AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Takota - The Ivory Tower Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.25
Production 9
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.88
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Takota - The Ivory Tower

Reviewed by: Russ Hockenbury (09/09/06)
Takota – The Ivory Tower
Release Date: May 16, 2006
Label: Ares Records

Having been a critic for a good number of years now, I would like to think that I am above falling head over heels for ear candy. That being said, I’m a sucker for grandiose rock albums. They’re like the Mike & Ike's of my musical world. As much as it pains me to admit it, I gave Nural’s Weight of the World a perfect score last year. Even going so far as to unleash this magazine ad worthy one-liner, “Buy this record because their next one will be platinum.” Punknews saw through it. Aversion saw through it. Countless others did as well. Not me. Listening now, I can’t explain how I ever fell for such cheesy mediocrity.

I may bite my lip and curse the sky for declaring this a year from now, but I love the debut release from ex-Spindle frontman Grant Arnow’s new project, Takota. The Ivory Tower smacks you in the face with it’s over-the-top rock & roll befitting the score to any of the Rocky movies. Further, I’m convinced that if they were ever to make a movie about Rocky’s illegitimate daughter (the result of an affair with Apollo Creed’s mildly attractive widow) fighting her way up from the streets of Philly, “Lioness” with its octave shattering hook would be the first single to emerge from that soundtrack.

The brilliance in The Ivory Tower is that the disc owes more to the “monster ballads” of the 80s than to today’s music. Nope, these tunes aren’t new-rock radio or emo-combover friendly, but that shouldn’t stop you from giving Takota a chance. The combination of a lush rhythm section, correct use of electronics, and Arnow’s Axl Rose-like swagger produce a feeling few other albums can in a scene that takes itself way too seriously. These songs, regardless of what the lyrics are saying, make you feel good. Empowered, even. And if loving this album is wrong, I don’t want to be right.

Tommy Gunn was an ungrateful bum who got what he deserved: “Lioness”, “The Ivory Tower”, “City Drugs”

Fetch me my bandana and hair spray, motherfucker: Queen, John Cafferty & The Beaver Brown Band, Circa Survive

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 31
04:31 PM on 09/09/06
lushintransit
Dragons!
User Info.
what the hell is reviewer's tilt? I still have not figured this out...
04:58 PM on 09/09/06
boldt_action
User Info.
yeah, i still don't know what reviewr's tilt means either...

if everything i do is wrongggg....then by God i do it righhht..
05:11 PM on 09/09/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
yeah, i still don't know what reviewr's tilt means either...

if everything i do is wrongggg....then by God i do it righhht..

It's basically how much we liked the album. It's the most subjective of all the ratings.
05:21 PM on 09/09/06
Ancora
User Info.
why would you review an album more than 5 months before it hits the general public? logically, giving a great review to a small band such as takota this early is doing them a disservice. all you are doing is provoking people to download their stuff online because of the hype you created for them without having an approachable market in place for the hype to consume....word
05:23 PM on 09/09/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
why would you review an album more than 5 months before it hits the general public? logically, giving a great review to a small band such as takota this early is doing them a disservice. all you are doing is provoking people to download their stuff online because of the hype you created for them without having an approachable market in place for the hype to consume....word

Ummm, the year is 2006. This album came out in May of this year.
05:27 PM on 09/09/06
Poultrylicious
haters are mean
User Info.
Ummm, the year is 2006. This album came out in May of this year.
i'd like my coffee with a side of pwn pie
05:37 PM on 09/09/06
Russ Hockenbury
with special guest
User Info.
Little known fact about me: I was an undefeated amateur boxer (1-0).
05:54 PM on 09/09/06
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
Is anyone friends with these guys on myspace? I love the titles of the bulletins that they always post...they keep you guessing. But anyway, this is a really good album. It was also produced by Brandon of Atreyu if you didn't know.
07:04 PM on 09/09/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
great review, i like what ive heard. I do hear the axl rose-esque vocals too, haha.
07:55 PM on 09/09/06
|ant|
User Info.

It really isn't that hard to figure out, good Lord.

Reviewer tilt (does just what it sounds like)- tilts the score up or down depending on if the reviewer loves/hates the album, because it makes the overall average higher or lower. Furthermore, if the reviewer tilt of lets say, this album, were 8 instead of 10, the overall average would be lowered to 87%.
If you can't get it now, walk off of a bridge.

Concerning the album: love the throwback vocals, it seems like I would love this for a short time and then would just become an empty vessel. I don't know, I need to give it more listens.
07:59 PM on 09/09/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
It really isn't that hard to figure out, good Lord.

Reviewer tilt (does just what it sounds like)- tilts the score up or down depending on if the reviewer loves/hates the album, because it makes the overall average higher or lower. Furthermore, if the reviewer tilt of lets say, this album, were 8 instead of 10, the overall average would be lowered to 87%.
If you can't get it now, walk off of a bridge.
Thank you...christ I had no idea it was that hard to get. Shit, the words alone should be self explanatory, let alone the fact that most videogame sites use a similar metric.
08:09 PM on 09/09/06
|ant|
User Info.
Thank you...christ I had no idea it was that hard to get. Shit, the words alone should be self explanatory, let alone the fact that most videogame sites use a similar metric.

I guess there are a lot of idiots in the world today. I am reminded of this everytime I drive on the Interstate, watch people trying to go through a revolving door, and when I read some of the comments on this site.
11:40 PM on 09/09/06
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
I guess there are a lot of idiots in the world today. I am reminded of this everytime I drive on the Interstate, watch people trying to go through a revolving door, and when I read some of the comments on this site.
Please step away from the keyboard.

Good review, Russ.
06:10 AM on 09/10/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Definitely gonna check this out now.

Good review, nice and short.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE