Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts
08:15 AM on 05/05/10
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
Good review - I didn't think Super Taranta lived up to Gypsy Punks, and I don't think Trans-Continental Hustle does.... I think Gypsy Punks was so good, and is their best album to date. That being said, I do love all 3 albums, with Gypsy Punks being one of my favourites of all time. The opening paragraph being a bit like Gogol Bordello... it appears a bit chaotic, and a bit of a mess... but it makes sense somehow.

To be honest I was quite disappointed with the production on this record. It just lacked something... maybe I was expecting too much because of the big name.

As for style, I disagree completely with the comment above - "I'm kinda bummed that they didn't try something a little different." They're a self-proclaimed 'gypsy punk band' - so this record was never going to be a drastic change.... in the same way that blink-182 aren't going to come out with a hardcore record. It's going to be a bit punk, and it's going to have that gypsy sound / influence (Gogol Bordello of course, not blink-182).

But on this record I think they have tried something new - and if you haven't heard it then maybe you need to listen again, I don't know - maybe it's just me. There is a BIG latin influence on this record in my opinion... I know that Eugene lives / lived in Rio, and I assume that this is part of the reason. I love the addition of the latin feel, and I think it works great.

Only time will tell if it's lasting for me - I haven't played it as much as Gypsy Punks, as I didn't with Super Taranta... but that's probably because the gypsy-punk sound isn't as new to me as it was then. I think it's a great album though, and if I didn't have their back catalogue to compare it to I'd probably think more of it. Therefore... a good, solid album - gyspy party! - but not their peak.
10:59 AM on 05/05/10
3GunGaz
Claret and Blue
User Info.
I guess I phrased it wrong...I admittedly haven't given it a proper listen so I should reserve judgement but from what I have heard it sounds a like they could've experimented with other "sounds" while still sticking to their core. I'm not expecting something completely different...this is definitely a "you get what you see" band. I'm simply stating my opinion.
Apologies if I came across as - 'you shouldn't have your opinion.'

I do admit it's not exactly a big step away from their sound, but I definitely feel there is a big latin influence to their sound on this record at times. As you say - their style is a 'get what you see' type of thing... but I think they're still doing it well.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos