AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Taken the Coast - Here's To You Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Taken the Coast - Here's To You

Reviewed by: luvsickcatalyst (05/16/10)
Taken The Coast – Here’s to You EP
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: June 20, 2009

Who?

From the depths of the Chicago suburbs come Taken The Coast, a five-piece pop-punk act who have set out to win the hearts of the Warped Tour crowd (well…the part of the crowd that isn’t watching Jeffree Star) before they’re even legal to drink.

How is it?

Here’s to You shows a band with serious promise, far beyond the talent level of most high school/college acts. The EP’s one major flaw, though, is the band could be very easy to write off as a young, lesser New Found Glory or Set Your Goals Jr. “Juan Bravo is My Best Friend”, the blistering opener and best track on the EP, challenges the critics, proclaiming “this sucker state can't take this / we'll rise up from the ashes and we know we'll make it / We'll be the last ones down”. From there though, the songs get a little monotonous and singer Chris Sorenson’s vocals can get a little too whiny. The title track is prime example, where it’s not necessarily a bad song, but little things like the cheesy chorus bring it down. For a first EP from a band who, at the time, hadn’t even graduated from high school, this is extremely well done and it wouldn’t be fair to pick them apart. But with this kind of potential, the band really needs to step it up on future releases, avoid the obvious gang vocals and breakdowns that draw comparison, and prove they’re completely worthy of being the next potential kings of Warped Tour.

Recommended If You LikeSet Your Goals - Mutiny; early Saves the Day; New Found Glory; a high school band that is better than your high school band ever was

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
11:21 AM on 05/23/10
Ciattk
User Info.
Thanks man!
When we recorded that we had a different singer, i took over lead singing with our last single. Also two of us are still in high school and we should have a new song up in the next few weeks.

Hopefully we hear what you think about that.

Thanks for the review man
07:13 PM on 05/26/10
luvsickcatalyst
wander eyes, ocean high.
User Info.
Thanks man!
When we recorded that we had a different singer, i took over lead singing with our last single. Also two of us are still in high school and we should have a new song up in the next few weeks.

Hopefully we hear what you think about that.

Thanks for the review man
No problem. The EP is very well done.

Sorry if I got a couple of the details wrong. Regardless, stoked to hear the new stuff. You guys definitely have a lot of promise, message me if you're in the MA area this summer and I'll make sure I'm there.
01:12 AM on 05/27/10
Ciattk
User Info.
Thanks so much! Yeah, our EP sucks compared to most of the stuff we write now, and we just sent our new single to the Free Music Friday thingy. Cool! :D
01:17 AM on 08/09/10
Amilleraz
The one and only
User Info.
Thanks so much! Yeah, our EP sucks compared to most of the stuff we write now, and we just sent our new single to the Free Music Friday thingy. Cool! :D
Currently listening to you on last.fm and am actually sad to hear the singer I am hearing is gone. Point me in the direction of your new stuff cuz I am really feelin' this
11:16 AM on 08/14/10
Ciattk
User Info.
Currently listening to you on last.fm and am actually sad to hear the singer I am hearing is gone. Point me in the direction of your new stuff cuz I am really feelin' this
Here, dude! http://www.myspace.com/takenthecoast
03:40 PM on 08/14/10
Amilleraz
The one and only
User Info.
sounds exactly the same as the Here's to You EP I have....am I missing something?
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests