Password

Album Review
Attack Attack! - Attack Attack! Album Cover

Attack Attack! - Attack Attack!

Reviewed by
Attack Attack! - Attack Attack!
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: June 8, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
The last time I wrote a review for a band that was on Rise Records, my introduction stated what a rare and wonderful feeling I got when I listened to it. From a label that spouts crap from the stereo like water from a fountain, hearing something worthwhile was quite simply an exhilarating experience. Meanwhile, back at the Batcave, Attack Attack! continued to exist. The headliners of Rise Records' "synth-core" or "dance-metal" or "scene-core" lineup, whatever you want to call this genre, are at it again with their self-titled follow-up to their 2008 debut Someday Came Suddenly. The br00tl metal breakdowns, autotuned vocals, generic lyrics, and 14-year-old-girl-attracting synth lines are back, along with every other predictable twist or turn you can think of.

Background strings/synth to make breakdowns sound even more totally epic? Check. Complete dance pop song with absolutely no trace of metal guitars or screaming? Check. Song with a Weezy-esque rap intro? Check.

In one of the worst records I've heard this year, Attack Attack! brings to the table an even more predictable and boring set of songs than their debut. Someday Came Suddenly was extremely repetitive, making it absolutely impossible to listen to all at once, even from a reviewer's standpoint. But at least it was light-hearted and came across a little bit fun when you listened to songs on their own. Attack Attack! is worse because of the curveballs thrown in to make it seem less repetitive that everyone saw coming, and because the band is trying too hard.

The bare-bones structure of Attack Attack!'s sound is back, featuring high-pitched vocals to the point that dogs everywhere bark in suffering, metal breakdowns, and autotuned, synth-laden dance portions. It's safe to say that they haven't gotten any better or worse at what they do. The screaming, guitar riffs, and drum work still show that the members of this band could go form a terrible metal-core band that would become respected in some circles, but instead choose to devote their time and energy into this monstrosity of a project. The screaming, in particular, has notably improved after a mess which featured the band kicking out two lead vocalists. But in the end, this record shows everything that is wrong with music today. It's not even the type of music that I could imagine someone calling a "guilty pleasure". At least bands like Forever the Sickest Kids and Cobra Starship offer up catchy hooks, but the portions of Attack Attack! that are meant to be catchy only leave a bitter taste in the listener's mouth as the contrast in styles is hardly pleasant.

Opener "Sexual Man Chocolate" features the group doing their best impression of a Chiodos-style breakdown with a piano riff in the background. Then we get to the screaming, followed by the most unwelcome vocals I've ever heard from a vocalist who I will admit has talent. The next song, "Renob, Nevada" (lol they made a boner joke, mom!) continues the background strings or synth in the breakdowns. This is supposed to enhance these parts, but it seems like something of a joke, sounding as if it were put together by a child using Garage Band. All that being said, this is the best song on the record. Gang vocals and a couple occasions of nifty guitar work along with the most tolerable vocals that the group offers make it possible to get through the track. "Shut Your Mouth" shows that Attack Attack! have no real identity. First they were trying to be Chiodos, and on this song they want to be Cobra Starship. However, the attempt is ill-advised and the result is an awful shot in the dark at dance music that I don't even want to listen to again to write more about.

The song with the wanna-be Weezy-like rap intro is called "Fumbles O'Brian". The transition between the intro and the 143rd totally brutal breakdown on this record is even worse than the normal transition between dance-pop and metal that my bleeding ears have already grown accustomed to. Closer "Lonely" is too much for me to describe. I guess Attack Attack! wanted a really awesome last song or something, because they made it five and a half minutes long and started it off with a "look at how versatile we are" ballad-ish piano part. Then there's about half a minute of touching one-on-one time with the vocalist before the mediocre electronics come in. The song seemingly ends, finally culminating the horrific listen, before starting again in a completely electronic hidden track.

For the most part I respect everyone's opinions and tastes, and even though I can't stand the fashion-clad pop bands, everyone has their own thing. But this disgusting genre, this crap-core, this stunningly acute realization of the phrase "audible genital warts", is the worst thing that we are dealing with right now. Teachers always say to ignore the bullies and they'll go away. Maybe if we close our eyes and pretend that this album, this band, and most of this record label's releases are all just a nightmare, then they'll go away faster.

Recommended If You Likethe smell of burning flesh
Download These Firstrun away while you still can, Melvin.
Bare Essentialsthere seriously aren't any, but here's a Myspace link.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 361
10:58 PM on 06/11/10
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
25% is rather generous.
10:58 PM on 06/11/10
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
lol, fail.
10:59 PM on 06/11/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Absolutely brilliant.
11:01 PM on 06/11/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
My AOTY
11:04 PM on 06/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Review or album?
Thanks haha
11:05 PM on 06/11/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
25% is rather generous.
Honestly I barely glanced at the numbers I put. I just knew that creativity and musicianship should be lowest and production highest. I didn't even touch the user tilt lol
11:05 PM on 06/11/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
Tweet calling upon Attackattackian's to bash Thomas into a new oblivion in 3...2...1...
11:06 PM on 06/11/10
rushour144
User Info.
HAHAHA, but I have to hand it to AA cause at least they TRIED to step away from their stereotypes. Of course by adding that crap singer and crap techno stuff (esp. track 4, what a freaking joke) tthey failed.

But they do have kind of a For the Fallen Dreams feeling to them now. If they survive to make another album, they better mature, and work on the FTFD sound, cause they would actually have some potential.
11:08 PM on 06/11/10
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
Bravo Thomas, bravo. I will have to admit that a few songs on SCS are guilty pleasures and like you said, they were at times a bit light-hearted and fun to listen to at times. But this album is as you described... so bad. And that pmtoday record is great and hopefully everyone reading this review will go click that link to the pmtoday review and check that record out. Also, lol at the RIYL
Nick Le
Yeezy taught me.
User Info.
HAHAHA, but I have to hand it to AA cause at least they TRIED to step away from their stereotypes. Of course by adding that crap singer and crap techno stuff (esp. track 4, what a freaking joke) tthey failed.

But they do have kind of a For the Fallen Dreams feeling to them now. If they survive to make another album, they better mature, and work on the FTFD sound, cause they would actually have some potential.
I hear the FTFD sound also.
Mr. November
I won't fuck us over.
User Info.
This is probably the most unbiased review they will get for this album.
red8ge
@JohnxHill
User Info.
Great review.
11:09 PM on 06/11/10
johnnyferris
Inside of your heart always
User Info.
theres only like 5 decent songs on this album the rest suck a fat one
11:10 PM on 06/11/10
S9Dallasoz