" (I again apologize for the comparisons). "Letters and Love Notes" begins similar to "When Dreams Become Drastic", but its soaring chorus and backup vocals provided by Reed saves what could have been a too-similar song. "It's Not A Trap, I Promise" begins a little experimentation with some vocal filters similar to the megaphone effect. Kopacz does a great job of making this a track to remember; with stops, builds, rolls, and high-hat/snare work that breaks up the verses and chorus. The intro to "In Our Final Hour" is reminiscent of Anberlin and Secret and Whisper (mind you, the SAW similarities only last about eight seconds). The fast-paced singing from Lancaster is definitely the highlight on this track, though the guitar riffs in the chorus and the clapping beat of the drums in the second verse are awesome.

The last two tracks on the EP are two of the best. "You Hold Your Breath, I'll Hold My Liquor" is a great fast-paced, roll down your windows jam to create one of the catchiest songs on the record. Lancaster's soaring vocals and Reed's superb guitar and back-up vocals make this track a pleasure to listen to. "Goodnight Moon", the final track and the records only ballad-esque track, is my personal favorite. The first verse and chorus are just the piano and Lancaster weaving his lyrics in and out of rhythm. The second verse begins with Kopacz's drums and Lancaster singing a higher octave than the beginning of the song, giving the second part a very emotional and heartfelt feeling. However, my favorite part is the bridge, escalating in a build-up and Lancaster's perfect vocals hitting every note necessary and not one more. I can't help but shiver at the 2:40 mark.

For fans who have followed Lancaster since his departure from Mayday Parade and heard Go Radio's Welcome to Life, one of the few problems with it was it's lack of quality production (also a problem for Mayday Parade's Tales). Luckily, Go Radio's signing to Fearless Records has solved that problem, putting the amount of production that has not only become necessary, but expected in the genre. Lancaster's vocals are not only great, they're superb, as is his lyrics. Anybody that was (or is depending on your opinion of Anywhere But Here) a fan of Mayday Parade should pick up this EP.

Recommended If You Likepop/punk/rock; Mayday Parade - A Lesson In Romantics; driving with the windows down belting out songs that are turned up too loud

myspace.com/goradio

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 40.
05:16 PM on 04/20/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Can we just kill old Mayday and bring all the Mayday fans here?
Cause this EP is amazing.
07:08 PM on 04/20/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Really solid review..fantastic album! Muchhh better than Mayday Parade are right now.
07:32 PM on 04/20/10
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
Really solid review..fantastic album! Muchhh better than Mayday Parade are right now.
Thanks man! This was my first review, but with such a great EP I wanted to do it justice.

@cwhit412: yes. we can and should. All MP fans should pick up where they left off with Go Radio.
08:54 PM on 04/20/10
BlinkMe18278
User Info.
couldn't have said this better myself...perfect review
09:28 PM on 04/20/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Reminds me of other good summer records. I miss hearing Jason in Mayday songs though, and wish he would just go back. I need to hear him sing "3 cheers for 5 years" again...

Goodnight Moon is a solid track though, I hope this band goes on to do well.
10:43 PM on 04/20/10
bandnamexmyname
&^%^&
User Info.
Mayday parade is pretttty darn bad right now. I think I'll stick to Jason, as in the guy who wrote EVERY song on their first (and only good) record.
08:51 AM on 04/21/10
James RE Hughey
User Info.
I think Mayday connection needs to stop being referenced. I agree with the review on how with this album you can't not, but from here on out let the two bands do their thing separately. I am sure members of both parties want that.

As for the review, great job! I have a hard time liking music that fits this pop/punk/emo/whatever genre, but these guys are better than most and this review tells why.
10:47 AM on 04/21/10
BigBouch
User Info.
Great review! I agree with wanting something like this from maydays sophomore attempt, but Jason has moved on and done a great job. I deinitely want to see go radio play asap.

Last thing. The bridge of goodnight moon absolutely blew me away an I get chills the whole end of that song.
12:04 PM on 04/21/10
dangerofthought
An Uneducated Opinion
User Info.
I think Mayday connection needs to stop being referenced. I agree with the review on how with this album you can't not, but from here on out let the two bands do their thing separately. I am sure members of both parties want that.

As for the review, great job! I have a hard time liking music that fits this pop/punk/emo/whatever genre, but these guys are better than most and this review tells why.
I honestly tried my best to limit the Mayday Parade references to basically what was required to make the obvious connections. I totally agree with you, that after this release, the Go Radio and MP connections should stop, but the comparisons will continue because Lancaster was the creative force behind ALIR and therefore anything he does will sound like it.

Thanks for the feedback on the review though!
01:43 PM on 04/21/10
James RE Hughey
User Info.
Yeah, I wouldn't be able to not mention it either. He was the engine that made Mayday then.
03:33 PM on 04/21/10
Clockwork00
Write it on the walls and read it.
User Info.
Really good EP. In my opinion, though, You Hold Your Breath, I'll Hold My Liquor is the weakest track. It really doesn't stand out to me, and although I could never confuse it with any other song on the disc, it sort of seems like them all rolled into one.

And you really don't need to compare albums, no matter how obvious the similarities are. Music can be reviewed on its own merits, not necessarily in a "this sounds just like/is better than that" fashion.
04:24 PM on 04/21/10
annarollsalong
User Info.
This review got me so pumped to get the ep! (it's actually waiting in the mail for when I get off work).
Terrific review, these are the kind of reviews that I want to see all the time!

Now I'm even more excited to see them live with A Day to Remember!
04:47 PM on 04/21/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Good review! I listened to this like an hour ago, I agree about the production on the first EP, it really took away from it
09:34 PM on 04/21/10
mattjames1909
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review. Jason's vocals seem like they are getting better and better. His lyrics, well do I have to explain how great they are? Compare his lyrics to other bands in the Pop/Punk genre and you will see why he gets so much praise in that department.

The Mayday Parade references will never end, and you just gotta learn to deal with the fact that it will always be brought up. Honestly, I'm glad he's gone from Mayday Parade, and I feel Go Radio is going to do far better things than anything he would had and would have ever done with Mayday Parade. I also hated how Derek used to try and mimic Jason's vocals on most songs making them two blend in and you couldn't tell who was singing what until you really really listened.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests