Username
Password

07:49 AM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
York, PA
Female - 30 Years Old
Empire State Pride Agenda called Obama the fuck out, priceless.
Link?
07:55 AM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
It wasn't an official announcement but:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi..._partners.html

Quote:
The executive director of the Empire State Pride Agenda, a large state-based gay rights group, Alan Van Capelle, greeted today's announcement sarcastically.

"Welcome to 1999," he told POLITICO. "How revolutionary of the White House to give benefits to same-sex couples, when two-thirds of conservative Wall Street are already doing it. What an achievement."

"It's just one of the things that should have been done in January," Van Capelle, who was among those taking his name off the Biden event, said, calling for a "comprehensive strategy." "If the President makes the announcement tomorrow, it will still fall short of what LGBT people are expecting from this administration."
And if you read the rest of the article, government employee partners will not be extended health and retirement benefits.
07:57 AM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
York, PA
Female - 30 Years Old
That DNC gay fundraiser is going to be a gigantic bust. Hopefully this tells the White House that the LGBT is done fucking around and is tired of being fucked over by democratic Presidents who promise them things, but never follow through.

And this gives me even more inspiration and motivation to attend the National Equality March in DC in October.
08:01 AM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...ion-assistance
Relocation assistance instead.

Seriously, can you just stop turning the knife you've inserted in the collective back of LGBT community?
08:02 AM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
WarpSpeedChewy
You know Elvis had a twin brother?
Metro-Atlanta, GA
Male - 26 Years Old
While I'm pretty upset with Obama's lack of action in regards to LGBT rights, I suppose it's somewhat understandable. I mean, I guess every group he made promises too would hope those changes would come on day one. The economy is in the shitter, North Korea is acting crazy and a lot of other issues are going on. I'm frustrated, to say the least, in regards to what has happened for LGBT rights thus far. I think most of my current frustration comes from the DoJ DOMA brief and Obama's lack of saying anything about it. I am trying to be patient, for the most part and am trying to realize that he hasn't been in office very long in the scheme of things.

Honestly, at this point I wish he would just go on record and make a statement about that DOMA brief. That's probably the worst thing that has happened so far. The language used in that brief is inexcusable, ESPECIALLY coming from the government and his administration. If he would come out and make a statement about that, then I think I could be patient for a while.
This is pretty much how I feel about it. I am greatly irritated by some of the ignorance the issue is being given and as a support I think it's a giant mistake in a lot of ways. I don't doubt that Obama is sincere about it, but his administration can't manage the issue for their convenience anymore. This issue is going to be coming to them. I want to withhold judgment on them until they are given or decide to deal with the issue fully.

That DNC gay fundraiser is going to be a gigantic bust. Hopefully this tells the White House that the LGBT is done fucking around and is tired of being fucked over by democratic Presidents who promise them things, but never follow through.
This. Fucking around like this is going to have major consequences.
01:01 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Praetor
as we melt, let's make no noise.
Male - 21 Years Old
While I'm pretty upset with Obama's lack of action in regards to LGBT rights, I suppose it's somewhat understandable. I mean, I guess every group he made promises too would hope those changes would come on day one. The economy is in the shitter, North Korea is acting crazy and a lot of other issues are going on. I'm frustrated, to say the least, in regards to what has happened for LGBT rights thus far. I think most of my current frustration comes from the DoJ DOMA brief and Obama's lack of saying anything about it. I am trying to be patient, for the most part and am trying to realize that he hasn't been in office very long in the scheme of things.
Understandable, sure. He's a politician. Disappointing? You bet.

And like you said, it's not like he's just not acting on behalf of the LGBT community. That brief coming from his administration didn't just a decision on the backburner...it supported DOMA and condemned not only gay marriage, but homosexuality in general. I mean...what is this, 2006? I thought that we had a relatively progressive liberal in office?
Quote:
Honestly, at this point I wish he would just go on record and make a statement about that DOMA brief. That's probably the worst thing that has happened so far. The language used in that brief is inexcusable, ESPECIALLY coming from the government and his administration. If he would come out and make a statement about that, then I think I could be patient for a while.
A statement will not do shit for me, I'm tired of this bullshit. That's all we've ever gotten out of this president on LGBT issues; words. Yes yes, I know, it wasn't Obama himself, it was the Department of Justice...whatever. If you're not involved in the government and you're gay...sucks for you, I guess.
Empire State Pride Agenda called Obama the fuck out, priceless.
I am really very happy with their work on getting the word around. I've seen a surprising numbers of commercials lately pushing the NYS gay marriage bill. Now that summer's here I have been thinking about volunteering but I dunno if it will work out.
01:28 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Mercy Medical
Semi-retired
York, PA
Female - 30 Years Old
A statement will not do shit for me, I'm tired of this bullshit. That's all we've ever gotten out of this president on LGBT issues; words. Yes yes, I know, it wasn't Obama himself, it was the Department of Justice...whatever. If you're not involved in the government and you're gay...sucks for you, I guess.
at this point, it would do something. Like I said previously, dude has A LOT on his plate and a lot of issues that I see more important then LGBT issues like the economy and health insurance, mainly because those things effect all of us while LGBT issues only effect a minority of people (that's not to say they aren't important to me because they obviously are, but I see other issues as a higher priority).

I would love quick action in regards to LGBT issues, but I can be patient. I'm not expecting him to get rid of DADT or DOMA tomorrow. With that in mind, that is why a statement would appease me at this moment in time. I've read other website proclaiming that people shouldn't be so up in arms about the brief as they are and I understand, but some of that language...whether it was meant to be hurtful or not...was completely unnecessary. Incest and pederasty? REALLY? It's saving the government money. HONESTLY? That was some of the most fucked up an ignorant bullshit I have ever heard come from a President's administration in regards to LGBT issues. Now, granted, I was told that the individual who wrote the brief was actually someone from Bush's administration, but still...what the fuck?
01:38 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
i like the fact that these benefits really aren't anything at all. yeah, no health care, no retirement benefits, just some minor things. yet another thing democrats can say they did for the gay community without doing something for the gay community. it's really making me sick.
03:30 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
i like the fact that these benefits really aren't anything at all. yeah, no health care, no retirement benefits, just some minor things. yet another thing democrats can say they did for the gay community without doing something for the gay community. it's really making me sick.
Relocation assistance dude!!

I guess this will probably incense you more:

http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/g...ds-behind.html
03:31 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
Albany NY
Male - 24 Years Old
http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/i...ies-right.html
Good to know that the executive order was simply symbolic and didn't change anything.
03:33 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
Relocation assistance dude!!

I guess this will probably incense you more:

http://www.americablog.com/2009/06/g...ds-behind.html

i can't be more mad than i was when i found out obama used to support "gay marriage" when he started politics but now kind of but not really supports "civil unions".
03:44 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
at this point, it would do something. Like I said previously, dude has A LOT on his plate and a lot of issues that I see more important then LGBT issues like the economy and health insurance, mainly because those things effect all of us while LGBT issues only effect a minority of people (that's not to say they aren't important to me because they obviously are, but I see other issues as a higher priority).
Yeah, but still, it's not like his administration is neglecting the gay rights issue...they're actually speaking out against it/taking (non-)action on it (see: DOMA brief, the administration's active refusal to interfere in DADT firings, the President's apparent support and promised defense of DOMA, etc.) and that's why I don't think that the "he's busy" argument works. And, like already pointed out, this whole executive order business is completely symbolic and is constructed primarily to dangle a carrot in front of the gay community so they don't turn their back on Obama. I dunno, I just feel it's reprehensible for him to be playing politics when he got elected on the premise of "fixing Washington". He's essentially bought into the game that he said he would stay above.

Quote:
I would love quick action in regards to LGBT issues, but I can be patient. I'm not expecting him to get rid of DADT or DOMA tomorrow.
Do you really think that he has plans to? I mean, he's already said that he won't interfere in DADT firings and there's this from the AMERICAblog article (not exactly unbiased, and hasn't been confirmed yet, so take it for what it is):

Quote:
One more thing. The President will reportedly say tonight that he opposes DOMA. He's not going to oppose the law however, he's going to keep defending it in court. But in his heart he opposes it. Aw thanks.

Quote:
With that in mind, that is why a statement would appease me at this moment in time. I've read other website proclaiming that people shouldn't be so up in arms about the brief as they are and I understand, but some of that language...whether it was meant to be hurtful or not...was completely unnecessary. Incest and pederasty? REALLY? It's saving the government money. HONESTLY? That was some of the most fucked up an ignorant bullshit I have ever heard come from a President's administration in regards to LGBT issues. Now, granted, I was told that the individual who wrote the brief was actually someone from Bush's administration, but still...what the fuck?
Doesn't surprise me that he was a holdover from the Bush admin. Still, even if the admin thought that way...why would you say it? The ignorance and inanity of the statement aside...it's not politically smart. Plain and simple.

It blows my mind that people like the daughter of John fucking McCain are out-liberal-ing the President on this one.
03:47 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Machu505
yep
New Haven CT
Male - 19 Years Old
I love how the only person in here defending Obama is gay haha.
04:06 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
Praetor
Male - 21 Years Old
I love how the only person in here defending Obama is gay haha.
haha yeah, kind of ironic how the only one of us with any real stake in this is defending him.
04:28 PM on 06/17/09 
User Info.
x togepi x
Fake Punk Fan
Male - 28 Years Old
except, you know, for me.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles