Password

Album Review
The Afterlife Kids - The Afterlife Kids Album Cover

The Afterlife Kids - The Afterlife Kids

Reviewed by
The Afterlife Kids - The Afterlife Kids
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: June 15, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
If you're a regular on this website, then you've been subject to at least one viral marketing scheme. Most of the users here have a strict opinion on this form of marketing - there are some who can't stand it and there are some who find it mildly entertaining. I put myself in the latter group, as my natural curiosity gets the better of me, and when I see a viral marketing scheme take off, I usually follow through and check out the information that is revealed about it later. When we first heard about The Afterlife Kids, it was due to a random YouTube video entitled "Who Are The Afterlife Kids?" that played a newly recorded song from the band. We later found out that the group is made up of former members of Sullivan and This Runs Through, and whether or not you liked The Afterlife Kids' method of getting noticed, the fact is that they managed to drum up more attention for their debut self-titled EP than they normally would have been able to. In this case, my curiosity paid off and I got rewarded by hearing a unique and promising EP from a new band.

The Afterlife Kids
holds only five songs that total only just over 17 minutes, but the songs that have been recorded present a unique style of indie rock that is a tad heavy and at times, very catchy. The EP kicks off with "Decayed", a good opening track that show that The Afterlife Kids aren't afraid to rock out. The verses are very ambience-oriented while the choruses bring out Brooks Paschal's one-of-a-kind voice. The musicianship manages to fit his voice, but it seems that it although Paschal's voice is likeable, it would easily be out of place if the music wasn't done right. Following is "Dr. Bizarro", the standout track on The Afterlife Kids. Following a similar structure to "Decayed", this track is better because the fitting guitar work in the verses and a chorus that is much catchier. With cries of "I don't wanna go / I'm sorry / I don't wanna go / I'm scared", "Dr. Bizarro" is the easiest song to sing along to on this EP.

Another song that stands out to me is "Plenty to Say", where Paschal's voice is softer than ever in the verses and is backed up by reverberated guitars in the choruses. In the verses, the vocals contains traces of Andrew McMahon, while when The Afterlife Kids pick things up, Paschal sounds a bit like Gerard Way. The contrast is great but works in the context of the songs, and when The Afterlife Kids manage to nail the transitions is when they're at their best. Closer "Scream" is a slower-tempo ballad-ish number, sounding industrial at times while accompanied by a delay-effect guitar that doesn't really fit in. The song sounds confused at times and is easily the weakest offering on this effort.

I think above all, The Afterlife Kids have shown with their debut EP that they are worthy of your attention. Not because they put up mysterious YouTube videos to get hits on their website, but because they can write a good song. While on the whole this EP is nothing fantastic and may get lost in the shuffle of better music that comes out this summer, it will for me be a reminder to keep an eye out for The Afterlife Kids.

Recommended If You LikeJack's Mannequin + My Chemical Romance. or something.
Download These First"Dr. Bizarro"
Bare Essentials1. Decayed
2. Dr. Bizarro
3. Love Monster
4. Plenty To Say
5. Scream
Run Time: 17 minutes, 15 seconds
Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
11:07 PM on 06/04/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
I loved this EP when it was streaming on PV awhile back. Can't wait to get a copy. Great review man!
11:44 PM on 06/04/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Haven't listened to much of their stuff yet, but I loved Sullivan when they were around, so glad a couple of them are still doing stuff. Can't wait to check this out. Brooks' solo album with Surprises wasn't too bad.
12:05 AM on 06/05/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
I will need to check this out
09:01 AM on 06/05/10
cardhousedreame
Do I dare disturb the universe?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Their songs are really well written.
11:18 AM on 06/05/10
coveryoureyes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love what I've heard, and I loved Sullivan, but this is the shittiest review I've ever read.
01:20 PM on 06/05/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Love what I've heard, and I loved Sullivan, but this is the shittiest review I've ever read.
Cool story, bro. Maybe you've never edited the user reviews then.
01:21 PM on 06/05/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Release Date: June 15, 2010

Not clear enough?
01:43 PM on 06/07/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Nice review. I like the comparisons to Jack's Mannequin and MCR. The MySpace songs aren't that great of quality, but I still get the gist of it.
09:55 AM on 06/10/10
coveryoureyes
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Cool story, bro. Maybe you've never edited the user reviews then.
Sorry bro, but it's just poorly written. I think it's just the English major shining through me.
01:05 PM on 06/10/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Sorry bro, but it's just poorly written. I think it's just the English major shining through me.
It's not really one of my better ones. The Bright & Early one I wrote is better. I feel like I haven't really nailed one like I like to since the Foxy Shazam one I wrote a month ago. But I'm working on a couple now that should be back up to par.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos