Username
Password
Against Me! News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Against Me!
Inside AP.net

Absolute Insight: Against Me!

Posted by: Garett Press (05/10/10)
The latest clip added to our youtube channel features Tom Gabel of Against Me! discussing why the group's fans are particularly endearing. If you count yourself among them, the band's new album, White Crosses, can be yours on June 8th. Tom Gabel will also be chatting with us live, 5/20 at 1pm PST / 4pm EST.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
11:03 AM on 05/10/10
Garett Press
User Info.

Against Me!
White Crosses (Sire Records)
Release Date: June 8, 2010

For Against Me! frontman Tom Gabel, sometimes you have to get the hell, out just to find your way back in. The past 12 years have seen Gabel rise from acoustic folk-punk gunslinger in the dives of Gainesville, Florida to releasing Against Me!’s four searing, blood-smeared slices of scrappy punk. The last of which, 2007’s New Wave, was the major label debut, one that Spin magazine anointed as their Album Of The Year. And while Gainesville was home, Gabel felt the walls closing in when touring for New Wave came to an end. So he split. With his wife, he left behind the “didja-hear-about-so-and-so” insular Gainesville world for the sleepy beach town of St. Augustine, wandering the streets and driving dusty back roads: searching, pining, hoping for inspiration.

He found it in spades. The result is White Crosses, as powerful and as bold a rock record as one can imagine. The band ¬– Gabel, guitarist James Bowman, bassist Andrew Seward and new drummer George Rebelo – roar like fighter jets screaming over a stadium on the anthemic title-track (with its shout along line about smashing the 4,000 crosses on a local church’s lawn, ones that signify the number of babies aborted each day in the U.S.). Joining that is the escapist fury of “Spanish Moss,” and the short stick of dynamite, “Rapid Decompression.” New Wave eschewed some of the roughness of the band’s earlier efforts, but White Crosses goes even further in filling out the band’s wallop. With its twinkling piano and a glorious whoa-oa chorus, “Because Of The Shame” could be an outtake from Bruce Springsteen’s classic Born To Run. “Ache With Me” is a slow-jam that would make Paul Westerberg blush, while “High Pressure Low” is Billy Idol meets fellow Gainesville native Tom Petty. “This is my Florida record,” says Gabel. “"I spent a lot of time writing this record while driving directionless on forgotten Florida state roads, highly caffeinated, with albums like [Petty's] Full Moon Fever blasting on my stereo."

Producer Butch Vig – who also helmed New Wave – pushed the band to make White Crosses more dynamic while retaining the bruising roundhouse rights they’ve thrown since their 2001 debut Reinventing Axl Rose. "Looking at it now I think [Vig] was a little conservative with New Wave. He didn't want to come in and scare us, says Gabel. "I think it was an unspoken agreement this time around that we were going to push ourselves farther than we ever had before. No direction was off limits. I'm not afraid of melody. I have visions of playing these songs in stadiums, looking out and seeing an ocean of people singing along."

The album, the band’s second for Sire Records, will be released on June 8th, 2010. Against Me! will also release an EP titled I Was a Teenage Anarchist, which will be available on iTunes beginning April 20th, 2010.
11:10 AM on 05/10/10
ACA
Next Show: MotionCitySoundtrack @NY
User Info.
The record industry is so fucked it's absurd.

This album has been widely available for 2 months, the band is playing more than half of it on their tours, and the fans who want to buy the album have to wait another month.

It's hilarious, yet sad.

I understand there are contractual obligations/planning that goes hand-in-hand with a June 8 date, but the record labels and bands need to identify which of those contracts/obligations need to be eliminated/updated. Hardworking bands like Against Me! suffer.

-ACA
12:03 PM on 05/10/10
JCCC
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love love love the new album. It also bums me out that it was leaked so early and the band probably won't get the success it deserves.
12:33 PM on 05/10/10
touchofgrey04
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Can't lie — I'm still one of those AM! fans way more drawn to the early acoustic EP's/demos and Reinventing Axl Rose. That acoustic-folk punk sound hasn't left me ever since I heard "Walking Is Still Honest" (the version on Crime, to be specific). So my impression of their new album is a little biased. But nonetheless, they are one of the best live bands I've ever seen and I hope they keep doing what they want to do.
12:47 PM on 05/10/10
cbriggs
Mad as a hatter thin as a dime..
User Info.
"I have visions of playing these songs in stadiums"

Years ago I wouldn't have believed he said that, they deserve all the success this record hopefully brings them. I think if they would have had a break out single though it would have been "Thrash Unreal" and not "Teenage Anarchist". Also ACA was right the release date should have been pushed up for the albulm to even have a chance.
01:35 PM on 05/10/10
Phil507
Cynical and sarcastic dick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
"Because Of The Shame" is my song of the year so far.
02:24 PM on 05/10/10
osceola13
In Yzerman We Trust
User Info.
Nothing will ever change my love for this band. I've seen them in all sorts of venues throughout Florida from arenas to the amazing night they played the 1231 house show in gainesville and every show has been fantastic. "Bamboo Bones" and "Because of the Shame" are my current favorite tracks but that changes every time I listen to the new album.
04:35 PM on 05/10/10
Jukebox Romeo
User Info.
I don't understand all the love the new album is getting... I think it's really boring. Regardless, Reinventing Axl Rose is still one of my favorite albums of all time and I love this band. They deserve it.
06:07 PM on 05/10/10
DearShithead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Is there any more to this interview?

The record industry is so fucked it's absurd.

This album has been widely available for 2 months, the band is playing more than half of it on their tours, and the fans who want to buy the album have to wait another month.

It's hilarious, yet sad.

I understand there are contractual obligations/planning that goes hand-in-hand with a June 8 date, but the record labels and bands need to identify which of those contracts/obligations need to be eliminated/updated. Hardworking bands like Against Me! suffer.

-ACA

And this. I still haven't heard the album, and I feel like I'm way behind.
09:10 PM on 05/10/10
DryEarth
Woo!
User Info.
So much respect for this band. Excited for this.
09:15 PM on 05/10/10
LaughingAtYou
It's really just apathy.
User Info.
Don't really like the new album. Some songs are just ok but I will always love this band...
12:27 AM on 05/11/10
Chalie22
User Info.
"I have visions of playing these songs in stadiums"

Years ago I wouldn't have believed he said that, they deserve all the success this record hopefully brings them. I think if they would have had a break out single though it would have been "Thrash Unreal" and not "Teenage Anarchist". Also ACA was right the release date should have been pushed up for the albulm to even have a chance.

It's just so weird to hear a lyric going "we want a band who plays loud and hard everynight and doesn't care how many people counted at the door" and then eight years later hearing him say that.

I'm all for Against Me! gaining success because they deserve it. I have been seeing them live here in Philadelphia since 2003 where they went from the First Unitarian Church to the Electric Factory and I wish them the best. In my opinion they turned out to be the new Replacements of the 2000 era and thats not a bad thing in my eyes.

It just goes to show that people do change over time but the song still remain.
Options
Related News Stories
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums