AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Money News - Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 66.
07:46 PM on 06/18/10
sooperdoodey
User Info.
It's incredibly hard for me to get to shows, as I have always lived in the most unfortunate areas that never have shows more than an hour or two away. For me getting to shows is an actual trip, especially considering I can't drive (don't ask why). I'm either always dependent on someone else, or having to plan a bus trip and an over night stay. It costs a shit ton just for me to get to one. I've only ever been to two, and sadly don't have the convenience or the funds to do that regularly. I have to set money aside and save and save little by little just from one show to the next. So nowadays, instead of buying tickets that go to waste after all my plans fall through, I just save my funds until a favorite band that I feel I just can not miss comes around.

Tl;dr, but I'm sure that, for a lot of people, this has a lot more to do with the raise in extra charges on tickets, especially in these conditions. EVERYTHING is getting more and more expensive.
An hour!

I'm ashamed to have an American passport... I live in Australia, the land of everything costing literally double everything in America. Gas, clothes, music, everything. I lived in the middle of Australia and paid nearly $2 a litre for gas. That's approaching $7.57 a gallon. I think the highest it got was about $1.80, but it'll get to $2 within the next couple years.

That's not the thing though. I was working last year, and if you think bands don't come to where you live, the nearest place touring bands would come for me was Adelaide {where I live now}. Which is a 2 and a half hour plane ride. It works out more expensive to drive unless you have someone to split the cost with.

I managed to get to a solid... maybe... 6 shows last year. Flying to other cities to see bands I love. Cost doesn't matter. If I love a band I will do anything do see them. My record was TWO days in Adelaide, airfare and everything in total was $500 to see NOFX and Bad Religion. An average American punk band will charge at least $40 for tickets, the going rate for an interstate band is $20, a local band is usually about $10. Festivals are never less than $110.

GET THE FUCK OUT OF YOUR SHITTY TOWNS AND GO SEE BANDS, FUCK MONEY, YOU DON'T NEED IT ANYWAY.

{But seriously, I know it's alot of money, and it would've been more responsible or whatever to save it, but fuck me, it was the most fun I've ever had in a year and probably will ever have and was worth every god damn dollar.}
07:48 PM on 06/18/10
TSTLSOOM
Hayley > Hayley
User Info.
Tell that to Coachella, I've never seen more people in my life
thats because people snuck in to it too
08:04 PM on 06/18/10
AMackChuck
I am...Bakerguy
User Info.
I would go to more if they ever came around here. Thanks, Maine and thanks for not being 21 (no all ages venues Anywhere in this god forsaken state)
08:30 PM on 06/18/10
hiya
User Info.
I think big concert sales are down because of obnoxious prices and fees, but for shows of smaller scale I think people are buying tickets more and more. Personally, I have bought more concert tickets this year than I ever had before.
08:42 PM on 06/18/10
mlg_12345
User Info.
yeahhh ticket fees are incredibly ridiculous

and also, i feel like ticket sales for livenation are at an all time low because their shows this summer are absolutely terrible. the concerts held at all of the live nation venues this summer (Jack Johnson, KISS, etc.) are bad. i would not pay to go see any of that crap! Last year I went to a good amount of their ampitheater shows (No Doubt, Coldplay, and Blink182)

This summer I am going to the most concerts ever, none of which are sponsored by live nation and i avoid ticketmaster whenever possible. :)
08:50 PM on 06/18/10
lauren1234
Registered Member
User Info.
The one person I can think of that is doing ridiculously well right now when it comes to selling out shows is Lady Gaga. Even with high ticket prices like she has, most of her shows, if not all, this summer are sold out.
09:00 PM on 06/18/10
pulsar
User Info.
As an independent promoter, I can tell you that from fall of 2008, promoting shows has gone from being difficult to being next to impossible. The fact is that the draw of most national acts has gone down, partially due to the economy and a lot of times from oversaturation. At the same time, agents are demanding the same amount of money (and in some cases more). The numbers don't add up, and its causing a lot of venues to close and a lot of promoters to go out of business.

And at the end of the day, it doesn't help the bands at all. You might be able to bully someone into overpaying a band once or twice, but eventually they won't be able to do it. And when you've used up every promoter in the market this way, you will have nowhere to turn.

This is why most venues (including established venues) are resorting to making bands pre-sell tickets and/or not doing guarantees at all. LiveNation and Clear Channel are ruining the music business for everyone. In 5 years bands not only won't be able to get anyone to buy their records; they won't be able to get anyone to book their band's tour dates.
09:05 PM on 06/18/10
Thug_Nasty
www.GridPins.com
User Info.
probably because of the "service" charges that end up being about 25% of the cost of the ticket
09:40 PM on 06/18/10
ohitsmark
www.markvphotos.com
User Info.
It's not fun paying almost 33% more of what the cost of a ticket is.
10:06 PM on 06/18/10
ajaggedpulse
m
User Info.
i go to a few shows a month. the fees suck but i still pay them.
10:07 PM on 06/18/10
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Man I guess the absence of service charges in June for LiveNation isn't helping out.
10:10 PM on 06/18/10
cscwell107
You Will Always Have My Attention
User Info.
Ive been to a shit ton of shows this year so its definitely not me
10:25 PM on 06/18/10
emmx8D
Thanks Daaaaaaaaaan
User Info.
I can't even afford Warped this year, but that includes the drive up to the city and what not + food and water.. so I'm basically going to 2-3 shows this summer. Service fees usually get me the most.
11:16 PM on 06/18/10
CorySpotts
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Hmm, I thought music piracy was supposed to lead to higher live show revenues?

So much for that bullcrap defense.
02:19 AM on 06/19/10
mark29
User Info.
It would be interesting to see which artists are down in sales and which are up cos I'm pretty sure all the bands we love here will be in the up category.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests