AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

Sparks Will Fly - 06.10.10

Interviewed by
Sparks Will Fly - 06.10.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

Sparks Will Fly

www.myspace.com/sparkswillflymusic
www.facebook.com/sparkswillflymusic

1. How did you get your band name?
Before we released our first EP last spring, made a huge list of all the names we could think of... we took ideas from lyrics, song titles, random thoughts, all sorts of stuff. We narrowed it down to ten that we really liked, and ended up choosing "Sparks Will Fly". It comes from the Rolling Stones song of the same name.

2. How did this band get started?
My brother Jordan and I have been in bands together for the last five years or so... we eventually decided we want to get serious and pursue music as a career, so we started this band. We're releasing our second EP in July, and we're going to be promoting it on Warped Tour this summer.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Tons of them! We all have different influences and favorite bands, but as a band I think a few of our stronger influences would be bands such as Valencia, Go Radio, The Academy Is, Mayday Parade, and Boys Like Girls .... this changes daily, but few of my current personal favorites are New Found Glory, TREOS, Tom Petty, Taylor Swift, and John Mayer.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
Guns and Roses, for the sheer ridiculousness of it all. I'd love to tour with Jason Lancaster's new band, Go Radio. We've also made lots of great friends I'd love to tour with again, such as Shut Up And Deal and Set Phasers To Stun.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Definitely a tiger.

On that note, though, when we were in Denver last summer, we actually ended up running across a furry convention. There were a few of them outside the hotel/convention center walking around the streets in costume. It was really, really disturbing to watch them take pictures with little kids who had no idea why they were actually dressed like that.

...needless to say, we took pictures with one of them. He was a fox.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Hopefully if they do, they will discover new music that they really love, and that's the best feeling ever.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
I know I'm jumping the gun on this one a little, but I'd have to say our new song "The Best Thing I Ever Had".
We're going to be releasing it in a few weeks, and I think the guitar solo might make it a tricky one!

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
Wow, I wouldn't know where to begin. Our family, friends, and fans. There are so many people who have been so good to us and helped us out so much that I couldn't possibly name them all.
Definitely the kind transmission repairman who fixed our van for free when we got stranded out in California in the fall.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I have no idea. The entire industry is a disaster right now.

10. Memorable tour experience?
There have been so many! The all night tailgate party before Warped Tour at the Gorge in Washington was INSANE. We found a hobo sleeping in our van once. We've crossed the country six times in the past year, and seen some absolutely ridiculous things.

11. What does AP.net mean to you?
I go on AP.net every single day. Generally several times. It's where I get almost all of my band news.

12. What is your favorite song to play?
Anything people get into... You're Not Dying always goes over well live, and that makes it a lot of fun. We also try to throw in fun covers for people who havn't seen us before when we go on tour, and we did a Britney Spears cover for awhile that was a blast.

13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I've never been on a real vacation, but I live in Rhode Island, so we always have the beaches nearby.

14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
Anything country, because I grew up in Tennessee. Also, a lot of classic rock my parents used to play... The Beach Boys, The Beatles, James Taylor, and The Police were always on around the house.

15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
What powers, you ask? I dunno how 'bout the power of flight?
That do anything for ya? That's levitation, holmes.
How 'bout the power to kill a yak from 200 yards away...
with mind bullets! That's telekinesis, Kyle.
How 'bout the power to move you?

16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
No. I don't even know what I would consider making it, but I would love to be able to tour on a more full time basis. We're entirely DIY right now, and it can be extremely difficult to stay on the road as much as we want to.

17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I'm the oldest member of the band. People always tell me I look like the youngest!

18. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas! I love the holiday season. There is just something special about that time of year.

19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Music is mostly what I do... I suppose in my spare time, I like to watch tv (cheesy crime shows are my favorite!), hang out with friends, and go to the beach.

20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
If I told you, they wouldn't be hidden.

No one has commented on this interview.
You can be the first.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums