AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Pistolita - The Paper Boy EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9.75
Production 9.25
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Average: 95%
Inside AP.net

Pistolita - The Paper Boy EP

Reviewed by: aradiantsunrise (04/20/10)
Pistolita - The Paper Boy EP
Record Label: Montalban Hotel Records
Release Date: March 30, 2010

It was March 22nd, 2006 when I discovered this band. They were on tour with Saves The Day, Circa Survive, and Moneen. They opened the show and I remember standing there with my arms crossed looking at the stage before they began playing. I turned to look at my friend and said ''Great, probably just another boring unknown band with a keyboard opening the show.'' I know, it was rather ignorant of me to say that without even hearing them first and trust me, I have wised up a lot since then. I didn't appreciate music as much as I do now. Once they started performing my opinion of the band instantly changed as their music was quickly grabbing my attention. From Conor Mead's boldness to express his emotions with his singing voice to the eerie piano sounds some of the songs possessed to the fresh sounding guitar riffs, I became a fan of this band in a matter of minutes.

The Pistolita ended up splitting sometime in 2007, two years later they reunited with some new members and a new sound. Four years after their incredible debut full length Oliver Under The Moon was released, The Paper Boy EP made its way into digital stores everywhere (maybe not everywhere!). If you are a fan of Pistolita and have yet to hear the new EP, don't expect it sound exactly like the full length. The ''new'' Pistolita decided to change it up this time around and take some chances. Right away you notice the change with the first actual song on the EP ''Ceiling Stars''. Meads raises his voice at the listener as the song begins as a more straight-forward piano rock track and continues to do so to start the EP off strong and memorable.

Following it up would be my personal favorite track on the EP, ''Emily'', a track where Meads' voice is a tad reminiscent of Chris Carrabba's, starts off with a slow, eerie piano. Shortly after, it goes silent for a second and the drums kick in as the same piano sound returns with the addition of guitars. Meads' voice is somber throughout the verses but once the chorus approaches he raises it as emotion spills from his voice, sending shivers down your spine.

The closing track, ''Gray'', is the perfect way to end this excellent EP. The majority of the chorus is the main thing that stands out to me as it is a great way to put Pistolita's music career even if that isn't what the song is about. ''You can try to forget me all over again / You can try to forget me until I am just a darker shade of gray / But I'll come back from the grave...'' (and let's stop there!). To me, that just says that they can continue to put out great music no matter what they have gone through as a band.

The Paper Boy EP displays the band's new sound with the addition of bits and pieces of what made Oliver Under The Moon so fantastic. It may also be a small preview of the next full length Pistolita will be releasing whenever that may be. Personally, I hope they stick with the EP's sound but regardless of what they do, everybody should go write it down on their list of most anticipated because Pistolita is back with a vengeance!

Recommended If You Likepiano rock; Dashboard Confessional; Jimmy Eat World; Spitalfield; Making April; music with substance

myspace.com/pistolita

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23.
02:21 PM on 04/20/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
If this is your first review, very well-written I must say.
02:25 PM on 04/20/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
If this is your first review, very well-written I must say.
Second one. Thanks! I was worried I may have overdid it.
02:33 PM on 04/20/10
Dystroxia
User Info.
Second one. Thanks! I was worried I may have overdid it.
Oh, gotcha. No problem!

The only thing, though (as I did the same thing) is express your opinion, but not to where it's noticeable.

For example:

Do: This album is great.
Don't: Personally, I think this album is great.

Jeremy Aaron gave me this advice, and thank god I listened. But then again, it's how you want to write. haha
02:35 PM on 04/20/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Oh, gotcha. No problem!

The only thing, though (as I did the same thing) is express your opinion, but not to where it's noticeable.

For example:

Do: This album is great.
Don't: Personally, I think this album is great.

Jeremy Aaron gave me this advice, and thank god I listened. But then again, it's how you want to write. haha
Ah okay, I'll keep that in mind for the next one I do. All advice is welcome.
02:37 PM on 04/20/10
Dystroxia
User Info.
Ah okay, I'll keep that in mind for the next one I do. All advice is welcome.
Sweetness!

Oh, and don't mind the ones that act like douchebags (look at my review for Plagues - TDWP)

There were so many of those under the comments section, ha
02:43 PM on 04/20/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Sweetness!

Oh, and don't mind the ones that act like douchebags (look at my review for Plagues - TDWP)

There were so many of those under the comments section, ha
I'll have to check it out, haha.
02:58 PM on 04/20/10
Dystroxia
User Info.
I'll have to check it out, haha.
Do it, some of those comments are childishly ridiculous.
05:14 PM on 04/20/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Great album.
I'd score it a little bit higher though.
Good review.
05:32 PM on 04/20/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Great album.
I'd score it a little bit higher though.
Good review.
Thanks. Honestly I thought it would turn out a bit higher than that. I messed up with the ratings. Fuck math, haha.
05:40 PM on 04/20/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Thanks. Honestly I thought it would turn out a bit higher than that. I messed up with the ratings. Fuck math, haha.
Vocals could be higher, same with production. Creativity too, cause I can't think of a band that's similar to them.
05:53 PM on 04/20/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Vocals could be higher, same with production. Creativity too, cause I can't think of a band that's similar to them.
Would it be silly if I went to edit them?
05:59 PM on 04/20/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Would it be silly if I went to edit them?
Not as long as your review represents your scores.
06:04 PM on 04/20/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Not as long as your review represents your scores.
Definitely meant for it to be a tad higher so it'll be accurate.
06:07 PM on 04/20/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Definitely meant for it to be a tad higher so it'll be accurate.
For some reason, the magic 80 makes the album much more enticing to people.
It's the same difference between a B and a C...
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests