AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Morning Of, The - The Way I Fell In Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 8.25
Production 10
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.23
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.73
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.63
Lasting Value 9.09
Reviewer Tilt 8.92
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Morning Of, The - The Way I Fell In

Reviewed by: Steve Henderson (04/22/10)
The Morning OfThe Way I Fell In
Release Date: May 4, 2010
Record Label: Tragic Hero/LAB Records

When a lot of the year’s most anticipated records fall far short of expectations, it is a huge relief to have one that finally comes through and delivers on its promise of potential. On The Way I Fell In, The Morning Of do just that. Those who complained that The World As We Know It was a little too “Disney Channel” cheeseball will be silenced and elated to hear how the band has matured into a truly gifted pop/rock tour de force. Because, simply put, The Way I Fell In is a near-perfect exercise in pure pop magic.

While The Morning Of have been through enough member changes to make Taking Back Sunday blush, their overall sound has actually stayed quite consistent since the last LP. A problem for some, but in this case, it is excellent news, since these guys (and gal) just needed to hone their craft a bit, and get some more life experience under their belts. Nothing on The Way I Fell In is overly melodramatic (like “Goodbye Gravity, Welcome Change”). Instead, the group has deftly learned to harness emotion instead of yielding to it, and in the process has gained the ability to make pop tunes that are at once catchy and affecting. It might sound simple, but few bands in the scene (and even the music world in general) could ever hope to pull it off the way TMO does.

When the band enlisted the aid of Jim Wirt in the studio, and Aaron Marsh on guest vocals, it was plain to see that they were taking themselves plenty seriously. They believed that they could make a great record, and that is exactly what they did. From the opening crescendo of “Jennessea,” The Way I Fell In truly captivates, and carries forward for twelve tracks, with nary a hint of filler. In fact, that is what makes discussion of individual tracks so difficult, as each is its own noteworthy accomplishment making up the album’s overall tapestry.

Regardless, there are some cuts that stand slightly above the rest as downright masterpieces – “The Ones That Fall Apart” absolutely kills it with flawless vocals and a monster hook, and “The Time It Takes To Grow” is a gorgeous little hushed acoustic number. Especially noteworthy is the Jessica-only track “I Know You Know,” which is easily the most arresting exhibition of sheer vocal brilliance I have heard in a long, long time. It is the eyes-closed, perfect take, kind of studio magic that all singers aspire to, but few actually experience. And the way the track leads into the late-record gem of “Bring Me Home” (second single, anyone?) is about ideal. Of course, you can’t go wrong with anything Aaron Marsh touches, and spotlighting a cameo of his on an emotional, majestic number (“Heaven or Hell”) closes out the collection in fitting fashion.

I honestly can’t remember the last time a record gave me goosebumps, but The Way I Fell In delivered chills on multiple occasions. The fact that no major label scooped this band up is pretty staggering, and really underscores the sort of blindness that has the old guard on life support. The Morning Of are the type of band that believes in the inherent magic of great pop tunes, and their execution on this idea makes The Way I Fell In a transcendent pop classic that succeeds with an effortless, universal appeal. So even though the majors might have missed out, fans won’t, as this new release is a treasure trove of memorable moments. Bravo, TMO, bravo.

Recommended if you like:Jack’s Mannequin, Copeland, The Summer Set

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 108
12:57 PM on 04/22/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
I want. Great review.
12:58 PM on 04/22/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Gahhhhhhh I need this.
12:58 PM on 04/22/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Want this so bad. GREAT review. Got me all giddy about this album now
12:59 PM on 04/22/10
The Nick Life
User Info.
Wow. I am even more excited to hear it now.
01:03 PM on 04/22/10
Epilogueboy
User Info.
dear steve,

it means a lot to me that you believe in us this much and i dedicate this entire record to you :)
01:03 PM on 04/22/10
Chrisj182
User Info.
Good review, i'll have to check it out.
01:05 PM on 04/22/10
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Fantastic review Steve! How does the album version of "Tell Me I'm Wrong" sound? I've been in love with the acoustic version ever since I heard it. Can't wait to hear the record
01:05 PM on 04/22/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
dear steve,

it means a lot to me that you believe in us this much and i dedicate this entire record to you :)
Dear Justin,

It means a lot to me that you guys make great music. I dedicate this review to you :)

Now you just have to worry about battling Beach House for my aoty so far this year.
01:06 PM on 04/22/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Great review, Steve. I am SO excited about this album, I wanna hear it so badly already, haha.
01:09 PM on 04/22/10
sammyboy516
User Info.
dear steve,

I love piano-central music. I love strong vocals. I love catchy hooks. I love relatebale, meaningful lyrics. Your band has all of these things. Based on the songs released so far and the clips on Amazon MP3, this album is going to be really, really good.
01:09 PM on 04/22/10
11:11
Soft sound
User Info.
Wow. This band kinda fell of the planet for me but now I'm definitely interested.
01:10 PM on 04/22/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
dear steve,

Are you ready to take over the world?
01:10 PM on 04/22/10
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
I am sooooo ready for this cd to finally drop! I was already excited to hear this, now I am even more excited.
01:20 PM on 04/22/10
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Wow, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I'll put this on my list of things to buy. I thought the single they had through their Absolutexclusive was alright, I'll give it another shot.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums