AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
 Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Reviewed by: Russ Hockenbury (09/04/06)
Lemuria/Kind Of Like SpittingYour Living Room’s All Over Me
Release Date: July 4, 2006
Label: Art of the Underground

Lemuria

You can’t help but smile listening to Lemuria. The Buffalo three-piece are just a lot of fun. It doesn’t hurt that Sheena Ozzella closely resembles every bespectacled cutie I’ve ever fallen in love with on the other side of the coffeeshop counter or in the vinyl section of the local record store either.

Heavily influenced by the work of 90s punk-rockers Discount, Ozzella’s delivery is decidedly less snotty, though otherwise identical, to that of frontwoman Alison Mosshart. It’s less abrasive because it has to be. At first glance, one might even call Lemuria’s brand of punkless (not punchless) pop “sterile”. That is, up until you hear Ozzella drop the f-bomb amidst the rollercoaster pacing of the split’s opener, “Hours”. Not since Jenny Lewis asked her emphatic question on “Glendora” has a female vocalist cursed with such panache. The stuffy-nosed warble of Alex Kerns makes him a more than capable second vocalist. Coupled with Ozzella’s very feminine tone, they deliver a fanciful duet on “Sophomore”.

Is that a Nick Drake album in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?: “Hours”, “Sophomore”, “Bristles and Whiskers”

Girls! Girls! Girls! And guys!: Rilo Kiley, Discount, The Headlights

Rating: 9/10

Kind of Like Spitting

Ben Barnett is the Dean Martin of indie songwriters. Dean recorded more than 100 albums. Comparatively, Ben has about a dozen under his belt with Kind Of Like Spitting. Ok, there’s a huge disparity. However, in a scene where your average band spends two to three years between albums it’s still damned prolific and Kind of Like Spitting is extremely talented. That being said, the band’s work here isn’t their best.

The lovelorn plodding of “Afraid of Crushes” nearly recaptures the mood of one of my all-time favorite KOLS tracks, “Valentine’s Day Is Over”. Unfortunately, it doesn’t show the same spikes in life. Instead, “Afraid of Crushes” keeps the emotional pulse too steady and faint to create any lasting value. The fuzzy disaccord of “Shallow Doses”, with its pounding, train-like guitars is a keeper. The rest of the lot are what you might expect to find in a catalog of b-sides.

For medicinal purposes only: “Why I Smoke Mad Weed”

Peter Lawford was a no-talent hack: Death Cab For Cutie, Desaparecidos, Pedro the Lion

Rating: 5/10

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
07:23 PM on 09/04/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
sounds like lemuria has really increased their skills since i reviewed their self-titled EP. i should check this out.

Wow, look at Darren reviewing the small bands. Ha.
08:00 PM on 09/04/06
3DaysIn
User Info.
I LOVE Discount. I need to check this out.
08:11 PM on 09/04/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
Count it.
10:36 PM on 09/04/06
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
Russ Hockenbury reviews sexually excite me.

I never really got into KOLS.
12:04 AM on 09/05/06
ohhdeath
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ahhh i love kols
07:58 PM on 09/05/06
coatbutton
User Info.
when you look at the list of album reviews, it says you gave it a 37%.
11:45 PM on 09/05/06
televisioneyes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is an incredible album, mainly for the Lemuria half. Some of the Lemuria songs actually have a Rentals feel to it, but with a female vocalist on the lead. the KOLS side is good, but it unfortunately lives in the shadow of Lemuria.
11:55 PM on 09/05/06
savoir unfaire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
thanks for the review! you can pick this album up here: www.artoftheunderground.com

also, for a little correction on the review. the male vocalist in Lemuria is actually Alex Kerns (the drummer), not Jason Draper (who is the bassist...)
04:27 AM on 09/06/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
thanks for the review! you can pick this album up here: www.artoftheunderground.com

also, for a little correction on the review. the male vocalist in Lemuria is actually Alex Kerns (the drummer), not Jason Draper (who is the bassist...)

fixed!
05:27 AM on 09/06/06
savoir unfaire
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i noticed the author rating is 37% when the review was pretty good. is that a mistake?
10:53 PM on 04/12/08
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
i noticed the author rating is 37% when the review was pretty good. is that a mistake?

Yes. The rating is off because he did not rate three of the topics. With the items that he did rate, it comes to a 73%. However, because of the three blank items, it drops the overall score down in the main listing.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests