AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Showbread - Age of Reptiles Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 6.25
Production 7.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 7
Final Verdict: 68%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.82
Lyrics 9.04
Production 8.96
Creativity 8.89
Lasting Value 8.68
Reviewer Tilt 9.11
Average: 89%
Inside AP.net

Showbread - Age of Reptiles

Reviewed by: newfoundmichael (09/06/06)
After gaining much praise and a small cult-like fanbase, with their coined phrase "Raw Rock Kills", and their first release on Tooth & Nail Records, No Sir, Nihilism Is Not Practical, one could say that expectations for Showbread's new album were set fairly high. So when the band released Age Of Reptiles on August 1st, many people were interested to see where the band would be going with all of the momentum built off the last record.

After giving this album one listen, anyone can notice the absence of vocalist Ivory Mobley's screechlike scream that kept the album jumpstarted and going on No Sir... Which seemed odd, because of the fanbase that they seemed to gain from what they had been doing. But if a band wants to go a different direction, who's to tell them that they need to keep doing what they are doing?

The album starts out with the song Naked Lunch with a beat almost reminding me of the intro to Mouth Like A Magazine, the first single off of the previous album. The song is strong, but is quite repetitive with questionable lyrics like "you make me, you make me ohh so sick, ohh so sick", but all in all is a decent opener to the album. The album's next few songs Pachycephalosaurus, Your Owls Are Hooting, and the albums first single Oh! Emetophobia! contain work from keytarist John Giddens who does a great job at keeping the songs fresh and sounding a little bit different than other bands in the genre.

Next on the album is Sing Me To Sleep, and is the bands attempt to slow the record down for a little bit, (if you didn't notice by the title). The song isn't terrible, but I don't really think it belonged on the album because it seemed quite out of place with the rest of the songs. Two songs later is Centipede Sisters, and is easily the best track and high point on the album. Everything seems to fall in place for Showbread in this song, the lyrics are still really repetitive, but the beat is amazing, and the chorus is one that will keep you singing it for the next week.

The next three songs that conclude the album are basically a whole lot more of the same thing, besides more good keytar work from Giddens in the song Dinosaur Bones. All in all, Age of Reptiles was inferior to the previous release. I'm all for a band going different directions with albums, but with these guys, their sound was already unique and different from everyone else...I don't know if this is Showbread's jump into more mainstream rock, but if so, lets hope they find a sound that will please that fanbase.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21.
11:57 AM on 09/07/06
lilRIPsta
User Info.
wow that was a little too harsh
12:27 PM on 09/07/06
Mase714
Just a dab'll do ya
User Info.
Showbread is horrible. The end.
01:37 PM on 09/07/06
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
I understand that you think non-staff members shouln't be allowed to post reviews on here, and I don't "take it as a hint" that a lot of people don't post on here...I enjoy posting reviews on here, and if one person reads it then my job is done. With that being said, if you see that it isn't written by one of the staff members, then don't read them...plain and simple. This site is for people to put what they think of albums on the internet for others to see. Thats the beauty of absolutepunk
07:59 PM on 09/07/06
You Got Owned
@andymania
User Info.
I understand that you don't think non-staff members shouln't be allowed to post reviews on here, and I don't "take it as a hint" that a lot of people don't post on here...I enjoy posting reviews on here, and if one person reads it then my job is done. With that being said, if you see that it isn't written by one of the staff members, then don't read them...plain and simple. This site is for people to put what they think of albums on the internet for others to see. Thats the beauty of absolutepunk

i don't listen to showbread, but i read it and enjoyed it.
thanks
10:42 PM on 09/07/06
WakingTheMisery
<3
User Info.
this album is not great at all.
08:50 AM on 09/08/06
inarmsofenemies
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
the first record is called No Sir, Nihilism is not practical. Just to let you know.
08:09 PM on 09/08/06
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
So just cause he isn't staff, his opinion is automatically null and void? What kind of ridiculus theory is that? Your words are drivel.

Sure, his views may be totally inaccurate when it comes to trying to claim that Showbread is unoriginal and that they needed 'freshness.' I'll grant you that. But, it was still a good read.
12:21 PM on 09/09/06
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
the first record is called No Sir, Nihilism is not practical. Just to let you know.

Oops my bad, I knew that but I wasn't thinking. And actually, No Sir... was the first album on Tooth and Nail, but wasn't their first album. They released Goodbye Is Forever in 1999, and Life, Kisses, and Other Wasted Efforts in 2003.
06:21 PM on 09/09/06
Buried A Lie
Turn It Up! (A Little Louder)
User Info.
i enjoyed this album, not as much as the previous work but its definatly worth a listen.
12:48 PM on 09/10/06
Daniel Schultz
the guilded cunt.
User Info.
No, it wasn't a theory, and his opinions aren't null and void. It's just that since 90% of the reviews on here are done by staff (who I feel do a much better job), and so the few on here done by members just seem to be not up to snuff. Again, I kinda wish there was a separate forum for those.

Too bad that's not the way the site is set up...
shucks.
12:31 PM on 09/11/06
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
Good review, I was disappointed you didn't mention the title track, though, easily one of the better songs in Showbread's repertoire.
06:55 PM on 09/13/06
xtianheadbanger
Jedi Knight
User Info.
boo this was better than nsninp
im so glad theyre taking this direction
01:40 PM on 09/14/06
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
boo this was better than nsninp
im so glad theyre taking this direction

Thats awesome man...I really mean that. I've met these guys a few times and they couldn't be more fan friendly. I really loved NSNINP, but for some reason I couldn't get into this one, but i'm stoaked that most of Showbread's hardcore fans really liked it. Keep bringin it Showbread.
12:12 PM on 09/18/06
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
it's not very good.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives