AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview

The Sugi Tap - 10.03.06

Interviewed by
The Sugi Tap - 10.03.06State your name/s and duty in The Sugi Tap.

Max: Vocals, Rhythm Gtr
Tony: Everything else

There's probably quite a few people out there who are wondering, who is The Sugi Tap? Can you give us a background of your musical career/s?

We used to be two thirds of a band called Eve 6. Although we all had a nice, satisfying "run" in that band, we decided two years ago that it was time to move on to different projects. Jon, the third member of Eve 6, started the band Monsters Are Waiting. Max wrote new tunes and jammed them
acoustically under the Brotherhood of Lost Dogs moniker, and I produced records for LA area bands such as Malbec and Roughed-Up Folk (R.I.P.). Max and I were talking one day and he said that he was looking for some musical direction for some of his new ideas. I told him what I thought, and we
decided to work on it a little. We liked where the sound was going, so we decided to let it keep going there. So now it's a full-fledged thing that requires care, love, and attention, and we're willing to give it all of those things and then some. Just this summer we started the myspace page and began to play out. We're auditioning players for the band right now.

Where did the name originate from?

From the japanese cult movie/novel Battle Royale. Go check it out, it'll shock and amaze.

Will the sound that you go for, be similar to the three demos on myspace? For those who haven't heard the music, describe the style of your music.

The demos certainly present the vibe we're going for. The more we play live shows the more it will solidify, but the building blocks are there. I'd say the sound owes a lot to British rock bands of the last twenty years. It's a vibe that we've always really liked, but didn't really let shine during the
Eve 6 years. The usual culprits: Oasis, Depeche, Smiths, Catherine Wheel, the Verve. Some newer groups like the Decemberists, the Strokes, Kasabian. And who doesn't love the pop genius of "Since U Been Gone"? But we love all music: check our influences list on the Myspace page.

Have you played many live shows? If so, how have they gone?

As the Sugi Tap, only a handful. All in all they've gone great. Each one is a learning experience. The first couple we're just the two of us, and now we're starting to bring other folks in. We've kind of done this whole thing a bit backwards: As opposed to playing shows right away, we spent the effort on songwriting and recording and experimenting in the studio. So now we're trying to figure how to make it happen live.

What has been the response so far to The Sugi Tap?

We're happy to report that it's been of the thumbs-up variety all-around. This makes us pleased. Take a listen and see for yourself.

This question is for Max, will there be any other recordings of Max Collins and the Brotherhood of Lost Dogs?

Probably no more recordings, but some of the songs from that time have been updated and brought into our repertoire.

Where does the bands lyrical inspiration come from? Some of Max's past metaphors have been mind blowing.

According to Max: "Friends, strangers, books, circumstances I'm going through at the time. Pretty much real life. I think a sense of sympathy and optimism runs through the songs."

Also, regarding lyrics, will The Sugi Tap's lyrics be clever and creative, as with Eve 6, or will you be heading in a new direction?

I think cleverness and creativity are hallmarks of a Max Collins lyric, so there's plenty more of those qualities in the new stuff.

Of course, a questions on all of our minds, will Eve 6 ever make music together again?

I honestly can't say. If we do it won't be for a while. We're all very
invested in our current projects.

Do you have any parting words for the readers of absolutepunk.net?

Eat your veggies. Always keep your eyes open to new experiences and ways of life. Love your pet. And check out the Sugi Tap at www.myspace.com/thesugitap!!!!

Displaying posts 1 - 9 of 9
01:18 PM on 10/03/06
thisisadisaster
RICK FROM ALABAMA
User Info.
thanks for the interview. i really wanted to hear from these guys.
01:47 PM on 10/03/06
invincibleXL
sick hearts
User Info.
whoa i didn't know they were getting interviewed! I LOVE Max and Eve 6, and the new stuff rocks. I can't wait to get an actual cd in my hands
03:01 PM on 10/03/06
sell the sunris
..is Batman
User Info.
awesome to hear from these guys! it makes me really happy to see this site covering The Sugi Tap. great job caleb.
03:37 PM on 10/03/06
motionwm
User Info.
Also, regarding lyrics, will The Sugi Tap's lyrics be clever and creative, as with Eve 6, or will you be heading in a new direction?

Thanks for asking my question!
06:47 AM on 10/04/06
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
this max is better than the other max that is talked about on this site...better lyrics too.
10:13 PM on 10/08/06
CircaEnder
act appalled
User Info.
i love these guys...grew up to eve 6
07:36 AM on 10/14/06
Eve6MediaHQ
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great interview guys!
04:26 PM on 11/11/06
nick2slick
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Just wanted to suggest updating the link, which is now www.myspace.com/sugitap .

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos