Username
Password

Album Review
Settler - War Wolves Album Cover

Settler - War Wolves

Reviewed by
Settler - War Wolves
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: Available NOW for free download.
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
When I come by a solely instrumental band, the group can hit me one of two ways. Sometimes I'll start listening to their stuff and I'll be digging it for a little while, but after about five minutes I turn it off and go listen to something more exciting. I just don't have the attention span for some instrumental music out there, even though I can recognize the talent of the musicians. However, other times the group will completely just hit the spot, and I'll be able to listen to them over and over again. There's never an in-between for me either, I can't really explain it. When I checked out Settler on their Myspace, I immediately knew they were going to fall into the latter category. A four-piece family band from Massachusetts, Settler is comprised of two brothers (Thomas & Curtis Emery) and two cousins (Matt & Jimmy Mullin). On their second EP, the four have an undeniable chemistry together as they plow through six tracks of punk-laced indie rock.

"Peace Tigers" opens the EP with quite a bit of noise, then explodes into Settler's go-to sound: heavy cymbals, wild guitars, and pulsing bass. The band's delivery is urgent, as if they wrote the EP to sound like they were in a rush to get somewhere. The result is some really passionate music that is easy for the listener to become immersed in. "War Wolves", the title track, is based around a catchy little guitar hook that Settler expand into a jam-worthy, furiously paced song. There's definitely a lot of music going on for an unsigned four-piece who probably recorded this in a low-budget studio.

All of this music, packed into such a high tempo, makes the listener feel as though they've been listening for quite a while, but the song chimes in under three minutes, and the EP as a whole comes in at only 16 and a half minutes. But it's 16 minutes of complete enjoyment, as Settler continue their onslaught with "Spare Rooms". This track shows a bit of range as Settler slow things down and pick them up again. Just when the EP seems like it might get repetitive, you hit "*", a relaxing number paced by electronic drums. It contains the only vocal melodies on the record, a continuous "ahh" in the background which adds ambiance. "Growing Up" shows the family's technical skill with dual tapping guitars made complete by the raging percussion. It sets up for the highlight of the EP, closer "Oxbow Bridge". This song isn't much different from the five preceding it, but it takes a little part from every song to form a winding five-and-a-half minute epic. The guitar work is there, along with the tempo changes, the break-my-own-drumsticks cymbals, and the punk lining to top it all off, a great closer for the EP.

Settler seem like the kind of band that just write music because they feel like it. With only four scheduled shows in the northeast over the next two months, it adds to the charm of being a family band that they put out this EP with genuine hard work. Their DIY style, energetic outlook, rocking tunes, and supposedly "raucous" live show put Settler near the top of my unsigned bands to check out this year.

Recommended If You Likefamily, doing it yourself, indie rock, instruments
Bare Essentials1. Peace Tigers
2. War Wolves
3. Spare Rooms
4. *
5. Growing Up
6. Oxbow Bridge
Myspace
Download

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
09:06 AM on 06/24/10
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
hot damn this is good!
10:31 AM on 06/24/10
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
thanks again, thomas! Also, thanks to anyone who checks this out. let us know what you think!

We'll have more dates in the coming weeks, some further down than New England, so keep a look out for them.
10:42 AM on 06/24/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
thanks again, thomas! Also, thanks to anyone who checks this out. let us know what you think!

We'll have more dates in the coming weeks, some further down than New England, so keep a look out for them.
No problem dude. I didn't mean for the dates to be a call out or anything by the way, haha.
10:45 AM on 06/24/10
mymusicismylife
Disgruntled wheat thins enthusiast
User Info.
I downloaded this and never got around to listening to it. I'll have to sit down with it today.
11:02 AM on 06/24/10
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
No problem dude. I didn't mean for the dates to be a call out or anything by the way, haha.
Nooo i know hahaha, it's scarce right now, we're just trying to get stuff booked. But no worries!
02:50 PM on 06/24/10
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.
Someone give this guy a blue name 'cause his band is purrrdy goooooo
03:44 PM on 06/24/10
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
Someone give this guy a blue name 'cause his band is purrrdy goooooo
thanks for checking us out dude. Much appreciated.

Blue name would be epiiiic.
04:06 PM on 06/24/10
saving jonathan
everything in transit
User Info.

Ask for one I'm sure they'd oblige.
04:56 PM on 06/24/10
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.

gotcha covered
06:44 PM on 06/24/10
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
Blake hooked it up! Thanks dude haha.
09:18 PM on 06/24/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Blake hooked it up! Thanks dude haha.
Woo blue name! I hear the ladies love the blue names.
11:15 AM on 06/26/10
Sunken In
All I think about is floating away
User Info.
Am I the only one who's noticed that this album's score is horrible because of a few N/A scores??? Is this a glitch of some kind?? There's a couple other reviews floating around with 50-60% scores because of this.
03:37 PM on 06/26/10
onetwentyseven
Settler / Jimmy
User Info.
Am I the only one who's noticed that this album's score is horrible because of a few N/A scores??? Is this a glitch of some kind?? There's a couple other reviews floating around with 50-60% scores because of this.
I noticed that too. It seems to show up as an 82% here, but when you search for it, it shows up as 55%. Must be a glitch of some kind.
03:33 PM on 06/29/10
FOTW
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
whatever this is

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT