AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Landmines - Landmines Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 6.5
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Landmines - Landmines

Reviewed by: CellarGhosts (06/11/10)
Landmines - Landmines
Record Label: Paper + Plastick
Release Date: July 22, 2008

With the numerous different bands that make up the hardcore scene, it can sometimes be a challenging genre to explore. Often, one will have to search through a mess of similar-sounding bands all aping the 'E-F-D-E' style chord progressions to find something truly memorable. Enter Richmond, VA's Landmines. Marrying hardcore intensity and punk rock melodicism, Landmines deliver a brand of hardcore not unlike that of No Trigger or early Smoke Or Fire. Their self-titled release is a fine example of hardcore done right - honest, passionate and all around fun to listen to.

Opening track "80 Proof" gets the ball rolling with a blistering wave of sledge-hammer guitars over pounding percussion, a formula which doesn't let up throughout the album's duration and yet, doesn't get repetitive or wearing. "Penny Ante" is another standout that sees the band displaying a slightly less intense side, focusing on melodic guitar lines that intertwine with an urgent vocal delivery that drives the whole point home.

While there are no bad tracks on the album, there are a few which may not stick with the listener upon early spins. "In Our Name" feels almost like filler material, especially with choice cuts "First Chords" and "Penny Ante" following. Penultimate track "Talk Is Cheap But Yours Is Worthless" falls under the same category, though things pick back up immediately on album closer "Shadows and Ashes", a shout-along-ready anthem that reiterates what it is Landmines do best: memorable, lasting, melodic hardcore that leaves its mark on the listener long after the final notes have faded.

RIYLStrike Anywhere, Smoke Or Fire, Paint It Black, No Trigger

Displaying posts 1 - 4 of 4.
01:22 PM on 06/18/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Good review Chris! Well-played calling out the filler and name-dropping No Trigger. Although, a Strike Anywhere one would be just as apt and probably get more attention. Nice to see THESE Virginians get some attention, though!
02:01 PM on 06/18/10
CellarGhosts
cellarghosts.tumblr.com
User Info.
Good review Chris! Well-played calling out the filler and name-dropping No Trigger. Although, a Strike Anywhere one would be just as apt and probably get more attention. Nice to see THESE Virginians get some attention, though!
Thanks Andy! And I knew I was forgetting something in the RIYL department, so good call haha. Will edit that in.
07:34 PM on 06/21/10
Imadethisjustto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
landmines are a plague to most war torn nations. I heard somewhere that large african rats are being trained in africe to help sniff out this horrible devices to save lives. i think the band should add ( with giant rats to clean up) after there name, so it makes people feel better. i think blowing up people isnt cool, unless your 13 and never had good parents but always had access to violent video games and movies. but its all good.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests