Password

Album Review

Hot Hot Heat - Future Breeds Album Cover

Hot Hot Heat - Future Breeds

Reviewed by
Hot Hot Heat - Future Breeds
Record Label: Dangerbird
Release Date: June 8, 2010
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 25
08:42 PM on 06/17/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
This album seems very clattered to me. Almost like they're knocking you over the head with 51523523523 different instruments. And really for me it all just leads to one big migraine. My favorite songs are "20@12," and "Jedidiah," though that's probably no surprise. But then again, I'm very much a less-is-more kinda guy, so maybe this wasn't the album for me. That being said, Bays chases down some really heady lyrical territory and that in and of itself is worth boatloads of merit.
10:09 PM on 06/17/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
This album seems very clattered to me. Almost like they're knocking you over the head with 51523523523 different instruments. And really for me it all just leads to one big migraine. My favorite songs are "20@12," and "Jedidiah," though that's probably no surprise. But then again, I'm very much a less-is-more kinda guy, so maybe this wasn't the album for me. That being said, Bays chases down some really heady lyrical territory and that in and of itself is worth boatloads of merit.

That's enough instruments to make Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros' heads spin... I just have a very soft spot for the angularity of those early post-punk bands, and I think this channels that well, probably even better than Makeup the Breakdown did. I found it refreshing that they gave up trying to get soccer moms on board with their music and just let it all hang out.

There's definitely stuff that's abrasively off-putting to me, too. I listened to that Crystal Castles album that's getting all the buzz the other day, and I think my ears are still ringing. But the chaos that Hot Hot Heat bring here feels just right.
10:49 PM on 06/17/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
This one is gonna need to grow on me.
06:50 AM on 06/18/10
ThisIsNotDan
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I, for one, loved Elevator. it's a great pop record with a more refined sound from their first album. that's why it was really disappointing to see them come out with an album full of sad mopey crap and I sorta lost interest in them. that being said I dig this album. it's really catchy but it sounds like they took a shitload of drugs. "21 @ 12" and "Future Breeds" are such jams
06:52 AM on 06/18/10
PaperRival-Jake
User Info.
I love the gang of four rec that you gave. very true.
06:55 AM on 06/18/10
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
It has been almost 10 years of me trying to ignore the existence of HHH. Jeremy, you have convinced me to give them a shot.
06:56 AM on 06/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I, for one, loved Elevator. it's a great pop record with a more refined sound from their first album. that's why it was really disappointing to see them come out with an album full of sad mopey crap and I sorta lost interest in them. that being said I dig this album. it's really catchy but it sounds like they took a shitload of drugs. "21 @ 12" and "Future Breeds" are such jams
I agree. It sounds VERY drug-induced.
08:28 AM on 06/18/10
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
I've been waiting for a review to check this one out, and I have been convinced to give it a listen. Thank goodness they're back on an indie label.
09:07 AM on 06/18/10
Mattylikesfilms
If You Dig Up The Dead...
User Info.
I've been waiting for a review to check this one out, and I have been convinced to give it a listen. Thank goodness they're back on an indie label.

Its a really solid album. Give it a try for sure!
09:09 AM on 06/18/10
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
Its a good album, but the instruments I feel are so freaking loud it gets quite irritating.
09:12 AM on 06/18/10
geebee889
Registered Goober
User Info.
Its a really solid album. Give it a try for sure!
Sweet, will do!
09:55 AM on 06/18/10
Sherrice
http://twitter.com/sherrice
User Info.
Consider this purchased.
10:18 AM on 06/18/10
gspinn
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i can't help but think this has moments of sounding like DRMANHATTAN's Jam Dreams....
10:32 AM on 06/18/10
HometownHero
User Info.
This is quite good.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News