Password

Album Review
Our Last Night - We Will All Evolve Album Cover

Our Last Night - We Will All Evolve

Reviewed by
Our Last Night - We Will All Evolve
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: May 4, 2010
Some album names try to make a statement; some try to describe something; some mean, well, absolutely nothing. Our Last Night's We Will All Evolve falls into the second category and what are they describing? Themselves. Everything about this band has evolved since their last release, The Ghosts Among Us. Most of all, however, is band screamer Trevor Wentworth who, while still not showing much range with his screams, has been doing some practicing and taking some lessons, and of course puberty helps (sorry, I couldn't resist). Matt Wentworth's leads have gotten faster and more solid and his singing voice has improved some. The drumming is a lot more solid and flows better. You'll just find a better band here.

At ten tracks, the album seems to be over too soon, but you'll never find a dull moment. Opener "Elephants" is quite possibly the heaviest song the band has ever done with its heavy metal grand opening and harsh screams from Trevor who may even impress people who find his earlier work to not be doing the job. For everything it is, though, it's not creative. In fact, you won't find anything creative on this album. If you like post-hardcore and metalcore and you don't feel the need to nitpick at creative originality, then this is your album. You want creativity, go throw on some Thrice. But, what you will find is near-expertly performed music with the balls to back it up. And breakdowns. Lots of breakdowns.

"Across the Ocean" is perhaps one of the strongest tracks, with its driving chorus and great transitions from mellow to hard-hitting and prodigious guitar riffs. The added keyboard throughout is a nice touch as well. "The Devil Inside You" is my mosh pick of the album, and will be a favorite at concerts for sure. "Into the Future" works kind of like an A Day to Remember song with its poppy clean vocals mixed with harsh metal screams. Title track and closer "We Will All Evolve" is a strong and heavy finish. I went out pretend moshing, that's for sure.

Lyrically, I found nothing too appealing. That's not to say that the older Wentworth isn't a decent lyricist. Just nothing that I found personally moving. I'm sure they'll be someone out there who will disagree though, (won't be first time surely) and who found the album a life-changing experience lyric-wise. Production is good, but nothing extraordinary. It works for the type of music that it is.

Musically, vocally, and anything band-wise as I said earlier, has improved greatly. Trevor's progress is most notable and may draw in more fans who were previously unimpressed. Then again, some people may not like the transition to a more metalcore sound. I found myself thoroughly impressed throughout. Matt Wentworth very well may be one of the next big guitarists of the post-hardcore scene. His talent will not, and should not go unnoticed. Overall, this New Hampshire five-piece have not only outdone their last effort, they may have crafted one of my favorite albums of 2010. But, we still have a little ways to go.

Recommended If You LikeMetalcore, post-hardcore

The Band IsMatt Wentworth - Lead Guitar/Clean Vocals
Trevor Wentworth - Screamed Vocals
Colin Perry - Rhythm Guitar
Alex Woodrow - Bass
Tim Molloy - Drums

Our Last Night's Myspace
Buy It
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 68
01:44 AM on 05/14/10
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
boo
02:40 AM on 05/14/10
KellinQuinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Here is the most frustrating thing to me about our music scene today, we have people reviewing records that think they know something about music. How can you listen to this record and think there is nothing special? Did you listen to thirty seconds of each song? or in its entirety? Because I think its a fantastic record, Vocals are amazing! musicianship outstanding/ more than technical. Matt Wentworth does a fantastic job of not only writing inspiring technical guitar rifts, he also sings hooks that get stuck in your head after one listen. He accomplishes both spot on as well, which is a feet for a musician his age, not to mention he does a majority of the composing himself.

Younger brother Trevor Wentworth's screams are a HUGE improvement. Since when did you have to be able to scream high, or low, or squeal to be a successful screaming vocalist in a band? What happened to being able to provide the crescendo, the energy, the dynamic to a song? It seems to me, that the only thing unoriginal about "post hardcore" "screamo" "emo" or what have you, Is the fact that you cant be original at all.. Music USED to be about writing/performing something that meant something to "you". A successful band was the one that connected with there audience and made them feel like they understood where you were coming from. Now there are what 5 maybe 6 bands in a scene that apparently set the standard, and all the rest of the artists are just copying what was done before? Guess what, Its ALL been done before so lets get over this stupid misconception that there is still hope to being some Super band that figured out some grand alternative and wrote something completely NEW it will never happen.

Lets instead enjoy records for what they do provide, This record should be rated above average. I think it is one of the better records for 2010. Our Last Night have come together to write an album that is listenable over and over again. So Congrats Guys! you did a GREAT job, from a fan standpoint and a musician right along side you, love the record. Im tired of seeing music turn into an industry ran business. Its sad to see bands break up, but how can you really blame them? Nothing they write will ever be good enough.. according to critics, and even if it is good enough most young adults will just illegally download the record off the internet anyway, instead of spending a whopping 10 dollars to help support the bands they like.. awesome! regardless The FACT is you have to listen to a cd in its entirety try and appreciate what this band was trying to convey when they sat down and spent time on it. Im sure you will more then enjoy it.
04:01 AM on 05/14/10
Jasper112
Registered Member
User Info.
Here is the most frustrating thing to me about our music scene today, we have people reviewing records that think they know something about music. How can you listen to this record and think there is nothing special? Did you listen to thirty seconds of each song? or in its entirety? Because I think its a fantastic record, Vocals are amazing! musicianship outstanding/ more than technical. Matt Wentworth does a fantastic job of not only writing inspiring technical guitar rifts, he also sings hooks that get stuck in your head after one listen. He accomplishes both spot on as well, which is a feet for a musician his age, not to mention he does a majority of the composing himself.

Younger brother Trevor Wentworth's screams are a HUGE improvement. Since when did you have to be able to scream high, or low, or squeal to be a successful screaming vocalist in a band? What happened to being able to provide the crescendo, the energy, the dynamic to a song? It seems to me, that the only thing unoriginal about "post hardcore" "screamo" "emo" or what have you, Is the fact that you cant be original at all.. Music USED to be about writing/performing something that meant something to "you". A successful band was the one that connected with there audience and made them feel like they understood where you were coming from. Now there are what 5 maybe 6 bands in a scene that apparently set the standard, and all the rest of the artists are just copying what was done before? Guess what, Its ALL been done before so lets get over this stupid misconception that there is still hope to being some Super band that figured out some grand alternative and wrote something completely NEW it will never happen.

Lets instead enjoy records for what they do provide, This record should be rated above average. I think it is one of the better records for 2010. Our Last Night have come together to write an album that is listenable over and over again. So Congrats Guys! you did a GREAT job, from a fan standpoint and a musician right along side you, love the record. Im tired of seeing music turn into an industry ran business. Its sad to see bands break up, but how can you really blame them? Nothing they write will ever be good enough.. according to critics, and even if it is good enough most young adults will just illegally download the record off the internet anyway, instead of spending a whopping 10 dollars to help support the bands they like.. awesome! regardless The FACT is you have to listen to a cd in its entirety try and appreciate what this band was trying to convey when they sat down and spent time on it. Im sure you will more then enjoy it.
Amen brotha! Though I do not agree with everything u said, i do like ur passion and fully support the first paragraph. These guys are hugely talented musicians and write frigging catchy songs.
04:48 AM on 05/14/10
punkDbass
User Info.
i really really liked their last cd but im not sure what i think about this one, il have to pick it up eventually
05:42 AM on 05/14/10
harley7733
Reluctant Registered User
User Info.

No sir, you seem to be the one who's mistaken. If you think that this album is not another generaic, run-of-the-mill album that you could slap any other band of this genre's name on and not blink twice, then you may be the one who is wrong. You seemed to have settled on the fact that nothing can be original anymore, but there are many inspiring and innovative bands coming out of other genres who are doing it, and bands in this genre (Thrice, Emery, etc.) as well who are trying to raise the bar. The fact of the matter is, is this albu bad? No. But will you remember this record after the next band makes a similar record (you probably have to wait maybe six months tops!)? The answer is again no. Music doesnt always have to be original, but at least have something that sets you apart, instead of just making whats been done countless times before in the very too near past.
05:56 AM on 05/14/10
AdmissionRegret
Fightin' Round The World
User Info.
No sir, you seem to be the one who's mistaken. If you think that this album is not another generaic, run-of-the-mill album that you could slap any other band of this genre's name on and not blink twice, then you may be the one who is wrong. You seemed to have settled on the fact that nothing can be original anymore, but there are many inspiring and innovative bands coming out of other genres who are doing it, and bands in this genre (Thrice, Emery, etc.) as well who are trying to raise the bar. The fact of the matter is, is this albu bad? No. But will you remember this record after the next band makes a similar record (you probably have to wait maybe six months tops!)? The answer is again no. Music doesnt always have to be original, but at least have something that sets you apart, instead of just making whats been done countless times before in the very too near past.
If you think Emery are more innovative than this band you are delusional haha.
Get a clue.
06:08 AM on 05/14/10
tottivillarossi
these pretzels are makin me thirsty
User Info.
Matt Wentworth's lyrics seem to be better than most of the scenes.
06:31 AM on 05/14/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
You both like the album, so why nitpick eachother? Lame.
07:23 AM on 05/14/10
Corey Hoffy
I refuse to spend life on my knees
User Info.

Well, you seem to have very strong feelings about this band. Maybe you should write a review as well. I'd happily read it.

But, I'm confused. Were you nitpicking at my review or...? Because, I gave the album positive marks. An 80% on my grading scale is slightly above average. I'd call anywhere in the 70s to be average personally. Just curious.
07:44 AM on 05/14/10
seanr91
User Info.

Thank you. Maybe you should write a review for the album.
08:16 AM on 05/14/10
Richard Maxim
Life: April Fools
User Info.
If you think Emery are more innovative than this band you are delusional haha.
Get a clue.

you must be if you think that emery. One of the most distinguishable bands in the genre.
08:17 AM on 05/14/10
pnkhrdwndr
User Info.
We all evolve is the best title they could have used for this album. The screamer learned to scream. they realized that singing can still be cool. their music is much stronger from the debut.
I was surprised when I listened to this by just how much I really liked it. their first cd is good but the screamed vocals made it near unlistenable for me.
This is definitely one of the more memorable metalcore cd's to come out this year. I can't wait to see them perform these new songs.
08:24 AM on 05/14/10
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
I love this album. The choruses in every song are so goddamn catchy. Great improvements in every area.
08:26 AM on 05/14/10
vivatoto56
Your wick won't burn away
User Info.
Good review (reading some of these other user reviews is starting to get tiring), even though I very much so disliked this release.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos