Password

Album Review

The Bamboo Kids - The Way Things Are EP Album Cover

The Bamboo Kids - The Way Things Are EP

Reviewed by
The Bamboo Kids - The Way Things Are
Record Label: Drug Front Records
Release Date: Sept. 4, 2009
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?
The Bamboo Kids are a Brooklyn garage-trio that has been performing for more than a decade. The Way Things Are was recorded just prior to the band's headlining tour in Europe and was recorded and mixed with Jesse Cannon (Chase Pagan, Hot Rod Circuit, The Menzingers).

How is it?
Phenomenal. Trust me, if you want a summer record, look no further than this overlooked gem. Five, concise, leave-it-all-on-the-table summer jams. Opener "Daylight Be Damned," is hazy and snappy with vocalist Dwight Week's voice being drowned out by thick guitars and a wave of a chorus that crashes down over the entire exercise. Buttressed by twinkling keys and a rousing horn section, it's as good as they come. "You Can't Trust Me," is a snarky and telling kiss-off that borrows jagged 70s Brit-rock energy and unabashed honesty to make for a solid follow up. "The Way Things Are," is one of the album's definite peaks as the splashy horn section returns and vocalist Dwight Weeks sounds as confident as ever.

From there the album never lets up. "Central European Time," is a tender and timeless ballad from a singer who sounds world-weary, haggard and wise beyond his years. A lilting organ and funereal horns help make this downtrodden dirge sound downright hypnotic. The disc closes with the sun-splashed "The Streets of New York CIty," which introduces E Street Band-like energy and marries a jubilant horn section with vernal optimism. Hip-shaking, honey-dipped and downright infectious, it's as perfect a summer jam as any. Ten years into an oft-overlooked career, The Bamboo Kids might have just crafted the album of their career. Yes, it's that good.

Note: Another autumn release that just came across my desk. Apologies if it's being reviewed so long after it's release date.

Track Listing 1. Daylight Be Damned
2. You Can't Trust Me
3. The Way Things Are
4. Central European Time
5. The Streets of New York City

Recommended If You Like The Clash, The Rolling Stones, The Gaslight Anthem, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Chuck Berry, Jesse Malin

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

No one has commented on this album review.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version