Password

Album Review

Terror On The Screen - This Time's For Real Album Cover

Terror On The Screen - This Time's For Real

Reviewed by
Terror On The Screen - This Time’s For Real
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: October 24th, 2009
Sure, I’ll take a little extra dose of pop-punk through my car’s speakers. Don’t mind if I do. With a name like Terror On The Screen I would have expected some screamo/hardcore mixture of a band invading my iTunes, but I have to admit that This Time’s For Real turned out to be a pleasant pop-punk surprise. With breakdowns akin to that of Four Year Strong and melodic vocals usually heard from bands like Every Avenue or the slightly more well-known Cartel, Terror On The Screen presents a solid six-song collection in this debut release.

The EP’s title track is a 24-second opener driven by pounding drums and a solid thumping background of bass and guitar. The gang vocals “This time’s for real!” are the only words necessary to start off this record at a high point - vigorous and straightforward.

Beneath the pop-punk friendly vocals, Terror On The Screen writes realistic music, underlying the expected love songs with lines of striking truth and realizations. These songs are the stories of a boy revealing himself through songs, finally finding the words he could never speak aloud in any other way. In "Forecast," the lyrics read:

“I searched high and low for the words to say
But they never come out right, it's always at the wrong time
This isn't be being difficult, this is me telling you that I'm in love
And I never got to say what I really need to say
I'm so afraid you'll think less of me”

The highlight of the EP comes with “Mayday (Over And Out)”, a melodically upbeat song that completely reaffirms the band’s label in the pop-punk genre. The tune is just catchy and repetitive enough to burrow into your brain for a good hour or two after listening. In a tale of struggling to maintain a failing relationship, lead singer George Yurchak questions the efforts made, asking “So tell me why it seems / That I’d be better off banging my head off the pilot seat / Is it worth it, Am I worth this / Or am I wasting my breath?”

This Scranton, PA-based quintet comes out strong in their debut release, capitalizing on the most influential styles of the rock scene as it stands today. Terror On The Screen is certain to take hold of its intended audience's attention with this release and future releases, whether it be on small stages or reputable festival line-ups.

Recommended If You Like Four Year Strong; The Wonder Years; Every Avenue; Hit The Lights; Fireworks

myspace.com/terroronthescreen
This review is a user submitted review from alienantidote. You can see all of alienantidote's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
08:17 PM on 06/15/10
Ravelle17
master of disaster
User Info.
EP's great, these guys are awesome dudes.

But the production...let's just say the Loudness War has a new benchmark to "admire"
11:03 PM on 06/15/10
get up kidd
I refuse to sink
User Info.
<3 great band
01:03 PM on 06/18/10
fanberlinboy
Having trouble inside my skin...
User Info.
Love this EP.
01:33 PM on 06/18/10
gjpinizz