Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts
07:54 AM on 05/05/10
freakster
When I fly solo, I fly so high!
User Info.
I just picked this up yesterday and haven't had the chance to give it a proper spin (I was too busy with new Deftones, I'm guilty).

After reading this, I'm kinda bummed that they didn't try something a little different (not that their current formula is bad but it's nice to see where else a band can take it.)

With that being said, I'm a Gogol Bordello fan. I think Gypsy Punks is their best album to date. Also, they have one of the best live shows I've ever seen.
08:58 AM on 05/05/10
freakster
When I fly solo, I fly so high!
User Info.
Good review - I didn't think Super Taranta lived up to Gypsy Punks, and I don't think Trans-Continental Hustle does.... I think Gypsy Punks was so good, and is their best album to date. That being said, I do love all 3 albums, with Gypsy Punks being one of my favourites of all time. The opening paragraph being a bit like Gogol Bordello... it appears a bit chaotic, and a bit of a mess... but it makes sense somehow.

To be honest I was quite disappointed with the production on this record. It just lacked something... maybe I was expecting too much because of the big name.

As for style, I disagree completely with the comment above - "I'm kinda bummed that they didn't try something a little different." They're a self-proclaimed 'gypsy punk band' - so this record was never going to be a drastic change.... in the same way that blink-182 aren't going to come out with a hardcore record. It's going to be a bit punk, and it's going to have that gypsy sound / influence (Gogol Bordello of course, not blink-182).

I guess I phrased it wrong...I admittedly haven't given it a proper listen so I should reserve judgement but from what I have heard it sounds a like they could've experimented with other "sounds" while still sticking to their core. I'm not expecting something completely different...this is definitely a "you get what you see" band. I'm simply stating my opinion.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos