AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sing It Loud - Everything Collide Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 6.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 6.75
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.35
Musicianship 5.97
Lyrics 5.77
Production 6.52
Creativity 5.67
Lasting Value 5.72
Reviewer Tilt 6.65
Average: 61%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Sing It Loud - Everything Collide

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (05/14/10)
Sing It LoudEverything Collide
Release Date: May 11, 2010
Record Label: Epitaph

Once again a time ago, some jerk gave Sing It Loud’s debut album, Come Around, a less than stellar review. While he thought the band had a lot of potential, they just missed more than they hit on their first go-around. Flash forward two years (don’t pass out though), and the Minneapolis quintet has finally come around to their talent, substituting gloss for substance on their second effort, Everything Collide.

While not a drastic change from Come Around, Everything Collide features more refined pop-rock, thanks in large part to keyboardist Ben Peterson. The synth isn’t abused this time and has been replaced by more traditional-sounding keys, giving some of the tracks a Something Corporate vibe (the lively “Only One” comes to mind). It also gives the album more of a genuine feeling instead of coming across as Motion City Soundtrack Jr. However, when Peterson does break out the synth, it’s used to complement the music instead of overshadowing it, such as on the ultra-poppy first single, “Sugar Sweet.”

Also getting an upgrade is the guitar work, as Pat Brown and Kieren Smith invoke more crunch and twang. Songs like “Thunderstorms” and “Shadows” display a much bigger sound for the band, while “Letting Go” has Top-40 hit written all over it. The energetic “Only One” and vibrant “I Can’t” seem to be built specifically for the summer months, as they both feature strong hooks. “Wonder Why” closes Everything Collide wonderfully, as all the strong points of the album collide in just the right way (big vocals, big guitars, big melody).

Brown’s vocals are as strong as ever, especially on aforementioned tracks “Letting Go” and “Wonder Why.” Smith even offers lead vocals on "Shadows.” Everything Collide is far from perfect, as the lyrics and song structures are nothing new, and some tracks fall flat, such as the ballad, “Believe In Me.” But it’s hard to complain after hearing the improvement Sing It Loud has made from album one to album two. Brown and Smith provide a nice one-two punch with their vocals and guitar work, while the rhythm section of bassist Nate Flynn and drummer Christopher Lee, along with Peterson, provides the album's smooth groove.

So what if Sing It Loud doesn’t bring anything new to the table, Everything Collide contains everything you want in a summer album – upbeat melodies, driving guitars, and catchy hooks. Who would have figured that a bunch of guys from the frozen north would release the album that’ll set your summer ablaze.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Sugar Sweet
2. Thunderstorms
3. Here With You
4. Only One
5. Addicted To When You’re Gone
6. Shadows
7. Believe In Me
8. Light It Up
9. Letting Go
10. I Can’t
11. Wonder Why
Produced by: Jordan Schmidt

Sing It Loud is:
Pat Brown – vocals/guitar
Kieren Smith – guitar/vocals
Nate Flynn – bass
Ben Peterson – keys/synth
Christopher Lee – drums

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Page

RIYL: Yellowcard, All Time Low, Something Corporate

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 54
02:48 AM on 05/14/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Wasn't impressed with this the first couple spins, but I'm planning on giving it a few more listens before I write it off.
02:56 AM on 05/14/10
ilovesofie
was I good to you, wife of my youth
User Info.
Great review, but I don't think the ballad is that bad, I think it's really good.
03:04 AM on 05/14/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Nice review, man. This is good pop rock music.
03:26 AM on 05/14/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I enjoy this album but the last song irritates me
03:40 AM on 05/14/10
Christian Otte
Get money fuck bitches smoke trees
User Info.
Drew, could you please stop trying to fit in descriptions of every musician if it's not needed? If the drumwork isn't particularly interesting, no need to say that the drummer "provides the backbone" - of course he does, that's his job. Other than that, good review.
05:11 AM on 05/14/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Solid review, loving this album
05:37 AM on 05/14/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Never listened to these guys but the RIYL reads like my favorite bands of 2008. Maybe I'll check this out
07:28 AM on 05/14/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Hate when people rate albums poorly just because they dislike the band. Referring to the member rating of course.
07:57 AM on 05/14/10
chronomic
is dat ur pokemons?!?
User Info.
def like this more than come around.
08:09 AM on 05/14/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
Can't wait to get some money to pick this up, the songs they released before the album came out sounded solid
08:28 AM on 05/14/10
simplejack
Soundtrack of My Silence
User Info.
good singalong pop, I think that more temperature will increase, more I'll like it
09:04 AM on 05/14/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Solid pop album.
09:09 AM on 05/14/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Good review, jerk.
09:30 AM on 05/14/10
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Drew, could you please stop trying to fit in descriptions of every musician if it's not needed? If the drumwork isn't particularly interesting, no need to say that the drummer "provides the backbone" - of course he does, that's his job. Other than that, good review.
This.

Fixed.

Nice review, man. This is good music.
Fixed.

Great band and great album. I definitely like it more than Come Around.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums