AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Like So - Goes To The Supermarket And Never Returns... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.5
Production 7
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Like So - Goes To The Supermarket And Never Returns...

Reviewed by: Midgar777 (04/28/10)
Like So - Goes To The Supermarket And Never Returns
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: October 17, 2009

Who?
Like So are made up of three guys hailing from Chicago, Illinois who share an unparalleled passion for music. They clearly have a love for Star Wars, fruit, and blenders, but when they aren't too busy making smoothies they also like to write some inspiring music for us all to enjoy. Colin, Seth, and David are studying full-time at college but despite this they are devoted to music and still find plenty of time to put their hearts and souls into creating a unique and intriguing sound.

How is it?
Goes To The Supermarket And Never Returns is the first demo that Like So have released and after hearing a mere six tracks of their music, I'm already beginning to understand what they are all about. Their demo takes you on a journey through many sub genres from the complex and technical mathcore tracks like "The Internet", to the likes of the laid back yet emphatic song "The N". Despite covering a variety of sounds, Like So never manage to stray too far from their core sound which I'd describe as a mixture of This Town Needs Guns and Minus the Bear, with a dash of Lost From Atlas.

The track that really stands out for me is "Peter's Northward Adventure". It begins with an intricate intertwining of fingerpicking and soulful bass and increases in pace to finally evolve into an emotive breakdown at the end. Another track that I can't avoid mentioning is "Sometimes Exercise Means Talking Faster" as it has a captivating progression from steady rhythmical melodies to an avalanche of awesome tapped riffs only complimented by the flawless drumming and funky bass.

It hard to be unbiased sometimes, especially when a band gives you very little to complain about, and these guys are certainly giving me a hard time trying to find something I dislike about their demo. I've seen a few people commenting on the quality of the recording being poor but I have since discovered that they created this CD with no budget and did all the mixing and production themselves. I agree it's not the most incredible quality recording I've ever heard but you only have to give the first track or two a listen before you can really begin to appreciate how passionate these guys are about their music. The purpose of a demo is to give people a taste of what you hope to accomplish and that is exactly what Goes To The Supermarket And Never Returns does. If you do one thing today, stop by their Myspace page, give them a listen and if you like what you hear then tell your friends and let's give these guys the support and recognition that they deserve. Like So are definitely a band to keep you eye on in the next few months, and I for one am eagerly awaiting the release of their EP later this year. Check them out!

Recommended If You LikeThis Town Needs Guns; Minus The Bear; Lost From Atlas, Colour;

http://www.myspace.com/likesomusic

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3.
01:42 PM on 05/03/10
davehennessy
www.facebook.com/davehennessymusic
User Info.
Thanks for the review man!
03:27 PM on 05/03/10
Midgar777
Music is Life
User Info.
No problem, really loved the demo. Hope everyone else gives it a go too :]!
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS