Password

Album Review
Escape the Fate - Dying Is Your Latest Fashion Album Cover

Escape the Fate - Dying Is Your Latest Fashion

Reviewed by
Escape the Fate - Dying Is Your Latest Fashion
Record Label: Epitaph Records
Release Date: September 26, 2006

Escape the Fate’s ‘Dying Is Your Latest Fashion’ has success written all over it. Not only does the album feature all the violent, cliché-filled lyrics that most nu-screamo bands use today, but they of course also have a sense of fashion and have gathered a sizable following. And not only that, but their vocalist on this album (he left the band after the recording) has a voice that’s nearly identical to From First to Last’s Sonny Moore. So by now, you’ll probably know if you’re gonna like this release or not.

The best thing that can be said about ‘Dying Is Your Latest Fashion’ is that it is a progression over their EP released several months ago. They didn’t exactly re-invent themselves, which was only inevitable considering the short span in between the two releases, but they at least are able to craft a few enjoyable moments here and there. Now don’t take that statement the wrong way, this is no way a good album at all, but unlike their EP, there are a few parts on songs that aren’t absolutely terrible.

‘Situations,’ which was previously released on “Unsound”, actually showcases a rather catchy song structure that is only hindered by Ronny Radke’s vocals cracking occasionally at the end of lines and slightly cheesy lyrics. ‘Not Good Enough For Truth In Cliché’ somehow is able to turn lyrics like ‘sitting in this room playing Russian roulette / finger on the trigger to my dear Juliet / this blood on my hands is something I cannot forget’ until a annoyingly catchy chorus.

However, a majority of the bands nowadays can craft a few good songs but can’t keep it up the entire album. Add Escape the Fate to the growing count. ‘The Guillotine,’ which was featured on their EP, should have never even been considered to be featured here. Featuring generic and entirely weak screaming over 5th rate metal riffing and the weakest breakdown in quite some time, the song is like having someone throw up in your ear. ‘The Day I Left the Womb’ is a nasally sung and painful to endure acoustic song that feels entirely forced. ‘Cellar Door’ somehow manages to include an industrial-sounding drum line that is worse than the horrendous attempt Eighteen Visions attempted earlier this year. The rest of the album plays out as a rockier version of From First to Last and is even bound to confuse the casual listener into thinking that this is From First to Last.

I don’t want to come off like an asshole, But we’re gonna be that change in music. I have a vision. I want people to have fun, put their fists in the air. We’re getting recognized in every city. It’s gonna happen. Watch. I’m not jokin’. We’re gonna be the biggest thing. So huge. I know it.

Apparently Ronny Radke had large expectations for ‘Dying Is Your Latest Fashion.’ Apparently his band members didn’t get the memo as this album doesn’t change music, has no vision, isn’t fun and is as generic as it gets.
This review is a user submitted review from crazytoledo. You can see all of crazytoledo's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 69
10:49 AM on 09/27/06
jsim
User Info.
your a douche and the one of the worst writers to come across this site in a long time.
12:34 PM on 09/27/06
a speedo model
an enthusiast
User Info.
hahahahaha
12:43 PM on 09/27/06
Greg.Kushlan
Ghostbusting makes me feel good
User Info.
so why do users get to submit reviews?
02:38 PM on 09/27/06
polock
yaaaankee! swap
User Info.
fuck this guy
02:39 PM on 09/27/06
polock
yaaaankee! swap
User Info.
in the ass
05:09 PM on 09/27/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Seriously, though, I just get really amused by the comments from time to time. I've always noticed that if you post a negative review for an album that people like, those people will come back with the same exact comments insulting the review and reviewer, while the people who didn't like the album will approve of the review.

But then again, I'm starting to get kind of strict on my review scores now a days and defitnely more critical towards music.

As long as I don't have to read a bunch of comments on how I hate these guys cause of their 'image' or that I have some sort of distaste with emo music, then I'll be fine with whatever is said. I just don't feel like reading more ignorant claims about me based on a review, though they normally amuse me.
05:47 PM on 09/27/06
polock
yaaaankee! swap
User Info.
fuck u
06:10 PM on 09/27/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.

Real mature man.
07:18 PM on 09/27/06
mewithoutyou37
User Info.
yeah i agree that this is a very shitty review.
11:58 PM on 09/27/06
TheBaroness
User Info.
this band want to bring back glam rock, so fuck them.
03:21 AM on 09/28/06
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
I heard most of the songs on PureVolume and in my opinion it´s a good band with a solid current album, but nothing that catch me off my feet. I kind of missed a bit their own style, that makes their sound different from comparable bands, but really no bad album ;)
12:24 PM on 09/28/06
oh!shit!fuck!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hmm im gonna have to agree.this band blows.
i think its funny, the statement the lead singer made.
that shows that he knows there making typical cliche music and the goal ohh yeahh to get huge and be mtv rock starssssss..yayyyyy.

cant stand bands like this.
02:24 PM on 09/28/06
jsim
User Info.
Seriously, though, I just get really amused by the comments from time to time. I've always noticed that if you post a negative review for an album that people like, those people will come back with the same exact comments insulting the review and reviewer, while the people who didn't like the album will approve of the review.

But then again, I'm starting to get kind of strict on my review scores now a days and defitnely more critical towards music.

As long as I don't have to read a bunch of comments on how I hate these guys cause of their 'image' or that I have some sort of distaste with emo music, then I'll be fine with whatever is said. I just don't feel like reading more ignorant claims about me based on a review, though they normally amuse me.

Kind of strict, more like you don't have any idea what you are talking about. One piece of advice for you, DONT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB. Rolling Stone and AP will NOT be calling you.

03:35 PM on 09/28/06
crazytoledo
Addicted to slurpees
User Info.
Kind of strict, more like you don't have any idea what you are talking about. One piece of advice for you, DONT QUIT YOUR DAY JOB. Rolling Stone and AP will NOT be calling you.

1. Apparently I do have some idea about what I'm talking about. This is generic, cliche, and unoriginal music that isn't very good.

2. Pshh...day job. I'm only in high school with a part time job...

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos