Username
Password
Dillinger Escape Plan News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Dillinger Escape Plan
Inside AP.net

The Dillinger Escape Plan PSA & Contest

Posted by: Julia Conny (05/21/10)
Peta2 and The Dillinger Escape Plan have teamed up to speak out against Canadian seal slaughter. Besides their PSA, they also have a contest running. Enter and, you know, win stuff.

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
12:45 PM on 05/21/10
Yellowcard2006
I'll buy you a raincoat
User Info.
Who is killing seals! Someone needs to stop those bastards.
12:46 PM on 05/21/10
nineinchsin
Don't take it seriously
User Info.
What's Peta2?
12:47 PM on 05/21/10
DeathOrGlory
I'm not fucked, not quite
User Info.
lol they honestly have no clue about the hunting of seals. the arctic version of rats basically or like kangaroos in australia. there's so many and the inuit people rely on seal for food and money.
01:50 PM on 05/21/10
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
lol they honestly have no clue about the hunting of seals. the arctic version of rats basically or like kangaroos in australia. there's so many and the inuit people rely on seal for food and money.

Phail
02:01 PM on 05/21/10
splitsecond
Augustine / Evan
User Info.
02:18 PM on 05/21/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
This.

"Location: UK"
No surprises there.
02:21 PM on 05/21/10
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.
"Location: UK"
No surprises there.

It isn't surprising at all considering that's where I live.
02:44 PM on 05/21/10
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
Wow. Apparently you have no clue either.

"Sealers managed to land over 500,000 pelts in 11 of the 35 years from 1825-1860. Sealers off Newfoundland landed, on average, 470,000 seal pelts per year from 1831 to 1840 and 440,000 pelts from 1841 to 1850. The all time high was in 1832, where sealers took over 740,000 seals during good weather conditions." That almost lead to them being endangered. So what we are supposed to kill an animal until they run out? Also it began to rise again "2002 - 312,367 - broke the record 300,00 mark for the first time since the 1960s"
-From The shadows of consumption
As you can see they are against the over-consumption of the Newfoundland people killing baby seals to sell their pelts for profit. They have ignored the limit cap and proceed to kill more baby "whitecoat" seals. Not to mention their have been several reports on the baby seals being skinned alive. This is not about the inuit people, its about the over-consumption of killing baby seals. They are trying to protect them from almost being endangered again because more and more are being killed again.
03:02 PM on 05/21/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
It isn't surprising at all considering that's where I live.
I mean that in the sense that pretty much all countries that are part of the EU just mindlessly bash the seal hunt without knowing the harm that getting rid of it would bring to our country. But hey, no surprises there since the new mentality around the world seems to be to save the lives of wild animals at the cost of the financial ruin and deaths of humans, which I don't agree with at all.
Wow. Apparently you have no clue either.

"Sealers managed to land over 500,000 pelts in 11 of the 35 years from 1825-1860. Sealers off Newfoundland landed, on average, 470,000 seal pelts per year from 1831 to 1840 and 440,000 pelts from 1841 to 1850. The all time high was in 1832, where sealers took over 740,000 seals during good weather conditions." That almost lead to them being endangered. So what we are supposed to kill an animal until they run out? Also it began to rise again "2002 - 312,367 - broke the record 300,00 mark for the first time since the 1960s"
-From The shadows of consumption
As you can see they are against the over-consumption of the Newfoundland people killing baby seals to sell their pelts for profit. They have ignored the limit cap and proceed to kill more baby "whitecoat" seals. Not to mention their have been several reports on the baby seals being skinned alive. This is not about the inuit people, its about the over-consumption of killing baby seals. They are trying to protect them from almost being endangered again because more and more are being killed again.
Inserting some comments from anti-seal hunt reading materials doesn't give you any idea about it. It's all just, "You're killing a bunch of baby seals, so stop!" without any regard for anything else.

The fact is that the inuit people rely on the seal hunt for food, above all, and money. The killing of seals to sell their pelts and meat has been reduced drastically since the EU ban on seal products. It is primarily done by the Inuit people for food, like mentioned. Most sources say they are not endangered anymore. What I find hypocritical is that people bash on the seal hunt, oftentimes because of how cute they are, while not giving a shit about the killing of other animals for food and sale. I personally am against the inhumane killing of the seals, but not against the hunt itself. To be against the hunt would mean to neglect the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in Canada, which I think would be irresponsible.
03:20 PM on 05/21/10
TwelveTribes230
<>
User Info.
I mean that in the sense that pretty much all countries that are part of the EU just mindlessly bash the seal hunt without knowing the harm that getting rid of it would bring to our country. But hey, no surprises there since the new mentality around the world seems to be to save the lives of wild animals at the cost of the financial ruin and deaths of humans, which I don't agree with at all.

Inserting some comments from anti-seal hunt reading materials doesn't give you any idea about it. It's all just, "You're killing a bunch of baby seals, so stop!" without any regard for anything else.

The fact is that the inuit people rely on the seal hunt for food, above all, and money. The killing of seals to sell their pelts and meat has been reduced drastically since the EU ban on seal products. It is primarily done by the Inuit people for food, like mentioned. Most sources say they are not endangered anymore. What I find hypocritical is that people bash on the seal hunt, oftentimes because of how cute they are, while not giving a shit about the killing of other animals for food and sale. I personally am against the inhumane killing of the seals, but not against the hunt itself. To be against the hunt would mean to neglect the lives of hundreds of thousands of people in Canada, which I think would be irresponsible.

There has to be some limit of the killing. I understand that some people rely on it, but the fact is, that the killing is increasing more every year now. There has to be some recognition that these number are increasing and sealers are abandoning the set caps for how many should be killed each year.In 2007 the allowable catch was around 270,000 or so and many sealers are killing more than that each year. There has to be kind of protest again before it gets out of control again and we end up doing major damage. I understand it seems hypocritical about killing other animals...but other animals were not once faced with being endangered. The only thing I am trying to say is that sealers are ignoring the cap and over-killing once more. When does it end? When they are being endangered again? I mean come on...there has to be a cap and that has to be followed or else they are going to make them endangered again. The only way that will happen is if there is some kind of protest. These sailors don't care about the balance or sustainability of the seal herds...only about revenue. They could easily make enough money off the limit, but proceed to kill over the limit only for more profit.
05:42 PM on 05/21/10
karadoll
Open up a little happiness today.
User Info.
Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll answer anyway.

It's basically the youth version of PETA.
01:07 AM on 05/22/10
cuzimlefthanded
Registered Member
User Info.
Haha the latter half of this news post kind of undermines the first part about the seal killings.....just kind of.
03:45 AM on 05/22/10
lew_1987
The desperation's gone.
User Info.

'New' mentality? I don't know what you're talking about. The mentality humans have is exactly the opposite for the most part, and will be for some time. I think that some people are finally waking up to the fact that killing animals for 'sport' is fucking stupid. And also that there are more humane ways of doing something than bashing an animal's head in with a club.

And I know you'll try to rebunk my 'sport' argument by using the 'vermin' argument but my point still stands.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests