AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Automatic Loveletter - Truth or Dare Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 7.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 79%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.63
Musicianship 8.63
Lyrics 9
Production 8.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.88
Average: 91%
Inside AP.net

Automatic Loveletter - Truth or Dare

Reviewed by: Broden Terry (06/17/10)
Automatic Loveletter - Truth Or Dare
Record Label: Sony
Release date: June 22, 2010

To become utterly captivated, enthralled and thoroughly immersed within the confines of music that has been successfully crafted with an abundance of honesty and intricate detail, where each and every single note and lyric has been saturated in simplistic sincerity is an indescribably uplifting experience. Rarely is a predominantly pop orientated record given adequate respect for all that it manages to achieve. Truth or Dare may not be attempting to push any significant boundaries; it may have never intended to redefine any genres, but that in itself is its biggest strength. It's entirely comfortable in knowing that it captures the unmistakable feeling of charming elegance while showcasing genuinely passionate, heartfelt emotion with what appears to be seamless ease. Metaphorically speaking, Truth or Dare is a mesmerizingly illuminating light that leaves the majority of its peers shivering uncontrollably in its overwhelmingly vast shadow.

"Heart Song" immediately opens proceedings effectively with an irresistibly confronting beat entwining with Juliet Simms' confident and equally powerful vocal delivery. Complete with finely constructed verses that progress rapidly into an infectiously catchy chorus, it's certainly worthy of the illustrious title of album opener. "Don't Let Me Down" is made to sound phenomenal as vocals crack and soar with raw passion over a gorgeously energetic wall of sound. The sheer array of momentum accumulated throughout its four minute duration is simply staggering, and it's sure to leave listeners unable to divert their attention away from the propelling hooks and harmonies etched within each elapsing second. "Fade Away" cascades with excruciatingly beautiful multi-layered vocals as Simms' confronts her insecurities with such lyrical candid honesty and emotion. The songs paints and showcases vivid imagery of inconceivable fears and such frenetic vulnerability as though those same insecurities are imminently swarming, seconds from completely engulfing the fragile mindset.

However, Automatic Loveletter are at their most sincere with the stunningly haunting "Hush", a gorgeous break-up ballad that grips and tugs forcefully at the heartstrings from the opening moments, only to escalate and culminate splendidly as a sense of desperate urgency threatens to overwhelm the listener, producing spine-tingling and breathtaking results. "To Die For" relies heavily upon the undeniable strength of its chorus, but unfortunately, the verses are left feeling slightly forgettable. Thankfully, "Let It Ride" rectifies any potential missteps that may have otherwise unwelcomingly intruded upon proceedings. It's a surprisingly complex track that further emphasizes the band's musical and lyrical profound prowess. Admittedly, the track does feel slightly overproduced and less cohesive when compared to the original version.

"Eyes On You", "My Goodbye" and "Back To Life" bring a close to the latter portion of the record in style with all three tracks featuring stirring vocals renditions. "Eyes On You" and "Back To Life" in particular are magnificently structured pop gems that accompany deeply personal autobiographical lyrics overflowing with heartbreaking susceptibility. It adds to the powerful effect listeners will be invited to experience as they partake in the inspiring personal journey that is Truth or Dare.

The much anticipated release of Truth or Dare may have been an exceptionally prolonged wait full of adversity, countless obstacles and enormous setbacks, but by the time this review is available for viewing it will have already been susceptible to the unforgiving environment that is illegal downloading. Automatic Loveletter battled tirelessly for even the slightest opportunity to create and release this music. They spent years displaying unconditional love, dedication, passion and commitment to what they believed in. Years of enduring the outpouring of emotions that made what is essentially Truth or Dare. They may not ask for anything in return, but why don't we, the fans, at the very least consider giving something back? After all, they've just given us one of the best debuts of the year.

Recommended If You LikeParamore, New Years Day, Female Fronted Pop/Rock

Track Listing01. Heart Song (4:13)
02. Donít Let Me Down (3:56)*
03. Fade Away (4:17)*
04. Hush (3:58)*
05. Story Of My Life (4:11)
06. Day They Saved Us (3:37)
07. To Die For (4:44)
08. Let It Ride (4:16)*
09. Eyes On You (4:25)
10. My Goodbye (3:38)
11. Butterflies (4:01)
12. Back To Life (4:11)*

* - Represents recommended tracks

Myspace
Purevolume
Preview/Buy the album at Amazon MP3[/color]

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
03:03 PM on 06/29/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Dreadful album. And I was looking forward to it. She should really name the band after herself, since that's obviously all she cares about.
12:43 AM on 06/30/10
Broden Terry
I'm glad I built myself an igloo
User Info.

I understand that many will completely disagree with the score and review. I'm prepared and I'll happily take the criticism, but I'm hoping that people won't just push Truth or Dare aside based upon an initial negative reaction.
09:46 PM on 07/01/10
shimmyshakes
Registered Member
User Info.
Wow, not a fan of this at all. What happened to them?

I'm going to keep playing Recover and send this to the recycling bin.
10:04 PM on 07/01/10
PengusNiugnep
@PenguinGengar
User Info.
I don't really think the score matches the review. The only negative thing I saw in the review was the thing about To Die For's verses, yet the score isn't even in the 80s.
Pretty well written, though. I personally love this album.
01:18 AM on 07/02/10
Broden Terry
User Info.
I don't really think the score matches the review. The only negative thing I saw in the review was the thing about To Die For's verses, yet the score isn't even in the 80s.
Pretty well written, though. I personally love this album.

The score doesn't appear when you initially write the review. It is an extremely positive review and I personally love the record. Hopefully the words convey how good this album is, better than the score suggests.
07:48 AM on 07/02/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Way too high, deserves around a 30 or 40. Juliet can do way better than this, as the Recover EP shows.
11:53 PM on 07/13/10
billcom6
AP Addict
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hate to say it, but this girl has a pretty horrible voice. It seems like in every verse her voice is crackin/squeaking, maybe thats the sound they were going for, I don't know, but it just sounds bad.
01:34 AM on 08/07/10
vivatoto56
EB was left out
User Info.
Beautiful album.

I'm glad someone else likes it.

Overall it seems a lot of people are negative about it.

Butterflies is by far my favorite track.
05:21 PM on 08/15/10
mper
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
you sound like you're trying to cram as many large words as possible into your review. i love automatic loveletter but this album was a major step down from their previous ep's and even their "unreleased" tracks.
11:07 PM on 08/16/10
Broden Terry
User Info.
you sound like you're trying to cram as many large words as possible into your review. i love automatic loveletter but this album was a major step down from their previous ep's and even their "unreleased" tracks.

It's kind of just how I write reviews
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News