Username
Password
All Posts by User
Displaying user's 13 posts.
07:41 AM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Counting Crows. Great summer track/album.
07:53 AM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Mad props. And yes it is. Thanks for noticing.
Haha, no problem. There was one summer where that album was in practically constant rotation for me.
12:18 PM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Me three. Isn't it great how the crows music matches the seasons? August and everything after is a great fall record, Recovering The Satelites is perfect for winter. This Desert Life is great for spring, and Hard Candy is the summer record. Not quite sure where that leaves the new one, but it's still a great record anyway.
Hahaha, I've thought that before. Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings never fit that very well though, which might be part of why it's far and away my least favorite record of theirs.
12:28 PM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I would agree with that assessment too. While there are some great songs on it, it does not hold up to their earlier releases. They need a comeback album badly.

I always felt like they were trying too hard with the concept of the record and sort of blanked on individual songs. A few great songs from each half (Cowboys, Come Around), but there was a ton of filler, especially on the Sunday Mornings part.

August>Hard Candy>Recovering the Satellites=This Desert Life>>>Saturday Nights/Sunday Mornings
12:36 PM on 05/18/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Yep, Sunday Mornings was chocked with filler. I think I see the albums the same way you do. In that exact order. Even though it's not nearly that strong, This Desert Life has a special place in my heart cause it got me through a really difficult year in college. But I digress.

I think off Sunday Mornings I only liked Washington Square, Any Sunday Morning, Michelangelo and Come Around, plus maybe the single. Tuesday in Amsterdam borders on painful. Most of the Saturday Nights songs are decent though.
I didn't like This Desert Life as much when I first heard it, but I think it's more consistent than Satellites and has some of their absolute best songs on it. Whenever Mrs Potter comes on, I still have to just sit back and marvel at the lyrics. I just love the mood/feel of that album.
07:45 AM on 05/19/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
eh, give it a shot. It's got some serious rockers on it. The slow songs could have more debth, but its got some of my personal favorites on there. I can't ever hate anything Adam Duritzz does cuz I know its coming from a good place, ya know? He may not be too prolific but he's still absolutely one of the most overlooked consistant songwriters of the past 20 years.

Oh, I definitely gave it more than a fair shot when it came out. I played little else for weeks, and just gradually began skipping more songs. The rockers are decent to great, and a few of the slow songs are good, but stuff like Anyone But You, Le Ballet D'or and ESPECIALLY Tuesday in Amsterdam just drag needlessly and aren't really memorable in any way. It's not a bad album, but it's unquestionably their worst.
08:39 AM on 05/19/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I completely agree with everything you just said. Tuesday in Amsterdam and Ballet d'Or have to be Durtiz's worst to date. I mean I'll take Miller's Angels over that thing any day.
Tuesday in Amsterdam is like Duritz trying to rewrite Miller's Angels (which was him trying to rewrite Raining in Baltimore) and just creating something that's almost unlistenable.
09:19 AM on 05/19/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Unlistenable says it best. So glad to know you are such a fan. I feel quite alone on AP for proclaiming them as my favorite band.
They were one of the bands that really got me into music, so I'll always be a huge fan.
04:05 PM on 05/19/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Unlistenable says it best. So glad to know you are such a fan. I feel quite alone on AP for proclaiming them as my favorite band.
Here's a question: favorite Crows tracks from each album?
07:46 PM on 05/19/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
august and everything after- round here, omaha, anna begins, rain king

recovering the satelites- angels of the silences, have you see me lately, recovering the satelites, long december

this desert life- hanginaround, mrs. potters lullaby, all my friends, colorblind, st. robinsons in his cadillac dream

hard candy- If I could give all my love, goodnight la, butterfly in reverse, why should you come when i call, holiday in spain

saturday nights and sunday mornings- hanging tree, los angeles, sundays, cowboys, when i dream of michelangelo, you cant count on me, come around

Nice

August: Round Here, Anna Begins, Time & Time Again, Sullivan Street, A Murder of One

Time & Time Again is one of my favorites of there's, lyrically. Seriously though, you can't go wrong with anything on that record.

Recovering: Angels of the Silences, Recovering the Satellites, A Long December, Walkaways

The title track is one of their most underrated songs, and A Long December might be their best single to date. I prefer Angels as an opener (as it was on Films About Ghosts), and Walkways is absolutely flawless. That song just moves me every single time.

This Desert Life: Mrs Potter's Lullaby, High Life, Speedway, St. Robinson

Mrs Potter might just me my favorite Crows song. Every single line of that song is unforgettable.

Hard Candy: Hard Candy, Miami, Black & Blue, Up All Night, Holiday in Spain

There are probably few songs I've listened to as many times as Miami. Pretty much everything on this album meant a lot to me at one point in my life though.

Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings: Cowboys, Come Around

Could pretty much live without everything else on that record, but I fucking love those two songs. I like a few of the other songs (the ending of Sundays is great), but those are unquestionably the best songs from the album.
08:13 AM on 05/20/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I can't disagree with a single one of the songs you selected. I think I pretty much would pick them as my favorites, as well. Only thing I would change is adding Catapult to RTS. But other than that, stop stealing my brain!
Hahaha, nice!
08:34 AM on 05/20/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
I would also add I Wish I Was a Girl to the picks on This Desert Life and Children in Bloom for RTS. By the way, what are your thoughts on Butterfly in Reverse? I freaking love that song. That being said, both that song and "New Frontier," are two of the strangest songs Duritz has ever written. For me personally though, I kinda was hoping he'd chase down the vaudevillian complex of "Butterfly in Reverse." It worked really freaking well.
I Wish I Was a Girl is awesome too, but my next choice off Desert Life would have probably been Amy Hit the Atmosphere. Children in Bloom isn't a favorite of mine, but the beginning of Recovering is incredibly solid, even if most of my favorite songs are towards the end.
I really enjoy everything off Hard Candy, and I never understood why that album wasn't as well received. Butterfly in Reverse is gorgeous though, and I love the Ryan Adams background vocals. I would have taken an album closer to that style of old fashioned pop music vs. what we got with SN&SM. I enjoy New Frontier quite a bit too.
08:37 AM on 05/20/10
Craig Manning
Down in Jungleland
User Info.
Alright, good. We can confidently close this CC discussion. Future correspondence will take place via PM. Thanks for talking Crows with me. This made my week.
Hahaha, no problem, I definitely enjoyed it as well. Been playing them all week.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS