Album Review

The Down and Outs - Cacophony Album Cover

The Down and Outs - Cacophony

Reviewed by
The Down and Outs - Cacophony
Record Label: JOA Records
Release Date: January 5, 2010
Who?

Coming at you from Cumberland, Rhode Island, are The Down and Outs. Never heard of 'em? No big deal! Armed with their debut full length, these dudes are bringing nonstop circle pits to a stereo near you!

How Is It?

Fast and furious: it puts Vin Diesel and Paul Walker to shame. Remember back in 1999 when you played Tony Hawk's Pro Skater and that first track kicked in as your skater went down the ramp in the first level? Well, this album is reminiscent of that. For fans of skate punk, it's pure joy.

Musically, it's exactly what you'd expect: machine gun drumming and fast paced guitars. What's different about the music? Well, they let the bass shine. Check out the second track, "Honor Not Pride," and revel in the joy of the bass solo that's about a minute and 32 seconds in. The bass isn't the only thing that stands out musically, as the guitar work is extremely tight and the drumming is spot on. These dudes can play their instruments. Lyrically, they approach the topics of moshing at shows (the aforementioned "Honor Not Pride"), following your dreams and making music even though your parents think you're "fucking up" ("All Because of You), drinking a beer ("Sitting Down Drinking Beer"), a somewhat tongue-in-cheek approach at gay rights ("Scarlet Letter"), and an ode to doing what you want and living your life to the fullest ("Gone Before You Know").
This review is a user submitted review from Schmidty Says. You can see all of Schmidty Says's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
07:47 PM on 05/02/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Saw and met them last year; really nice, talented guys. Really happy to see them getting good reviews, the album is really fun.
10:06 AM on 05/04/10
Schmidty Says
Bitch Better Have My Honey!
User Info.
Saw and met them last year; really nice, talented guys. Really happy to see them getting good reviews, the album is really fun.
Definitely one of my favorite albums that I've heard this year. The music is really fun and the lyrical content is completely different than what everyone else seems to sing about. I absolutely love this album.
08:21 PM on 05/08/10
kaylie34
User Info.
theyre cool

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News