Password

Album Review
Taproot - Plead the Fifth Album Cover

Taproot - Plead the Fifth

Reviewed by
Taproot - Plead the Fifth
Record Label: Victory Records
Release Date: May 11, 2010
After they were dropped by Atlantic, it seemed like the end for Michigan nu-metal band Taproot. They surprised though with their self-released Our Long Road Home that while not that spectacular overall, still showed that the band was ready for business. And they caught the eye of powerhouse record company Victory. Yeah, those guys. You know, the ones responsible for either your favorite or gag-inducing bands such as A Day to Remember and Aiden. Now, I knew beforehand that this would either be a step in the very right or very wrong direction. And hey, as it turns out it falls into the former category.

Still not even coming close to topping their Blue-Sky Research release, Taproot will at the very least, draw in new fans and maybe even some old ones with their return to a helluva lot heavier sound (finally a band that promises that and actually follows through, unlike the liars of Atreyu). So what that it's not as creative as the aforementioned album. It's still a very fun and very aggressive album that I enjoyed almost every minute of.

"Now Rise" and "Game Over" waste absolutely no time and no space. Their hard-hitting and baritone guitar work mixed with the spectacular off-beats and solid vocal work make for a strong start indeed. The breakdown of "Now Rise" will be a crowd favorite at concerts, with its moshy nature. With the return of heaviness, though, the band promised to keep their catchy melodies, and once again, the band keeps their promise. "Fractured (Everything I Said Was True)" is the prime example, and first single from the album. Its mix of nu-metal and alt. metal filled verses combine well with their alt. rock choruses. It's a highlight of the album, definitely. Lyrically, though, it's your typical run-of-the-mill break-up song.

"Stolage" and "911ost" are catchy attention-getters that will serve well as future singles, especially the latter one. In fact, most of the songs on the album follow either a heavy pattern or a catchy pattern, or a mix of the two, which makes it seem too redundant and the lasting value suffers from it, if only just a tad. "Stares" though is a fantastic closer song, expertly transitioning between melodies and massive vocal attacks. The other major highlight of the album, for sure.

Production is typical, albeit acceptable for the type of image the band wanted to convey. Musically, the band has lost none of their appeal. Mashing their earlier work and new sound together, they create a sound that will definitely work for them in the future. Stephen Richards returns to his nu-metal influenced screams but manages to keep the melodies and make them feel legitimate. Overall, I was impressed with the musical approach and the vocal approach the band took. The downfall (of us all?) though lies in its lack of creativity and typical lyrics. Even with all of its faults though, the band seems to be having more fun than ever, and it's easy to tell that after five studio releases, this band is finally going to go places.

Recommended If You Likeold Taproot, nu-metal, Victory bands

Taproot's Myspace
Buy It
This review is a user submitted review from Corey Hoffy. You can see all of Corey Hoffy's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
11:20 PM on 05/16/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Can't wait for the Hate Train to come in and start bitching about this. I agree it doesn't even come close to touching Blue Sky Research, but I think this is a pretty good album, definitely enjoyable.
03:13 PM on 05/20/10
AskAlex24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
nice
10:09 PM on 05/20/10
xxnotetoselfxx
User Info.
LOVE this CD
10:12 PM on 05/20/10
mulcahy67
User Info.
eh, i've honestly been a fan of this band for awhile, but this CD was completely underwhelming. every other song just sounded like generic filler.
10:41 PM on 05/20/10
starseed
pen?
User Info.
This album didn't gel with me at first, and then slowly it crept up on me. Now I love it. It's not as good as Blue Sky Research or even Our Long Road Home, but it gets the job done. I like "911ost" and "Stolage", and I also think "Trophy Wifi" and "Release Me" are stand outs. Personally, I think the latter should be the second single.
11:22 PM on 05/20/10
anthonydarko
Fight Milk
User Info.
Lolololol
11:40 PM on 05/20/10
Betrayal Five
Betrayal Five
User Info.
This album didn't gel with me at first, and then slowly it crept up on me. Now I love it. It's not as good as Blue Sky Research or even Our Long Road Home, but it gets the job done. I like "911ost" and "Stolage", and I also think "Trophy Wifi" and "Release Me" are stand outs. Personally, I think the latter should be the second single.

I don't think they will -ever- top Blue-Sky Research, such a great album and too bad it was not promoted...that album should have made them bigger, ya know ? Long Road Home was decent...pretty solid but not fully solid...probably liked about 6 tracks. But this album...I cannot get into it, at all...I think Blue-Sky Research will always be their best...unless they colaborate with the same producer again.
11:49 PM on 05/20/10
marsvoltamcr
Registered Member
User Info.
Huge nu metal fan. Will definitely check this album out.
09:05 AM on 05/21/10
faversham
Faversham
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
What about Welcome. I thought that album was better than Blue Sky Research by far. It was so much more diverse. Although I have to say the energy on Plea is more like what they had on Gift. The intensity seemed to lull after Welcome.
11:16 AM on 05/21/10
PMFtheman
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I really enjoy this album. I too, think that Blue Sky Research is their masterpiece, and I even like Our Long Road Home a tad better but this album definitely blows away their first two releases.

I would recommend an open minded listen to Taproot's newest CD's.
03:23 PM on 05/21/10
skrillzzz1109
User Info.
Good God that Fractured song is freakin horrible. Gift is their magnum opus IMO and still one of my fav albums ever. Welcome was pretty good. A little too over produced for me. Blue Sky Research was garbage except for Facepeeler and that's when I was officially done.

I can't believe this band is still putting out albums. Who the hell even goes out of their way to listen to them still?
04:21 PM on 06/15/10
manontheside
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I remember borrowing the Gift demo tape from a friend. Purchased the album and had it on repeat the whole summer. The band used to tour heavily with Papa Roach (whom I have seen several times) however never got the chance to ‘em live. Because Gift is such a nostalgic album for me, I always give the band the benefit of the doubt with each album release regardless of the public criticism. 10 years later with the release of Plead the Fifth, I look forward to hearing what the new album has to offer.
12:49 PM on 10/25/10
tinbaby79
musicluver
User Info.
LOVE this album!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT