AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

General Announcement News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Technology Round-Up (05/10/10)

Posted by - 10:42 PM on 05/10/10
Check out this week's technology round-up in the replies.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
10:42 PM on 05/10/10
Linda Ferreira
The Retired Maillady
User Info.
Technology Round-Up Poll

One of the original computer pioneers has passed away. Before he died, he became skeptical of the devices, reporting in that he had not "touched a computer, watched TV or used a credit card in 15 years." Will we ultimately become slaves to our technology? [Poll]

Apple

Apple's vendetta against Flash might be caused by its developing a competing format. So much for relying on HTML5.

Women report that iPhones hurt their sex lives. Any women out there care to comment?

New details about the iPhone 4 confirm an HD screen. Also, check out the latest features of iPhone OS 4.0 beta 3.

It appears that Verizon will not be getting the iPhone this year.

The iPhone 3G can now run Android OS.

Apple may incorporate heartrate censors as a means of security for iPhone users.

Visa plans to have everyone swiping their iPhones instead of their credit cards this summer.

The iPad is going international in nine countries. Though reports indicate that everyone is buying iPads instead of netbooks, well-known blogger Paul Thurrott reports that the numbers are hardly conclusive.

Nokia is suing Apple over five patents.

Mac OS X 10.6.4 will address graphical issues and improv Windows file sharing.

New Macbook Pros have a utility for switching between onboard graphics and discrete NVIDIA graphics to conserve battery life or experience better performance.

Internet

Add Facebook 'likes' to your WordPress Blog. Or, if you're as fed up as I am with the new privacy policy shenanigans as I am, read the top ten reasons to quit and find an alternative social networking site.

Microsoft tests out Internet Explorer 9 and actually adheres to some web standards this time around.

Wikipedia now offers custom books to be made from any articles on its site.

Playboy is debuting a safe-for-work site, for people who "read it for the articles".

HTML 5's audio tag could open the doors to online audio editing.

Craig's List adult ads are under scrutiny...again.

Recent statistics show that Chrome is the the fastest growing web browser, with Internet Explorer dropping below 60% market share.

Skype is adding a 5-way calling feature.

Google

Google just purchased OS overlay BumpTop. Does this mean 3D Chrome desktop is coming soon?

Two wind farms in North Carolina were recently purchased by Google.

Google will soon sell e-books by the end of July.

Google Chrome is FAST. This ad shows just how fast.

New search interface on Google looks more like Bing, but isn't totally functioning on mobile devices just yet. If you hate it, you can download Google Classic for Chrome or Firefox.

Later in the year, all Google Apps users will have full access to all services.

Electronics

Borders' e-reader Kobo is now available for
pre-order.

If you want to build a time machine, it's apparently pretty simple.

TomTom XL and XXL are now available in the US, with 7 million POIs each. The new TomTom Voice Pack lets Darth Vader give you directions.

Mail in your Warner Bros DVDs + $4.95 to convert them to Blu-Rays.

Apparently the TiVo Effect doesn't exist.

Watch a Motorola Droid solve a Rubik's Cube in 24 seconds.

This 3D printer makes ice sculptures.

The new TI-Nspire has a sweet new touchpad sure to make nerds everywhere rejoice.

nPower's PEG Personal Energy Generator uses your energy to recharge batteries and electronics.

Look for the Archos Vision 3 this summer, it's got all the capabilities of and iPod Nano but also takes pictures AND costs less than $100.

Mobile

This Motorola Droid robot can solve a Rubix Cube in under 20 seconds.

Will this be the ugliest Blackberry ever?

The private beta of SlingPlayer for Android is already out and undergoing testing.

The Meizu M9 may be out this August with Android 2.1.

The Sprint HTC Evo should be able to be preordered this month.

UK's Milestone is getting the Android 2.1 update.

T-Mobile customers are having a tough time upgrading to the HTC HD 2, with the phone only being offered to new customers.

The Samsung Moment and HTC Hero will be upgraded to Android 2.1 in Quarter 2.

Sooyu has unboxed and reviewed the Lenovo LePhone before its release in China.

AT&T Palm Pre Plus and 3G MicroCell will be available May 16.

Computer

Intel predicts that we will have 10GHz processors by next year.

It looks like the HP Hurricane tablet (now powered by WebOS) will be released in the third quarter of 2010. Meanwhile, the ExoPC Slate runs Windows 7 and can reportedly play back 1080p videos, a feat which the iPad cannot claim.

While people like to argue that Windows 7 uses too much power, the latest version of Ubuntu actually consumes more power. Microsoft's latest operating system also migh be faster than the popular Linux distro.

A new hard drive technology allows drives to store data at one terabyte per inch.

The latest version of Google Chrome has quite a few speed enhancements.

Google has purchased BumpTop Desktop, 3D desktop software which has been featured in previous round-ups.

Miscellaneous

Try turning that old shirt you never wear anymore into an apron.

A $20,000 surfboard? Sounds like a wipeout in your bank account.

Sociologists invaded World of Warcraft and analyzed the behavior of players.

Check out the sweet gadgets from Iron Man 2.

Underwater kites can fix our climate problems.

The Pentagon is researching implants that can repair damaged brains.

A bracelet battery?
Awesome.

Watch the most dangerous army weapon in action.

According to Stephen Hawking, building a time machine isn't hard: "All you need is a wormhole, the Large Hadron Collider or a rocket that goes really, really fast." Why not build your own?

Tips/Tricks

Jailbreak any Apple mobile device.

Use a T-Mobile connection on an iPad and connect an iPad to an external hard drive.

Make the Windows 7 taskbar work for you.

All Windows 7 users can now enable Dreamscene backgrounds.

ErrMsg will identify Windows error codes.

Send files conveniently and easily with WeTransfer.

Check grammar and spelling on Google Chrome with After the Deadline.

Avoid digital procrastination and stay focused on your work with these 10 tips.

----
Contributors: Sarcasm, klawansie7, CyberInferno

Feel free to voice your comments and suggestions in the replies.
11:04 PM on 05/10/10
HoldThatSound
racaaabeef
User Info.
If iPhone did come to verizon, would it require a 30 dollar extra data plan?
11:06 PM on 05/10/10
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
I knew apple was up to some shenanigans with all their flash hate....

also, woot for the hero getting 2.1. I feel loved. That evo does look nifty though....
11:14 PM on 05/10/10
Jake Denning
User Info.
If iPhone did come to verizon, would it require a 30 dollar extra data plan?

Oh yes
11:27 PM on 05/10/10
HoldThatSound
racaaabeef
User Info.
That's so gay, and most of their phones require 10 dollar data plan a month. I don't even care about Internet on my phone haha. But whatever, I guess I'll just have to get something else that's is 10/month instead of 30 haha. I have an upgrade
11:54 PM on 05/10/10
XLT917
We're never dead unless we give up.
User Info.
I've been waiting for a three way or more video chat that's not Ichat, too bad it's not going to stay free.
11:57 PM on 05/10/10
JustinSxE
I broke edge like 3 years ago...awk
User Info.
I am so glad that Apple's finally getting sued.
/microsoftfanboy

EDIT: I have another reason to hate my x64 bit OS.
01:31 AM on 05/11/10
sooperdoodey
User Info.
What are American iPhone plans like?

In Australia pay $49 a month for 250mb of data and $350 of credit, with text message costing 25c, calls cost like 30c to connect, and then like a little under 90c/min. Plus $10 a month for 1gb of data and another $10 for the 32gb 3GS {as opposed to $5 for 16gb, and $0 for 3G}.

What's an equivalent American plan cost? I keep getting the feeling I'm getting ripped the fuck off, just like everything in Australia compared to America. My laptop cost $970USD from HP with a corporate discount, in Australia they're selling it for $2400-$2800AUD. Shit is retarded.
01:41 AM on 05/11/10
Auals
studiocity.bandcamp.com
User Info.

In Australia pay $49 a month for 250mb of data and $350 of credit, with text message costing 25c, calls cost like 30c to connect, and then like a little under 90c/min. Plus $10 a month for 1gb of data and another $10 for the 32gb 3GS {as opposed to $5 for 16gb, and $0 for 3G}.

What's an equivalent American plan cost? I keep getting the feeling I'm getting ripped the fuck off, just like everything in Australia compared to America. My laptop cost $970USD from HP with a corporate discount, in Australia they're selling it for $2400-$2800AUD. Shit is retarded.
My macbook pro cost me $4000 a little over a year ago, the same laptop (with an i7 in it) is now $2400. So yeah, I feel the same

And I don't make calls, but my iphone bill on Optus is currently 79$ a month, free texts, 700$ of calls (350$ to anyone, $350 is optus specific, I wanted free text, sue me). That's including the 19$ for the 3GS. I think that's pretty good. We get ripped of badly for phone bills. Everyone knows it. There's nothing we can do about it except move. Plus, I use skype for almost everything now, and with my iPhone jailbroken and set up to make VoiP calls over EDGE, I can wait till my contract runs out and basically just get a data plan from then on.
02:09 AM on 05/11/10
sooperdoodey
User Info.
My macbook pro cost me $4000 a little over a year ago, the same laptop (with an i7 in it) is now $2400. So yeah, I feel the same

And I don't make calls, but my iphone bill on Optus is currently 79$ a month, free texts, 700$ of calls (350$ to anyone, $350 is optus specific, I wanted free text, sue me). That's including the 19$ for the 3GS. I think that's pretty good. We get ripped of badly for phone bills. Everyone knows it. There's nothing we can do about it except move. Plus, I use skype for almost everything now, and with my iPhone jailbroken and set up to make VoiP calls over EDGE, I can wait till my contract runs out and basically just get a data plan from then on.
I was shocked when I saw $700 of calls, but I get 300 minutes to use on other people on 3. But no one uses 3, so I only use about 2 minutes a month. Though more people are getting 3 phones. Telstra's plans all suck, the only thing they have going for them is 3g nearly everywhere, whereas 3 only has it in the cities. And I think 3 has an unlimited text pack for $10-$15, so they seem like virtually the same plan.

When I'm in America I buy a new prepaid phone every time. 10 cents a minute, half a minute {5 cents} per text send/received, and I usually manage to get a phone that comes with a higher value of credit than the phone costs.
03:24 AM on 05/11/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
I can assure you that Australia certainly has it better with the iPhone than the US does. All big Australian mobile carriers provide the iPhone. You can only get it with 1 carrier in the US.

The all inclusive mobile caps available to Australian consumers shit all over the AT&T iPhone plans.
05:35 AM on 05/11/10
Rid Ickulous
User Info.
No Avatar Selected

I got the newest Macbook Pro for $1400 - same one is $3000 here in Europe. Your phone deal sounds good though, nothing crazy.
10:10 AM on 05/11/10
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Excellent roundup
12:36 PM on 05/11/10
troubledbyinsects
~
User Info.
I'm thinking about jailbreaking my iPod Touch, anybody that's used Spirit have thoughts on this? Pros/Cons?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos