AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
MyChildren MyBride - Lost Boy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 76%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.71
Musicianship 6.31
Lyrics 6.38
Production 6.94
Creativity 5.52
Lasting Value 6.35
Reviewer Tilt 6.38
Average: 64%
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

MyChildren MyBride - Lost Boy

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (06/10/10)
MyChildren MyBrideLost Boy
Release Date: June 8. 2010
Record Label: Solid State

MyChildren MyBride hail from the church of breakdowns and follow the book of circle pits religiously with their sophomore effort, Lost Boy. While their debut, Unbreakable, might have been more riff-centric, Lost Boy just wants to pulverize and destroy for forty minutes. The Madison, Alabama, quintet amp up the attitude throughout, thanks to producer Matt Goldman (Underoath) and the natural improvement from each band member.

This album is the ideal summer album for any metalcore fan. Much like how August Burn Red’s Constellations scorched your speakers last summer, MyChildren MyBride will do the same. Opening track “Terra Firma” starts this barbeque off just right. Guitars crunch and soar while vocalist Matthew Hasting unleashes his powerful screams. If there is one thing to be said about Lost Boy, it’s the improvement of Hasting’s vocals. Another certainty is Lost Boy never lets up, as it’s going 95 in a 50 throughout. “King of the Hopeless” features urgent yells from Hastings over dark melodic guitar chords – courtesy of Robert Bloomfield and Daniel Alvarado.

“Crimson Grim” and the title track get the album’s pulse beating a little faster, as MyChildren MyBride find their groove in these two tracks. Power chords and a raucous breakdown anchor the former, while the latter incorporates infectious gang vocals. While the album can lack focus and variation at times (one of the curses of playing this specific genre), Hasting and company still find a way to keep the energy up, such as the fun “Nuclear+.” The rhythm section of bassist Joe Lengson and drummer Mathis Arnell instantly draw you into the song, while the riffing from Bloomfield and Alvarado keeps your interest.

While some techniques are exhausted on Lost Boy, we can chalk those up to the band going through the bumps and bruises of a sophomore album. The barbaric “Digital Rebirth” would make Hagar the Horrible blush, while “Redeemer” is an exercise in swift domination.

The songs in Lost Boy were constructed in this way so that they’d transition over into the fun and energetic live show MyChildren MyBride put on. I’d say mission accomplished. Sure, Lost Boy isn't going to shake the metalcore world, but it’ll still create plenty of chaos in the pit and in your stereo all summer long.

Once again, Hasting’s emphatic bark cannot be understated – he makes each song his own and transitions between a gutteral growl and high yell throughout. Lost Boy portrays the healthy progression the band has made since Unbreakable. There is still work to be done, but MyChildren MyBride has put together a well-crafted piece of work – one that tells us that the band’s best work is still ahead of them.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Terra Firma
2. Hooligans
3. King of the Hopeless
4. Crimson Grim
5. Lost Boy
6. Dark Passengers
7. Gatekeeper
8. Digital Rebirth
9. Redeemer
10. Nuclear+
11. Lungs Full Of Water
Produced by: Matt Goldman

MyChildren MyBride is:
Matthew Hasting – vocals
Robert Bloomfield – guitar
Joe Lengson – bass
Daniel Alvarado – guitar
Mathis Arnell - drums

Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile; Official Twitter Account

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 59
01:25 AM on 06/10/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Quote:
Sure, Lost Boy is going to shake the metalcore world, but it’ll still create plenty of chaos in the pit and in your stereo all summer long.

Do you mean isn't?
05:10 AM on 06/10/10
Jake Denning
User Info.
I'd definitely say this CD is in the 80+ range; Matt really brought his A-game this record, me along with alot of people thought that the opening to King of The Hopeless was Nick Thomas from Take It Back, threw us all for a loop, was him all along.
05:28 AM on 06/10/10
Jaimehere
Support local music!
User Info.
Agree that it is in the 70-80% range, Digital Rebirth is probably the best song off the record
05:52 AM on 06/10/10
dismrepair08
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
I’d said mission accomplished.

I think you meant to put "say." haha

But yeah, good review. I think I just might check this album out after reading this.
06:05 AM on 06/10/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
I really like the artwork. The music... well, I've checked out a few tracks on Myspace but I haven't really enjoyed them that much.
06:26 AM on 06/10/10
nicwtor
User Info.
One of the few metalcore bands that I actually listen to. I need to pick this up.
06:57 AM on 06/10/10
jasonisasleep
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They really channel Darkest Hour on this album, but I like it a lot (as I like both Darkest Hour and Myhildren Mybride anyway).
07:10 AM on 06/10/10
cereal4life
User Info.
I like the review, Drew! Loving the Hagar the Horrible reference.
07:19 AM on 06/10/10
Chuck!
Lost Forever // Lost Together
User Info.
So far I haven't enjoyed this nearly as much as Unbreakable, but I'm going to keep giving it a chance. These guys desperately need to diversify their sound, though.
07:26 AM on 06/10/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Good review. I've had the album from Solid State for some time now; it's definitely worth checking out.
07:36 AM on 06/10/10
live.
Feenay! Fee hee hee hee heenay!
User Info.
I remember sitting in my room in 8th grade trying to play along with "Circle The Sky". They're still on the generic side, but this is a solid record and they've totally come a long way.
07:56 AM on 06/10/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
This is a solid band, and this is a decent metalcore album. Just worked out to it this morning.
08:19 AM on 06/10/10
circletheworld
Old Fears New Frontiers
User Info.
this has the best artwork i have seen this year...
08:24 AM on 06/10/10
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
i like this album and i love its artwork.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests