AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Polis - City-State Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 3.5
Musicianship 5
Lyrics 2.5
Production 4.25
Creativity 2.5
Lasting Value 1
Reviewer Tilt 1
Final Verdict: 28%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.75
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 5.42
Production 7.83
Creativity 7.17
Lasting Value 5.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.17
Average: 69%
Inside AP.net

Polis - City-State

Reviewed by: drailskid (05/01/10)
Polis - City-State
Record Label: Independent
Release Date: July 14, 2009

Who?

Polis is an unsigned ambient rock band from New Ulm, Minnesota that has been active for some years now in many different forms. They have cycled through multiple frontmen and other members in the past but have finally organized themselves into a more solid unit and released their first EP City-State.

How is it?

Itís okay. In a sentence, it sounds pretty good and is well produced but it lacks the necessary aesthetic to really be good. City-State sounds like Copelandís You Are My Sunshine if someone tried too hard to be more aggressive with it. Itís clear what these guys are aiming for: a room full of people swaying back and forth slowly with their eyes closed and their cell phones out during a long instrumental jam. Sadly, theyíre just not there yet. The biggest problem with this EP is the lyrics. There are only about 150 words used in the 12 minute EP and I canít figure out what any of them mean. As a result, the vocals suffer. Thereís nothing to connect to when listening to their music. He has a good voice but the vocals sound like he doesnít really care about words that donít really mean anything. These are talented guys with a good sound and if they can improve the lyrics and vocal delivery in the future, theyíll really have something worth listening to.

Recommended If You LikeCopeland - You Are My Sunshine, Ambient Rock

myspace.com/polismn

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
05:07 PM on 05/02/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.
Good review and all but... your rating doesn't match what you're saying. You'd think from the rating that you thought the album was complete trash. And you're saying that it's okay. An okay album is like in the 60s department. But, it's still a well-written review.
11:15 PM on 05/02/10
drailskid
User Info.
yeah i guess. i would have put it at 4/10 overall but the lasting value and reviewer tilt killed the final score..
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests