Password

Album Review

Since October - Life, Scars, Apologies Album Cover

Since October - Life, Scars, Apologies

Reviewed by
Since OctoberLife, Scars, Apologies
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: June 8, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Since October released their Tooth & Nail debut, This Is My Heart, back in May 2008. Featuring the hit single “Guilty,” this record showed who Since October are – a heavy rock, Christian band perfect for Tooth & Nail. Now two years later, they’re back with their second T&N record, Life, Scars, Apologies, an album that is much heavier than their previous one. It's most likely influenced by all the bands they’ve toured with since 2008, from Saliva to Flyleaf to Chevelle and Shinedown.

Life, Scars, Apologies is the perfect title for this roller coaster of a record, each song changing pace and structure, going through these aspects of living. Opener “The Way You Move” begins the ride at full force, shredding with heavy guitars and vocalist Ben Graham’s enraged voice. It’s clear why this track is a single of the record, as it encompasses Since October’s sound at its zenith. Title track “Life, Scars, Apologies,” changes pace entirely, beginning with soft guitar and Graham’s meek vocals that are evocative of Blue October’s Justin Furstenfeld. “Life” is very radio friendly, easily appealing to alternative Christian rock stations. “Believe” is another twist on the ride, a track full of angst and emotion, then suddenly, “Sober Love” puts the brakes on.

“Other Side of Me” reaches the top of the hill, before plunging down, with Graham’s haunting vocals commanding the ride. “Other Side” stands out on Life, Scars, Apologies due to superior vocals and lyrics. Already announced as an official theme song of WrestleMania, “The Show” rages down the hill at full speed, with drummer Audie Grantha’s rough screams over Graham’s brutal vocals, the track is the heaviest Since October have ever written. The chorus “trust me I’ll put my life on the line/cause I’ve got nothing to hide/round and round we go/this fight scores blow by blow/boom, boom, boom” is bombastic, full of zeal. After reaching the bottom of the hill, “Mend All The Pieces” prepares for the end of the ride, carrying the coaster around the next coil gradually, building apprehension.

“Crying Shame” coveys the skill of guitarist Luke Graham, as its unique rhythm paves the way to the end of Life, Scars, Apologies. “My Only” slows down before the ultimate fall “Made Up My Mind,” featuring the best vocals on the record. As the ride ends and comes to the gait, closer “Don’t Follow” features a harmonica and in this way, has a distinctive twang to it, ending Life, Scars, Apologies on a soft, country note. However, the track may be too much of a twist on the ride, as it sounds out of place on this record, and is therefore one of the flaws on Life. Though this final track does present a different side to Since October, demonstrating their creativity. “Don’t Follow” proves that if Since October continue to expand their sound, they’ll without doubt stand out among many in their genre.

With Life, Scars, Apologies, Since October have truly found their home on Tooth & Nail records. They're not afraid to experiment with different aspects of their sound and realize their capabilities. This record is Since October’s rollercoaster, for they’re in complete control of every twist and turn, helping the ride run smoothly. Each twist and turn is executed precisely, with few flaws on the ride. Life, Scars, Apologies proves Since October have no limitations.

Recommended If You LikeChristian Rock Music; Shinedown; Papa Roach; Chevelle; other Tooth and Nail releases

Listen ToLife, Scars, Apologies; Sober Love; Crying Shame; Made Up My Mind

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. The Way You Move
2. Life, Scars, Apologies
3. Believe
4. Sober Love
5. Life of Mine
6. Other Side Of Me
7. The Show
8. Mend All The Pieces
9. Crying Shame
10. My Only
11. Made Up My Mind
12. Don’t Follow

Since October are:
Ben Graham - Lead Vocals
Luke Graham - Guitar, Backing Vocals
Josh Johnson - Bass, Backing Vocals
Audie Grantha - Drums, Screaming Vocals

myspace.com/sinceoctober

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
07:23 PM on 09/19/10
il1989
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
great review I bought this cd is'nt the song "don't follow" a alice in chains cover?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos