AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Drake - Thank Me Later Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 9.25
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 4.25
Musicianship 3.13
Lyrics 2.88
Production 8
Creativity 0.5
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Average: 28%
Inside AP.net

Drake - Thank Me Later

Reviewed by: weworemasks (06/15/10)
Drake - Thank Me Later
Record Label: Young Money/Universal
Release Date: June 15, 2010

All things considered, Drake’s Thank Me Later is fast approaching a critical standpoint to that of a seasoned veteran. Sure, he started out on Degrassi and released a couple of average-at-best mixtapes, and yeah – the guy is almost too dorky to be a hip-hop’s current frontrunner. But after a few collaborations with Lil Wayne, he managed to strike critical gold with So Far Gone, a mixtape that completely flipped the music industry upside down. Millions of downloads and a sold-out mid-sized arena tour later, a half-Jewish actor from Canada has become the face of hip-hop in no time flat.

That brings us to Thank Me Later, which starts off with “Fireworks” and the line, “Money just changed everything/I wonder how life without it will go.” Pick that line apart and couple it with the album title – it’s almost too zealous. The man is rapping about his fifteen minutes of fame starting an hour ago on a debut album and isn’t even getting a second look. With So Far Gone, Drake found and capitalized on a seemingly perfect balance of hip-hop and R&B. He’s got enough soul and his fair share of punchlines to hold up both ends of the deal. Thank Me Later gracefully takes that formula and runs with it – a classic case of the old adage, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

On the surface, Thank Me Later has every facet of Drake you’ve heard up until this point. The bravado-fueled predicaments of fame (“The Resistance”), dance floor kick-offs (“Fancy”) and slow-burners that would shame even Usher (“Shut It Down”) – it’s all here. However, one thing is apparent – his lyrics aren’t as poignant as they once were. Gone are the bulk of self-aware musings of “Lust for Life” and “The Calm,” which are now replaced with cringe-worthy ‘Go Team!’ collaborations with Nicki Minaj (“Up All Night”) and cornball balladry (“Find Your Love”).

Overall, Thank Me Later is a smooth listen. There is an evident fluidity and consistency in the production which is a successful formula and aesthetic for Drake. The team behind So Far Gone took care of the majority of the production duties, with appropriate contributions from Swizz Beatz, Kanye West and Timbaland – all producers that pull a great deal of relevance in their own right. And more importantly, it’s no easy feat creating a 60-minute hip-hop record that can be listened to in its entirety nowadays.

Almost every feature on the record feels complimentary, negating debate as to “who stole the track,” with the exception of Jay-Z on “Light Up.” Jay takes an almost fatherly approach on the cut, sharing advice about the politics of the industry and precise readings of how fellow rappers will ‘come at’ Drake with petty diss tracks and instigate drama. The cameos from T.I. and Young Jeezy are stark contrasts to Drake’s overall motif, while the likes of Lil Wayne and The-Dream are right at home with the young emcee.

One thing is for sure, though. Drake is about to have a massive year. This album will further support the hype machine that he’s been building for the past year and confirm the suspicion of every naysayer all the same. He’s garnered the respect and support of far too many notable artists to slow down. “Freshman” peers of Drake are no longer in the same league. Through the milestones of So Far Gone and the inevitable success of Thank Me Later, it feels unnecessary to argue, as it’s a jump-start to a career that has a promise of longevity and importance.

Recommended If You LikeKanye West's 808s & Heartbreak, always being at a crossroads when it comes to fame, shakin' off haters, Lil Wayne

www.myspace.com/thisisdrake

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 24
11:09 AM on 06/18/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Amazing review. Amazing. And such a great album. Listening to the Don Cannon remix album of it right now. This will not get tired. I am listening on my iPod right now, and it is in my car. Just a great, great record. I just noticed you have written quite a few reviews. Going to check some out now.
11:28 AM on 06/18/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
Quote:
Recommended If You LikeKanye West's 808s & Heartbreak, always being at a crossroads when it comes to fame, shakin' off haters, Lil Wayne

Hahaha, truth spoken. Great review, Roshan.
12:22 PM on 06/18/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Amazing review. Amazing. And such a great album. Listening to the Don Cannon remix album of it right now. This will not get tired. I am listening on my iPod right now, and it is in my car. Just a great, great record. I just noticed you have written quite a few reviews. Going to check some out now.
Agreed. This might be even better than the staff review haha (that's not a knock to whoever wrote that by any means). And I agree with every word of it. Especially the bit about Jay's guest spot. Light Up is by far my favorite track off the album.
01:05 PM on 06/18/10
weworemasks
save the drama for wilmer valderama
User Info.

some of the old ones...haha. i wrote a lot of em when i was still in college working for the school paper. i've only written like 6 since i graduated in may 09.

Hahaha, truth spoken. Great review, Roshan.

what'd you think of the album?

Agreed. This might be even better than the staff review haha (that's not a knock to whoever wrote that by any means). And I agree with every word of it. Especially the bit about Jay's guest spot. Light Up is by far my favorite track off the album.

i like drew, but i'll fight him!!!!

01:19 PM on 06/18/10
WhoSaidThat?
twitter.com/TiredOfSeth
User Info.
some of the old ones...haha. i wrote a lot of em when i was still in college working for the school paper. i've only written like 6 since i graduated in may 09.

Well, it might be too early to tell, since I only spun it twice, but it was - for lack of a better description - basically what I expected. Just a consistent, chill record with some sweet verses that's a great listen almost all the way through. Picked it up a few days ago, along with Foxy Shazam and American Slang (with some sweet-ass postcards!)

Here's a confession, roughly a year ago, my thoughts (and a tweet of mine) were pretty much, "Hey, don't get me wrong, I'm sure Drake'll be huge, but he'll always be Jimmy to me." To make a short story shorter, I've got words to eat.

Semi-related: I think even Drew would say this review is as good as his. Favorite black-named reviewer right here, bitches and gentleman.
04:58 PM on 06/18/10
HometownHero
User Info.

Well they are really good man. Not as good as this Drake album but still good haha.
05:01 PM on 06/18/10
HometownHero
User Info.
I think it is better then Drew's but he still had a great one too. And my favorite track switches every day. One day i'll listen to Light Up over and over, then Resistance, now Show Me A Good Time etc. It's just extremely solid.
07:40 PM on 06/21/10
Imadethisjustto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i never heard of this hear fellow drake. ill continue in ignorance
01:15 AM on 06/22/10
weworemasks
User Info.
i never heard of this hear fellow drake. ill continue in ignorance
you've never heard of this english language either, huh?
08:39 PM on 06/22/10
abcdefghijk
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
it is horrible there really isnt much another way to describe
Good Songs: Over, Find Your Love, Up All Night
If you had those songs its a waste of money he sings and its all quite and soft music
08:34 AM on 06/26/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Solid review, definitely get an 808s & Heartbreak vibe throughout the record.
11:50 PM on 06/26/10
weworemasks
User Info.
it is horrible there really isnt much another way to describe
Good Songs: Over, Find Your Love, Up All Night
If you had those songs its a waste of money he sings and its all quite and soft music
you are an idiot.
12:54 AM on 06/28/10
Ross
User Info.
Where can I find this remix?
12:58 AM on 06/28/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music