Username
Password

Album Review - Page 2
Displaying posts 15 - 30 of 140.
09:21 AM on 06/14/10
Ari Christos
blowin on that endo
User Info.
Why the hell is Recovery being brought up? It's completely irrelevant to this review.

Anyways, I think this is the best debut out of the freshman class. The sparse, atmospheric beats really allow Drake to focus on his wordplay and flow easily. Only greater things are to come of this guy. Great review, Drew.
09:28 AM on 06/14/10
Fooey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
He never changes up his flow, he's so damn boring.
09:42 AM on 06/14/10
firewater
the ransom
User Info.
Didn't like this at first, but it grew on me alot in the past week. Drake will always put out feature songs, so people mad that there isn't a "Forever" on this album don't have to worry much. Like Drew pretty much said, it's a more laid-back "So Far Gone". Favorite tracks are "Up All Night", "Shut it Down", and "Unforgettable".

One thing I've noticed is that unlike BoB, Drake's guests aren't what "make" his songs enjoyable; they just truly sound like a collaboration but with Drake still at the forefront of the song.
09:43 AM on 06/14/10
sofaraway
We're so far away.
User Info.
I've been listening to Shut It Down...this sounds like some sort of journey into the imagination of an ethereal sex god.

Not saying Drake is that because he didn't make the beat. But the beat is undeniable on this song. And I can't stop listening to it.
09:46 AM on 06/14/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Shut It Down is my new sex jam.
That would require you getting some...... Zing zing zing!

But yeah I love this record
09:50 AM on 06/14/10
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
man, i think minaj kills it on her track. i think she fits perfectly and i look forward to her part. if there's one guest artist that kills the flow, it's young jeezy doing the chorus on unforgettable.

and Fancy is easily the worst song on the record, just terrible.
09:55 AM on 06/14/10
se7en-
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
album's a grower. been spining the new album for days now.
10:05 AM on 06/14/10
Fish Man Alex
User Info.
I love this record sooo much! I've been looking forward to it since his first one dropped. This album is impeccable in my opinion!
10:15 AM on 06/14/10
Shinobi1791
HAPPY HOLIDAYS, YOU BASTARDS!
User Info.
@arichristos I think Recovery is being brought up because it's a commercial rap album that has come out at the same time...

Good review, i'm betting it's better than a lot of Commenrcial Rap albums that have come out in recent years.
10:18 AM on 06/14/10
billyboatkid
The Protagonist of Loneliness
User Info.
Good review. Love this cd.

Fireworks is awesome
10:20 AM on 06/14/10
Echo Park
User Info.
no offense but i'm surprised you dropped Illmatic in there.
10:22 AM on 06/14/10
knash9
Registered Member
User Info.
"Up all Night" has to many bad memories for me to even listen to it
10:22 AM on 06/14/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Shut It Down is my new sex jam.
I really dont need to know those details. Lawdy.
10:25 AM on 06/14/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.
album is great. if you liked so far gone and claim to hate thank me later, you are a fucking liar.

most fluid and impressive debut from anyone in the freshman class from both years, with the exception of blu's below the heavens.
10:30 AM on 06/14/10
CS Lewis
I gave what I gave. . .
User Info.
Bleh. I still say the guy has nothing significant to say. It's not his fault, it's just what commercial hip hop has become. I just find it astounding that people enjoy commercial hip hop so much. I guess it's really easy for people from all backgrounds to relate to. I guess anyone with good punchlines and good producers can rap about fluff these days and people will give it high praise. "This aint for Z100. This is for Hot 97." - Jay-Z, D.O.A. I feel as if Drake is strictly for Z100. Though his stuff does get played on hip hop stations and not just "Today's Hit Music Stations", his lyrics are so poppy they make me want to puke.

But yes, I guess this hater is gonna hate. I just really despise how pop hip-hop has gotten. But I guess when you from singles like All Falls Down to singles like The Good Life, you're basically welcoming and encouraging this type of lyrical shalllowness.

That's my hater rant.

At least J. Cole is still holding it down.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums