Password

Album Review

Delorean - Subiza Album Cover

Delorean - Subiza

Reviewed by
Delorean - Subiza
Record Label: True Panther Sounds
Release Date: June 8, 2010

This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Beach resorts aren't my thing. If I'm going on summer vacation, cruises and water fronts take a back seat to visits to friends in different towns. I guess that makes me a hipster douche. I guess I'm not that guy who falls in love with the commercials of American mediocrity and "family packages." So why is it that Delorean's new album reminds me of those commercials? More importantly, why does it entice me to take that Carnival cruise I've always been slightly curious about?

Wedged somewhere between "pure moods" and a spa visit on heavy doses of muscle relaxer lies the summer vacation of Subiza. It's an album that screams beach waves, '80s summer comedies about dead bosses and very fun music to throw on at your next barbecue.

With the band's Spanish background, there's plenty of salsa and spice to be had with the opening beats and smooth rhythm of "Stay Close" that only picks up speed with the following "Real Love," but it is "Simple Graces" that is soulful and subtly funky to the core. If some of that electro-pop ever felt rigid and cold, Subiza proves bands can have an electronic mix that not only moves the feet, but feels warm and natural from the same inanimate machine. The party really kicks in with "Warmer Places," as the artificial lights turn down and the tide is low enough to extend the area of beach dancing with as many people as you can cram into the moonlight and stars.

Subiza is simply fun. This isn't about complex beats, more complex harmonies and weird noises just to be weird. Delorean has created an album for the summer, to move feet and enjoy what little break we have in the short months. Do repeat listens garner a sense of repetitiveness and skips to favorite tracks? Yes, but if you're looking for an album where you can shut off the brain and just enjoy the music without it feeling cliche or cheap and enjoy a drink and good time, then this is the album for those nights. Sometimes we need to stop being so pompous and just get our groove back. Stella would be proud of Delorean for giving us that chance.

Track Listing1. Stay Close
2. Real Love
3. Endless Summer*
4. Grow
5. Simple Graces*
6. Infinite Desert
7. Come Wander
8. Warmer Places*
9. It's All Ours

*key tracks

Recommended If You LikeJackson 5's ABC; Animal Collective's People EP; The Police's Reggatta de Blanc

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
07:48 AM on 05/19/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Beach resorts are my thing. Album is still really good.
08:18 AM on 05/19/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
What a hipster haha! I love beach resorts, so I'm uncool. Haven't listened, but I will soon.
09:00 AM on 05/20/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
funny, i was listening to delorean when i saw you'd reviewed this haha
good review, only thing i'd say is listen to Infinite Desert more, cause that song is definitely one of the best ones on this record.
and listen to more music, the RIYL is.... off.
09:36 AM on 05/20/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
funny, i was listening to delorean when i saw you'd reviewed this haha
good review, only thing i'd say is listen to Infinite Desert more, cause that song is definitely one of the best ones on this record.
and listen to more music, the RIYL is.... off.

nah...I stick by it...
10:09 AM on 05/20/10
raychull
User Info.
i disagree with your pov, but still a good review. f man. i love Real Love.
12:15 PM on 05/20/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
this is a great album.
03:00 PM on 05/20/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
have you never heard el guincho? panda bear? i can think of many other artists that sound like delorean as opposed to....the police.. and jackson 5..? really?
03:12 PM on 05/20/10
jbaseball44
change your hair, change your life
User Info.
Solid album
03:14 PM on 05/20/10
AskAlex24
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
asking alexandria rules this doesnt
05:00 PM on 05/20/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
have you never heard el guincho? panda bear? i can think of many other artists that sound like delorean as opposed to....the police.. and jackson 5..? really?

Yeah. I have. But my riyl reminded me of the essence, maybe not necessarily the exact sound
05:57 PM on 05/20/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
Yeah. I have. But my riyl reminded me of the essence, maybe not necessarily the exact sound
understandable.
05:57 PM on 05/20/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
asking alexandria rules this doesnt
i loled
09:13 PM on 05/20/10
The Raine
on this sinking night
User Info.
Kinda reminds me of Memory Tapes. Great album.
11:13 AM on 05/25/10
ElCheGuevara
King in the Castle
User Info.
the album is better than the review. and come on now, who doesn't like the beach, or all inclusive beach resorts that give you little umbrellas in your pina colada?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos