AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Get Up Kids, The - Simple Science EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.25
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 81%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.93
Musicianship 7.68
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.64
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 8.82
Average: 77%
Inside AP.net

Get Up Kids, The - Simple Science EP

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (04/28/10)
Get Up Kids, The Simple Science EP
Record Label: Simple Psyence Recordings
Release Date: April 13, 2010 (Digital/Vinyl); April 27, 2010 (CD)

We long for what we lost. It's human nature. It's the flow of life to get up one day and have that which we cherish burn out and to evidently long for it to shine bright again. In 2005, The Get Up Kids called it a day. For many of us, it was the end of a band that once brought about a new beginning of music to many. All we could do was look back on a band who were part of something great, not only in music, but in our personal lives as well.

Let's look at the history. In the ten years the band existed, they came along with a brash, heart-on-the-sleeve, punk debut; nurtured themselves into pop-punk songwriters; threw it all away to construct a follow-up miles beyond their sound; and with their last album, threw everything together into a final melting pot of their career before hanging it up.

7" splits, singles and EPs aside, those four albums are a portrait of growth, not only from a band, but for many of their fans as well.

With their reunion tour last year, we all got wind of some studio photos, and excitement surrounded even the oldest of fans. Now we have our first audible answer. A four-song EP entitled Simple Science. Much like where they left off, the EP runs the gamut of the band's career. It's the first in a series of three that we get to lay our ears on this year.

The opening "Your Petty Pretty Things" plays as a bright welcoming home and another track to add to that Summer playlist. Matt Pryor's voice is reminiscent of his 2008 solo album Confidence Man. "Tommy Gentle" is also playful, with James Dewees' keys taking a forefront. Then there's "Keith Case," a track that's dark in tone, Rob Pope's bass nasty and damaging, Dewees' keys hiding in the background. Even Pryor's voice is viscous. What makes the track stand out is the production - where each instrument comes in and is leveled in the mix. It's a sign of a band that stepped away, but came back and never lost touch with internal songwriting.

As "How You're Bound" electrically closes out the four songs in a six minute aura, we're left feeling two things: the joy of catalog editions and the yearning for more. The major downside of Simple Science is its EP-short length and individual track strength depending on where you fell in the mix of releases as a fan. The inconstancy of moods on Simple Science may leave you wandering back to your personal favorites throughout the band's catalog. But, if that's the downside to Simple Science, who cares? We received more Get Up Kids tunes to shuffle through.

Track Listing1. Your Petty Pretty Things
2. Keith Case
3. Tommy Gentle
4. How You're Bound

Recommended If You Like Really? Do I need this? The Get Up Kids of course!

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 44
09:51 PM on 04/28/10
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Good review. I'm planning to get this once I get more iTunes credits.
10:04 PM on 04/28/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
Quote:
Really? Do I need this? The Get Up Kids of course!
I laughed.
Good review, Adam. Can't wait for more from these guys.
10:04 PM on 04/28/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Good review Adam.
10:34 PM on 04/28/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Not my favorite thing the band has released, but it's good nonetheless. The last paragraph sums up my thoughts perfectly. Well-written.
01:58 AM on 04/29/10
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
Apart from Keith Case, I totally skipped this one. Too much electronics for me
06:31 AM on 04/29/10
246toothpicks
User Info.
Apart from Keith Case, I totally skipped this one. Too much electronics for me
Yeah I agree, too much screwing around with effects for me. I like them w/ a more stripped down sound.
09:06 AM on 04/29/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Totally with you dudes
09:07 AM on 04/29/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
agree with the review. doesnt change the way i view the get up kids....but it is an awesome addition to their already awesome catalog of songs.
09:12 AM on 04/29/10
SteveLikesMusic
I'm A Man, Dammit
User Info.
Accurate.
09:23 AM on 04/29/10
poopjones
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i actuaslly enjoyed this more than i thought i was going to, can't wait for the next ep
09:26 AM on 04/29/10
EndSerenading
we were born for battle
User Info.
Certainly not something I will listen to a lot as it is good, but nothing great imo. But I of course bought it as a fan of the TGUK as a whole. :)
09:38 AM on 04/29/10
Clintoto
thefifties.bandcamp.com
User Info.
Great review, loved this EP but definitely want more!!
09:48 AM on 04/29/10
rivers cuomo
User Info.
I think its great. It's really grown on me.
10:01 AM on 04/29/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
Certainly not something I will listen to a lot as it is good, but nothing great imo. But I of course bought it as a fan of the TGUK as a whole. :)
yeah. I'm kind of wondering what it would be like if they just released it as an LP. But as a vinyl collector and TGUK fan, I don't really have too much of a problem with this way...hahahah
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums