AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Decay, The - This Month's Rent Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Decay, The - This Month's Rent

Reviewed by: ship of beers (05/23/10)
The Decay - This Month's Rent
Record Label: Everlong Records
Release Date: January 15, 2010

The Decay are a melodic street punk band from Ontario, Canada. Their debut album ‘This Month’s Rent’ features gritty vocals, socially aware lyrics and catchy sing a long group vocals, delivered with just the right amount of melody.

The 30 second intro musical track ‘Humble Beginnings’ leads into the excellent “These Days”. Tyler Savage sings “These days its hard to get up, find the change for the bus, put my best face forward, and I find my favourite place at work in my head, in my head” in his gritty voice that sets the tone for the rest of the album. This Month’s Rent is the perfect name for this album. With lyrics about slaving away for the minimum wage, every day hardship, child abuse/neglect and heartbreak. The gritty vocals are delivered with the right amount of melody that will have you singing along in no time at all.

‘Cigarette Burns’ is a song about child abuse/neglect in which Savage sings, “Pick it up angel and don’t let them know, don’t let them see you suffer, you can be hidden just put up a wall, you can be hidden just put up with hell”. The gritty vocals in which Tyler delivers fit this song perfectly. This is street punk at its finest. The Decay aren't reinventing the wheel here, but they certainly take you for an excellent ride. 'Before and After' and 'Winterlude' take a break from the street punk beats and provide thoughtful and reflective instrumental moments that fit in so well with the rest of the album. It feels like a natural balance.

The production of this album is pretty good. The Decay occasionally make use of very non punk instruments such as the harmonica and even the piano (In the excellent closer “Empty Frames”). The instruments come out sounding just right so as not to take away from the focus of the rest of the music. Every single instrument holds its own and blends perfectly with the rest.

‘Empty Frames’ is the brilliant closer to the album. It starts with a piano intro that creates a wonderful tone to the song. Guitars them come in over the top perfectly to continue the intro. Great guitar riffs feature throughout the song which is about feeling lost, stuck and controlled in society. Savage sings, “Making sure you feel hopeless, making sure you feel broken, making sure you’re no trouble, making sure you don’t speak out, on the inside no-one can paint us beige”.

The Decay have created a very impressive debut album. The gritty and melodic delivery blend perfectly with the lyrical content to create a highly enjoyable listening experience. I highly recommend that everyone reading this should go and check this album out.

Recommended If You LikeBouncing Souls, Swingin' Utters, Rancid, The Flatliners

Online vitals www.myspace.com/thedecay

www.myspace.com/everlongrecords

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.
Options

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests