Password

Album Review
Fiveohfirst - Fiveohfirst 2009 Demo Album Cover

Fiveohfirst - Fiveohfirst 2009 Demo

Reviewed by
FIVEOHfirst - FIVEOHFIRST 2009 Demo
Record Label: None
Release Date: September 9, 2009
FIVEOHfirst are a new band emerging from a suburb of Chicago, IL. They blend synth heavy pop punk with the screaming of post-hardcore to create a sound similar to that of Four Year Strong. Though their 2009 demo is not a terrible EP, this band still has a lot of work to do.

"Brobiwan-Kenobi" starts the album off with digital noise leading into a breakdown. The vocals sound fairly weak, especially the clean ones. Still, it is a good way to introduce the band's sound. It is my personal favorite track, because I'm a fan of both poppy and heavy music. But the track would definitely need some tweaking if it was to be released by a label.

The next track "One Night" begins on a lighter note compared to the opener, though the guitars have a heavier sound than most in the pop punk genre. Even though the song starts off fairly light, it later incorporate the screaming elements that the band tries to blend into their musical styling. Lyrics are not a strong point on the EP; at one point lead vocalist Matt Rizzo sings, "Tonight we need a breakdown to forget about this town."

"Second Street" keeps up with the rest of the tracks by following the same formula used with the other songs on the EP. There is one difference - the band trades in the majority of the synth for a less programmed sounding keyboard. This is the best song to listen to if it's your first time hearing FIVEOHfirst.

After listening to the EP a few times, I feel FIVEOHfirst has the potential to get as big as some of the similar sounding acts in their genre. Like most bands out there though, improvement is necessary for the band. FIVEOHfirst is by no means bad at what they do, they just need to step up their game.

Recommended If You LikeFour Year Strong; This Time Next Year; a well done blending of genres

myspace.com/fiveohfirst
This review is a user submitted review from brandon_260. You can see all of brandon_260's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
09:32 PM on 04/26/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Haha I expected these guys to sound like I Set My Friends on Fire or something of that sort and I was about to say you're probably going to die for saying they sound like FYS.

But naive posting helps no one. I liked the 30 second clips I heard on itunes. Not enough to make me jump out off of my couch and buy it but I'll be looking to these guys in the future possibly.
07:10 AM on 04/27/10
ZachCTC
Accept the pain, always forgive.
User Info.
I saw this band as the opener for the Kimbo Wants A Pepsi Tour last night in Elgin. There was absolutely nothing special about them. I didn't know they had a keyboard until I saw him on the far left of the stage. And the guitars were WAY too distorted; I could only hear the rhythm and not the lead. The songs themselves are alright, but in terms of honing in their sound the band has a lot of work to do.
11:12 AM on 05/01/10
mrotsch
User Info.
I too saw these guys open for SYG in Elgin almost a week ago. Their guitar sound was terrible, absolutely awful. I really hope that if one of the band members reads this they heed my words and do something about that god awful guitar tone. Also their screaming was kinda cheesy, I didn't believe the screamer, he was just doing it and not feeling it. They have potential theres no doubt about that. Hopefully they improve, they were kind of fun live.
09:45 PM on 05/02/10
Confesshh
User Info.
I saw them in Elgin too and my god were they lame and boring. Albeit they were playing next to The Wonder Years, Comeback Kid, and Set Your Goals. That is a really tough group of bands to top live, but their opening set made me groan, not get excited for the show. I felt like they were really realllly cheesy, but I was also comparing them to some really good bands. They're okay, but if they want to be anything of worth they've seriously gotta step it up and be real.
07:41 PM on 08/17/10
FIVEOHfirstFan1
FIVEOHfirstFan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love FIVEOHfirst. Theyre one of the best bands I've ever heard and the guys are all very nice. I've met them a couple of times, and theyre all very welcoming to new friends. Lars has a gorgeous voice and with Adrian, Chris, and Ricky on guitar, the band is great. Danny plays the drums while his brother, Steve, is on keyboard, and the band becomes a whole. They sound fantastic together and you couldn't ask for a better match. They've been together since their senior year of highschool, and I'm glad they got the band together. Their music helps me get through hard times, and the guys give great life advice. I talk to them all the time, and they're all fantastic and good friends. I give this band a good review because their music genuinely speaks to my genre and they all connect in a way that most bands cannot.
04:34 PM on 08/29/10
aDaveToRemember
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I feel obligated to say something because these guys are my best friends. They're earlier EP release and 2009 demo are a bit rough and confusing - yes, but their most recent release, Telling Every Story, is really what the band is all about. They have gotten rid of the "randomly placed" screaming, and have really discovered their sound. Even as a being a great friend of this band, I can say that they were lost trying to find the music that they wanted to make - but anyone who was turned off by their live show/confusing music, give them another chance. Its a totally new band

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos