Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 68
01:36 PM on 05/14/10
KellinQuinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
No sir, you seem to be the one who's mistaken. If you think that this album is not another generaic, run-of-the-mill album that you could slap any other band of this genre's name on and not blink twice, then you may be the one who is wrong. You seemed to have settled on the fact that nothing can be original anymore, but there are many inspiring and innovative bands coming out of other genres who are doing it, and bands in this genre (Thrice, Emery, etc.) as well who are trying to raise the bar. The fact of the matter is, is this albu bad? No. But will you remember this record after the next band makes a similar record (you probably have to wait maybe six months tops!)? The answer is again no. Music doesnt always have to be original, but at least have something that sets you apart, instead of just making whats been done countless times before in the very too near past.
When were you born? Did you hear music in the 90's? It all sounded the same, why because that was the market and contrary to modern belief it is also nice to get paid for what you love ;) So many bands write similar styles because its what sells its what is popular. The reason I responded with what I wrote is because, while Our last night stays in the realm of popularity they do step out of the box to offer something more. All I'm trying to say is give credit where it is do.. This band is not a Attack Attack cover band, they have substance they write heavy music with creative breakdowns, something that bands like Thrice I'm sure contributed to. Bands influence bands, Bands like the Refused, and At the drive in, influenced bands like thrice, bands like Thrice influenced bands like Emery. Is that to say that if you don't shred the whole time, or write off beat drum parts that your unoriginal? come on! shame on you.
01:42 PM on 05/14/10
KellinQuinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with your points. Non-musicians who like this kind of music will love this album, and I did love it. But as a critic, I still have to point out the flaws that I find in music. This album has its share. I'm not angry at the flaws, but they are there. But, every album has flaws. It's still a great album, in my opinion.
cool man understandable :) thanks for writing back
02:53 PM on 05/14/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Here is the most frustrating thing to me about our music scene today, we have people reviewing records that think they know something about music. How can you listen to this record and think there is nothing special? Did you listen to thirty seconds of each song? or in its entirety? Because I think its a fantastic record, Vocals are amazing! musicianship outstanding/ more than technical. Matt Wentworth does a fantastic job of not only writing inspiring technical guitar rifts, he also sings hooks that get stuck in your head after one listen. He accomplishes both spot on as well, which is a feet for a musician his age, not to mention he does a majority of the composing himself.

Younger brother Trevor Wentworth's screams are a HUGE improvement. Since when did you have to be able to scream high, or low, or squeal to be a successful screaming vocalist in a band? What happened to being able to provide the crescendo, the energy, the dynamic to a song? It seems to me, that the only thing unoriginal about "post hardcore" "screamo" "emo" or what have you, Is the fact that you cant be original at all.. Music USED to be about writing/performing something that meant something to "you". A successful band was the one that connected with there audience and made them feel like they understood where you were coming from. Now there are what 5 maybe 6 bands in a scene that apparently set the standard, and all the rest of the artists are just copying what was done before? Guess what, Its ALL been done before so lets get over this stupid misconception that there is still hope to being some Super band that figured out some grand alternative and wrote something completely NEW it will never happen.

Lets instead enjoy records for what they do provide, This record should be rated above average. I think it is one of the better records for 2010. Our Last Night have come together to write an album that is listenable over and over again. So Congrats Guys! you did a GREAT job, from a fan standpoint and a musician right along side you, love the record. Im tired of seeing music turn into an industry ran business. Its sad to see bands break up, but how can you really blame them? Nothing they write will ever be good enough.. according to critics, and even if it is good enough most young adults will just illegally download the record off the internet anyway, instead of spending a whopping 10 dollars to help support the bands they like.. awesome! regardless The FACT is you have to listen to a cd in its entirety try and appreciate what this band was trying to convey when they sat down and spent time on it. Im sure you will more then enjoy it.

Please keep in mind that there is room, when evaluating music, for perspective.

While you may demand that this album "should be rated above average," Corey Hoffy might think otherwise. Perhaps he has been listening to metalcore for a long time, and finds that, while the band did do a good job on the album, their sound is just too redundant for him. Perhaps you are new to this genre, or just happen to appreciate this genre more than others (I don't know you personally, so I can't say for sure). Perhaps this, perhaps that, but the point is, there is room for differing opinions.

As music consumers, we have to right to make our voice heard, whether you agree with our voices or not. Take away our voices, and you will see a mad rise of awful, low quality bands. Our voices serve as quality control - we give praise to the bands we like. But everyone is allowed to have their own opinions, and that is the salient point.
03:34 PM on 05/14/10
Max_123
@HeyMaxSup
User Info.
I don't care if this album is generic, they put out one of the best albums of (inset genre name here)
they do everything the right way and the album has the perfect mix of heavy parts with really good melody
03:42 PM on 05/14/10
SomedayTheFire
when I die there'll be no trumpets
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Someone tell me how 83% is average?
06:30 PM on 05/14/10
ShortyNC
In The Final Curtain Call
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Someone tell me how 83% is average?
(100/2) = 83
10:54 PM on 05/14/10
TROKyle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

While you may demand that this album "should be rated above average," Corey Hoffy might think otherwise. Perhaps he has been listening to metalcore for a long time, and finds that, while the band did do a good job on the album, their sound is just too redundant for him. Perhaps you are new to this genre, or just happen to appreciate this genre more than others (I don't know you personally, so I can't say for sure). Perhaps this, perhaps that, but the point is, there is room for differing opinions.

As music consumers, we have to right to make our voice heard, whether you agree with our voices or not. Take away our voices, and you will see a mad rise of awful, low quality bands. Our voices serve as quality control - we give praise to the bands we like. But everyone is allowed to have their own opinions, and that is the salient point.

I agree with what you're saying about perspective; just figured I'd point out that if that is truly Kellin Quinn he is the furthest thing from new to this genre - his band Sleeping With Sirens is on Rise and just put out their debut CD. Kid has an astounding voice - if this genre isn't for you I would highly recommend watching some of his acoustic videos on YouTube. Sure his voice is high pitched and often a hit or miss for people but it really is one of the best voices out there - and he nails everything live. Incredible performance.
11:11 PM on 05/14/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
02:32 PM on 05/15/10
KellinQuinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

@ Matthew Tsai Hey man, I can agree with that :) thats why I said what I said in the first place. good words
02:34 PM on 05/15/10
KellinQuinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I agree with what you're saying about perspective; just figured I'd point out that if that is truly Kellin Quinn he is the furthest thing from new to this genre - his band Sleeping With Sirens is on Rise and just put out their debut CD. Kid has an astounding voice - if this genre isn't for you I would highly recommend watching some of his acoustic videos on YouTube. Sure his voice is high pitched and often a hit or miss for people but it really is one of the best voices out there - and he nails everything live. Incredible performance.
@TROKyle thanks my man that was very nice of you to say :)
10:43 PM on 05/15/10
TROKyle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
@TROKyle thanks my man that was very nice of you to say :)
No problem man. You absolutely blew any expectations I had away =D.
Next time you guys come back to Buffalo I'll be there again.
02:15 PM on 05/17/10
harley7733
Reluctant Registered User
User Info.
When were you born? Did you hear music in the 90's? It all sounded the same, why because that was the market and contrary to modern belief it is also nice to get paid for what you love ;) So many bands write similar styles because its what sells its what is popular. The reason I responded with what I wrote is because, while Our last night stays in the realm of popularity they do step out of the box to offer something more. All I'm trying to say is give credit where it is do.. This band is not a Attack Attack cover band, they have substance they write heavy music with creative breakdowns, something that bands like Thrice I'm sure contributed to. Bands influence bands, Bands like the Refused, and At the drive in, influenced bands like thrice, bands like Thrice influenced bands like Emery. Is that to say that if you don't shred the whole time, or write off beat drum parts that your unoriginal? come on! shame on you.
Thats not what Im saying at all, and if thats what you got from my comment then Im sorry. Im also sorry that you would let creativity suffer for popularity. I also do not approve of the unoriginality of the '90's and the '80's metal scene for that matter, the fact that youd think I would confuses me. I do give Our Last Night recognition for trying to differ, if only slightly, from the formula, but that doesnt mean that that makes them great or worthy of praise. This maybe harsh to hear for fanboys of this band and genre for that matter, but i think this genre just needs to go the way of hairmetal and grunge and just fade away. If people dont start making better, more innovative records, Im sure it wont be long at all.
03:56 PM on 05/17/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Here is the most frustrating thing to me about our music scene today, we have people reviewing records that think they know something about music. How can you listen to this record and think there is nothing special? Did you listen to thirty seconds of each song? or in its entirety? Because I think its a fantastic record, Vocals are amazing! musicianship outstanding/ more than technical. Matt Wentworth does a fantastic job of not only writing inspiring technical guitar rifts, he also sings hooks that get stuck in your head after one listen. He accomplishes both spot on as well, which is a feet for a musician his age, not to mention he does a majority of the composing himself.

Younger brother Trevor Wentworth's screams are a HUGE improvement. Since when did you have to be able to scream high, or low, or squeal to be a successful screaming vocalist in a band? What happened to being able to provide the crescendo, the energy, the dynamic to a song? It seems to me, that the only thing unoriginal about "post hardcore" "screamo" "emo" or what have you, Is the fact that you cant be original at all.. Music USED to be about writing/performing something that meant something to "you". A successful band was the one that connected with there audience and made them feel like they understood where you were coming from. Now there are what 5 maybe 6 bands in a scene that apparently set the standard, and all the rest of the artists are just copying what was done before? Guess what, Its ALL been done before so lets get over this stupid misconception that there is still hope to being some Super band that figured out some grand alternative and wrote something completely NEW it will never happen.

Lets instead enjoy records for what they do provide, This record should be rated above average. I think it is one of the better records for 2010. Our Last Night have come together to write an album that is listenable over and over again. So Congrats Guys! you did a GREAT job, from a fan standpoint and a musician right along side you, love the record. Im tired of seeing music turn into an industry ran business. Its sad to see bands break up, but how can you really blame them? Nothing they write will ever be good enough.. according to critics, and even if it is good enough most young adults will just illegally download the record off the internet anyway, instead of spending a whopping 10 dollars to help support the bands they like.. awesome! regardless The FACT is you have to listen to a cd in its entirety try and appreciate what this band was trying to convey when they sat down and spent time on it. Im sure you will more then enjoy it.
Wow, it seems you really enjoyed this. I heard their previous album and just passed them off as a Silverstein clone. I might check this out now.
07:10 PM on 05/17/10
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.

THIS! agree.
06:48 PM on 05/20/10
silent_platypus
Elected Asskicker
User Info.
I love this album. The choruses in every song are so goddamn catchy. Great improvements in every area.
^The worst thing is HEARING how well they perform them live but being locked outside of the venue and not being able to see it. My last night sucked cause I couldn't see Our Last Night.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos