AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Camera Can't Lie - Not Everyone Leaves EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.63
Lyrics 5.5
Production 8.75
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Average: 73%

Camera Can't Lie - Not Everyone Leaves EP

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (05/19/10)
Camera Can't Lie - Not Everyone Leaves EP
Record Label: Atlantic Records
Release Date: May 4, 2010

Who?
Camera Can't Lie is a Minnesota quartet that formed in 2006. This is the successor to their autumn 2009 Days and Days EP. They were discovered and are currently managed by Grammy Award-winning record producer, Stephen Short (Augustana, This World Fair). The band is consistently on tour and have so far released a debut full-length album, Love the Noise.

How is it?
Pretty damn good. There's one irrefutable fact in listening to this four song EP: This band could write hit songs in their sleep. The huge, bursting chorus of "Losing You," marries powerhouse vocals with a stadium-ready sound. The air-tight production of "Call Me Crazy" and the cascading heights of title-track and third song "Not Everyone Leaves," do little to dispel this fact that this band is certainly on the precipice of something big. Sure it might be a bit cookie-cutter, it might be a bit too Top 40, but rousing rock anthems a la Daughty and Lifehouse still sell. And quite well, too. Camera Can't Lie seems to understand exactly that and has crafted a pristine and polished EP.

Used more as a teaser for the band's upcoming album due out on Atlantic this fall, Not Everyone Leaves EP is indeed the sound of a band coming into their own. Vocalist/guitarist Eric Arjes and the rhythm section of Josh Bendell and Kyle Lindsay are certainly skilled at what they do and as derivative as it may sound in places, it's hard to dispute the hooks or melodies. Word around Camera Can't Lie HQ mentions that "Losing You," will be featured in the 2009 indepedent film "The Other Side of the Tracks," but one can imagine this is just the first of many soundtracks the band will be featured on in the months to come. This four song EP is exactly the kind of fare that packs soundtracks on a monthly basis. Though stranger things have happened, it'd be shocking if this band wasn't on Vh1 before mid-year 2011.

Recommended If You Like needtobreathe, Green River Ordinance, Black Lab, Tonic, Dishwalla

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4
10:15 PM on 05/19/10
SmeezyBeezy
DahBuhDeezy
User Info.
Yesssss, Camera Can't Lie is fucking awesome, I still have all their old shit and pop it in occasionally. Really proud and happy for them that it's going well and I hope they blow up real quick.
01:50 PM on 05/20/10
tomakebelieve
honesty waits here forever.
User Info.
I can't believe they haven't released a full length on Atlantic yet. I remember when they signed to Atlantic (don't get me wrong-- I love love love Camera Can't Lie but I remember hearing several different times that they would release a full length by Spring of last year... that's a long time away.)

I still listen to their old stuff very often. I should give this a spin or two.
10:30 AM on 06/09/10
SingMeInsomnia
Because I can.
User Info.
Dakota was always my favorite song by them.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests