AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Entertainment News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

David Braun Posts Short Film

Posted by - 09:02 PM on 06/04/10
David Braun (ex-Great Glass Elevator) has posted his first short film. Pretty cool stuff.

Displaying posts 1 - 13 of 13
09:22 PM on 06/04/10
cobwebsformaps
el coyote took me and left my kids
User Info.
very cool
09:28 PM on 06/04/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Neat
09:37 PM on 06/04/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
"My First Super-8"

awful
11:03 PM on 06/04/10
0s0
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
For the most part, the visuals and angles were cool. Super-imposed animations were legit. However the some of it was facetiously unoriginal. The "old-time film" filter makes it look like it was made on Windows Movie Maker. Images juxtaposed over a pre-baby boomers era voice-over...Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh. Reminds me of when I went to UCI and the art majors would paste cottonballs to hangers and call it "art" in front of their "adoring audiences" yet laugh at how contrived the "creative process" was.

"My First Super-8"

awful

Agree. But not "awful." Just..."overdone."
03:18 AM on 06/05/10
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
User Info.
interesting, i enjoyed it.
06:52 AM on 06/05/10
shwaz499
User Info.
shouldve shot it on an arriflex or something better then a super 8. it looked stupid.
08:50 AM on 06/05/10
Alexx Miller
Dominic Decoco
User Info.
Cool
10:06 AM on 06/05/10
JimWrynoski
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
If by "very cool" you meant really unoriginal and pretentious ... yes ... it is. I hate how all these ex. band dudes become "filmmakers". I also hate people who use the word "film". They're movies. Get over yourself! Go listen to some more Grizzly Bear and drink ironic beer. Cunts.
02:12 PM on 06/05/10
serendipity
Columnated Ruins Domino
User Info.
Oh man, how I missed being a part of the conversation on this website!

Thank you to everyone who took a few minutes out of your day to watch my movie (I must agree with this JimWrynoski fellow, the word 'film' has a certain pretentious ring to it sometimes and let's face it, these things are movies!). As this really was my first attempt at a real short movie I am very grateful for all of the criticisms, and it's kind of refreshing to be called a cunt again after years of not being trashed on messageboards. Here are my humble responses to some of your humble reactions:

"My First Super-8"

awful

Haha, it definitely was my first, hopefully after a few more years of learning how to operate camera equipment I'll have improved a little bit.

The "old-time film" filter makes it look like it was made on Windows Movie Maker.

The whole movie was actually shot on 16mm film, and I didn't use any filters at all in the editing, so maybe the monitor you were watching it on was weird? It's hand processed, so maybe the extra grain is what caused it to look like a WMM filter. I'm not sure, I hadn't heard that one yet. But thanks for the comment.

interesting, i enjoyed it.

Thanks, Tony! How ya been? I'm so glad I still know at least one person on ap.net!

shouldve shot it on an arriflex or something better then a super 8. it looked stupid.

Again, it was not shot on Super-8, it was on a Bolex with 16mm, but it was pretty out of focus, and the hand processing does make it kinda weird.

If by "very cool" you meant really unoriginal and pretentious ... yes ... it is. I hate how all these ex. band dudes become "filmmakers". I also hate people who use the word "film". They're movies. Get over yourself! Go listen to some more Grizzly Bear and drink ironic beer. Cunts.

I can't think of any other ex band members who have become filmmakers, but I'd love to check their stuff out! Could you tell me which people you are referring to? Completely agree on the film quote, this was definitely a movie. I'm actually not a huge Grizzly Bear fan, my favorite musicians are Weird Al, The Beach Boys, Devo and New Found Glory... but I do like some PBR every once in awhile. It ain't so bad and it has a pretty cool can.

Thanks again dudes!

David
02:42 PM on 06/06/10
tonyC4L
tech-savvy at-risk youth
User Info.
Thanks, Tony! How ya been? I'm so glad I still know at least one person on ap.net!
Yeah it's been a while! I'm doing great, still living in San Luis Obispo for a few more months while I finish up school. How about you? I'm very glad to see you're still making art
07:27 PM on 06/06/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Peace out, BRO...hope you enjoyed your one and only week on this website.
04:10 PM on 06/09/10
Asthenia-182
But it doesn't bother me at all...
User Info.
GGWO.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT