AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

John Mayer - Continuum Album Cover

John Mayer - Continuum

Reviewed by
John Mayer has been at the forefront of “pop music” (I am sure many of you know better than to lump him into this category) since his second album, Room for squares was released. And after three years since the release of his sophomore album, Heavier things, he’s come back with his third studio release Continuum. Going into this album I wasn’t really sure how to take it on first listen. It seemed as though John Mayer had maybe lost his touch. However, I soon realized this was only the reaction I had received on first listen because of the fact it was new material and it was first listen. By my second time through the album I found that I was already starting to get hooked on it. Each song has its own uniqueness and its own sort of flavor adding to this dinner of an album and making it all the more satisfying.

Continuum is filled with 12 tracks that are all screaming “hit”. I seriously cannot think of another album released this year where literally every track has that hit potential. I expect nothing less of John Mayer though, as he has proved himself over the years as one of the best “pop music” song writers. Which, in the pop music scene it’s hard to find anyone anymore who writes their own music and lyrics. Thus, adding to, at least for me, his overall appeal.

The worst track on the whole album in my opinion is the single, “Waiting on the World to Change”. In any other review it may be safe to assume that this track is not worth a listen. In any other review you may be correct. However, this track is what I consider the lesser of the tracks on the album, still holds up and is nothing short of fantastic. It just doesn’t compare to the real gems of the album such as “Gravity”, “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room” and “I Don’t Trust Myself (With Loving You)” which I hold to be some of the albums best. Try as I may, I cannot for the life of me find a flaw with this album, though this is definetly a good thing.

To anyone who gives this album a chance, I can almost assure you will fall in love with it. Like with any album, don’t trust yourself on the first listen, give it a couple tries, and you will find that this is one of the best albums of the year hands down. In closing, I realize this review is short and simple, but it’s to the point, much like the album itself, which is pure gold and at least in my opinion – a must have.
This review is a user submitted review from Saves The Night. You can see all of Saves The Night's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
11:06 PM on 09/10/06
whatsername104
User Info.
i'm really looking forward to this.
11:06 PM on 09/10/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
more overrating on absolutepunk MAN WHAT A SHOCKER

in other news, big east football is fucking destroying everything and i love it
03:32 AM on 09/11/06
agent00013
The pain reminds us
User Info.
The album may be good, but 98% is a bit high. There's no way it's as faultless as you say. I don't think I'd give a rating that high to any album in my collection, and there's a lot I absolutely love.
05:44 AM on 09/11/06
WakingTheMisery
XCXMAS
User Info.
i enjoy hearing him at work, but not that much.
07:55 AM on 09/11/06
|ant|
User Info.
How people do not consider this man a stellar musician is beyond me. He may be one of the best musicians of our time, thats right, I said it! I havn't given this too much of a listen and I have had it for a couple of days, but from what I heard it does warrant a high (90's) rating.

Looks like some people are just trying to be an asshat in the member ratings for this album.
11:29 AM on 09/11/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
more overrating on absolutepunk MAN WHAT A SHOCKER

in other news, big east football is fucking destroying everything and i love it

A user wrote this - not a staff member. Do you just look for things to complain about?
02:51 PM on 09/11/06
jsim
User Info.
This reviewer is ridiculous. "Hit" potential usually "Hits" you right off the bat. The overuse of "pop music" and quotations is upsurd. You wont lose your "scene cred" if you think John Mayer is good, especially if you are claiming to be a "music critic." I happen to listen for songs, not the artist or the so called "scene".
03:09 PM on 09/11/06
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
hmmm, so it's that good?
06:01 PM on 09/11/06
Branevember31
Eric
User Info.
hmmm, so it's that good?

i havent stopped listening to it for 2 weeks...it grows on you every time...its soooo good. i agree with the review
06:02 PM on 09/11/06
notoaststereo
they knew exactly what happened.
User Info.
best live act i've seen all year. he closed with gravity. and played slowdancing... it was sooo good
08:14 PM on 09/11/06
HoldFastHope
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This reviewer is ridiculous. "Hit" potential usually "Hits" you right off the bat. The overuse of "pop music" and quotations is upsurd. You wont lose your "scene cred" if you think John Mayer is good, especially if you are claiming to be a "music critic." I happen to listen for songs, not the artist or the so called "scene".

Next time you try to be a pretentious prick you should probably spellcheck. It's not "upsurd" it's "absurd".
08:54 PM on 09/11/06
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
User Info.
Great album. He's probably my favorite artist. I'm sad I missed him in concert this year. :( Last year he was amazing though.
09:21 PM on 09/11/06
TheHeretic
User Info.
not a 98% but MOST certainly a 90/91...this man is a genius. He's easily one of the most talented musicians of recent times. He's got an amazing voice and plays some damn good guitar. This album proves his status further more.
11:12 PM on 09/11/06
perrone
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
A user wrote this - not a staff member. Do you just look for things to complain about?

i'm not complaining, just observing on how well it fits in

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version