Username
Password

07:57 AM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
MYOB or BYO stretcher
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Yeah, that is exactly it. You'll get to a point in the routine where you probably wont feel much at all the next day. If it really that sore, just push the workout back a day, it is still going to get done but you need recovery time. But if you're just starting it is very normal and it wont hurt you to push through it especially with p90x. If you were doing some really heavy lifts it could be dangerous but not with that.
Yeah, I did the Chest & Back which is alot of pull ups/push ups and I pushed it pretty hard. The next day my triceps were absolutely crushed to the point where I couldn't bend my arms and the routine for that day was Arms. I couldn't even think about doing it. I substituted the yoga in instead. They are still tight but I'm pretty sure they'll be fine to do Arms today.
12:37 PM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
lbopm
catch phrase
Yeah, I did the Chest & Back which is alot of pull ups/push ups and I pushed it pretty hard. The next day my triceps were absolutely crushed to the point where I couldn't bend my arms and the routine for that day was Arms. I couldn't even think about doing it. I substituted the yoga in instead. They are still tight but I'm pretty sure they'll be fine to do Arms today.

Yeah it'll get better and as long as you're not doing alot of free weights it's very very unlikely those weakers days can ever hurt you. So enjoy! I have to say though, eventually you should pick up lifting rather than p90x.
p90x is good for conditioning and all that but it is really not a good strength routine.
12:57 PM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
IAmNietzche
MYOB or BYO stretcher
Philadelphia, PA
Male - 28 Years Old
Yeah it'll get better and as long as you're not doing alot of free weights it's very very unlikely those weakers days can ever hurt you. So enjoy! I have to say though, eventually you should pick up lifting rather than p90x.
p90x is good for conditioning and all that but it is really not a good strength routine.
Yeah, I'm just working on getting back in shape now. Played sports throughout High School and College, but haven't done much in the past two years. Wanted to get my conditioning back and shed some fat before I got into anything too serious.
06:51 PM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
garggggh
Running marathons
Washington, DC
Female
Definitely biggest thing for me. I've only been losing roughly a lb or two a week so it's almost discouraging but you can see the results big time which is obviously more important.

A pound or two a week is GREAT. You want consistent results. Make sure you're drinking a decent amount of water too.

Diet is super important but depends on what you're going for. Your diet's important in the sense that it should fuel your fitness and shouldn't be restrictive to the point where you crave and binge. Keep with it and it'll pay off :)

Check out http://stronglifts.com/ and the CrossFit WOD. I'm trying to do 150 wall balls for time and good fucking Christ. Hard.

Yeah, I'm just working on getting back in shape now. Played sports throughout High School and College, but haven't done much in the past two years. Wanted to get my conditioning back and shed some fat before I got into anything too serious.

Eat bananas, and stretch. Muscle soreness is normal when you start new exercises. Even when you stop feeling DMS (delayed muscle soreness) your muscles will still need to recover. You shouldn't work the same body parts every single day.

You should add in some running. I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to qualify for Boston at some point in my life. But I must run a marathon first haha.
09:34 PM on 05/17/10 
User Info.
imirish06
Adam.
PA
Male - 30 Years Old
Crossfit WOD's are cool but I'd never make them my only means of a routine.

And Ramrod. Waxy Maize is good stuff though really not much better than simple Dextrose. Dextrose is much cheaper too
04:41 AM on 05/18/10 
User Info.
TEAMRAMROD
it feels like a sauna in here.
NOLA
Male - 26 Years Old
And Ramrod. Waxy Maize is good stuff though really not much better than simple Dextrose. Dextrose is much cheaper too
Yeah, that's what I've seen from some reviews. Appreciate the input.
06:39 AM on 05/20/10 
User Info.
reachforthesun
'take me to where the kids drink'
detroit, mi
Male
what is the low down on waxy maize? i've heard it before and done limited research... recommended?
01:28 AM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
garggggh
Running marathons
Washington, DC
Female
Crossfit WOD's are cool but I'd never make them my only means of a routine.

Definitely not only routine but it's a good way to get heart rate up. Cardio + strength training all in one 15 minute session is pretty awesome.

I feel like guys are so concerned about what type of protein they should be drinking instead of what kind of exercises/how to exercise they should be doing. Yeah protein is important but there's a certain point where it doesn't matter what you drink because you aren't training properly.

I added swimming into my routine now. Gotta start training for my sprint triathlon and it'll be good cross-training for my marathon. Fuck. Gonna be so tired :(
03:33 AM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
Maxwell
awefaeeeeeeef
wales
Male - 26 Years Old
Speaking of Crossfit...me and my friends have been doing this once a week for the past 3 weeks now

21, 15, 9.
05:06 AM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old
I added swimming into my routine now. Gotta start training for my sprint triathlon and it'll be good cross-training for my marathon. Fuck. Gonna be so tired :(

I wish I swam more but I get in the pool and can't wait to get out. Just bores me really.

I even joined my gym so I can swim regularly. Nowadays I swim probably every 2 weeks.
09:05 AM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
Healthy Scratch
cowards only try it
i need motivation. hopefully i've come to the right place.
someone convince me how bad pop/soda is for me. even diet pop. and fast food.
i started lifting weights again a couple months ago and i play lots of basketball, but i want to lose weight and its not really happening. i need major intervention-type scare tactics to get my diet right.
12:02 PM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
garggggh
Running marathons
Washington, DC
Female
I wish I swam more but I get in the pool and can't wait to get out. Just bores me really.

I even joined my gym so I can swim regularly. Nowadays I swim probably every 2 weeks.

I think it's easier if you go in with a plan (like with any workout). The sprint triathlon requires 750m swim, so I'm trying to work my way up to that. Monday was my first day of swimming in 4 years. Did 200m free nonstop and then 6x50m sprints. Then yesterday was 300m free non stop with more sprints but with a mixture of breast and free.

Just go in and swim with a purpose. Then you can't get bored. I will say that running on a freaking treadmill bores me to no end now and I HATE when the entire row of treadmills are open and somebody has to take the one right next to me.

i started lifting weights again a couple months ago and i play lots of basketball, but i want to lose weight and its not really happening. i need major intervention-type scare tactics to get my diet right.

Sounds to me like you already know diet pop and fast food are bad for you. You just haven't given it up yet.

What's your starting weight and what's your goal weight and what else are you training for? You can't just focus on weight loss/number on the scale. It won't stick. You need to focus on overall health and fitness. THAT is something to work towards. Make some goals that you want to do (like say bench your body weight, do 25 pull-ups all in a row, do that 300 workout nonstop, run a marathon, etc.) and it'll be much easier to stay motivated.

There's no such thing as "the right diet". It depends on what you're training for, what your body needs. There's people who've lost tons of weight on high carb, low carb, low fat, high protein, and all sorts of combos. Most of the time, if you stick to calorie out > calorie in, you will lose weight. Cardio is an efficient way to burn fat, but strength training will decrease muscle loss. So do both. They do not have to be exclusive. And, cross-train. There's no point in having muscles if they're worthless in real life situations.
12:10 PM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
anamericangod
Georgia
Male - 28 Years Old
Verified

Go read anything about High Fructose Corn Syrup. Go watch Food Inc. Go read The Omnivore's Dilemma.

If you still don't feel like changing your lifestyle after educating yourself about all of that, then forget about it and accept the fact that you just don't have what it takes, and try not to be too surprised when your doctor tells you that you have diabetes, heart disease, or cancer.
12:29 PM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
KidRobot
Redemption.
NEW JERSEY
Male - 24 Years Old
I think it's easier if you go in with a plan (like with any workout). The sprint triathlon requires 750m swim, so I'm trying to work my way up to that. Monday was my first day of swimming in 4 years. Did 200m free nonstop and then 6x50m sprints. Then yesterday was 300m free non stop with more sprints but with a mixture of breast and free.

I usually get 40-50 laps in before I just say screw it which isn't bad. I was considering training for a triathlon, I just don't have the money for a solid bike and suit.

Just go in and swim with a purpose. Then you can't get bored. I will say that running on a freaking treadmill bores me to no end now and I HATE when the entire row of treadmills are open and somebody has to take the one right next to me.

Haha who doesn't hate that?

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=1707562

That should do it.
01:17 PM on 05/21/10 
User Info.
garggggh
Running marathons
Washington, DC
Female
I usually get 40-50 laps in before I just say screw it which isn't bad. I was considering training for a triathlon, I just don't have the money for a solid bike and suit.

Haha who doesn't hate that?

Holy cow. That's a lot of laps. Are you swimming at like full speed for 40-50 laps? I think I would puke. I felt like puking during my running sprints yesterday.

You should start training, even on a stationary bike. Go to a bike store, get fitted, then hunt for one on Craigslist or try to win one (lots of places giving away bikes online) or try to get sponsored. SELL YOURSELF! I want to write POM a long email about why they should sponsor me haha.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos