AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Children 18:3 - Rain's 'a Comin' Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.25
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Final Verdict: 83%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.8
Musicianship 9.1
Lyrics 8.45
Production 8.6
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 8.6
Reviewer Tilt 8.7
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Children 18:3 - Rain's 'a Comin'

Reviewed by: Ryan Gardner (06/26/10)
Children 18:3Rain’s ‘a Comin’
Record Label: Tooth & Nail
Release Date: June 29, 2010

“...We want to be instruments of a new wave of transformation that will sweep the land. We aren’t just playing songs. We see something greater on the horizon and we want to be a part of it.”

Vocalist David Hostetter’s words could not be more accurate upon describing Children 18:3’s sophomore record, Rain’s ‘a Comin’. Named after the Bible verse Matthew 18:3, the siblings of Children 18:3 have come along way since their 2008 self-titled Tooth & Nail debut. Now two years later, they’re back and filled with more fervor and zeal than ever. Paced with pure emotion and the aspiration to demonstrate C18:3’s vision, Rain’s ‘a Comin’ encompasses rapid, raucous guitars with David’s energetic vocals to create Children’s signature rock ‘n roll sound similar to that of their debut.

With the first four tracks of the record all around just two minutes in time, it’s clear that Rain’s ‘a Comin’ is going to be a high-speed, vivacious ride. With the title “Rain’s ‘a Comin’,” it’s no wonder why the title track and opener kicks off like a fast-paced western chase to begin the ride, never slowing down for an instant. Single “Cover Your Eyes” is simply infectious, demonstrating the skill of David Hostetter on guitar as well as vocals, showing his versatility. With sister Lee Marie also singing on “Cover,” more depth is added to the track, as both vocalists play off each other's talents exceptionally well. Hostetter also weaves intricate whims of poetic lyrics throughout the single, including the superb line: “The trees have all begun the dance/elated by a second chance/but when a windmill blows it's not hooked up to anything except the breeze.” Another quick track, “The Cruel One” is the fastest rush thus far, where David again drives Children 18:3 with his vocal strength. Featuring some of the best guitar play on the record, C18:3 have created a fantastic track that clocks in at only just under three minutes.

“Oh Bravo” changes Rain’s ‘a Comin’’s overall structure, with Lee Marie taking over the wheel instead of David for a change on this whirl of a ride, signifying her magnificent vocal capabilities; “Oh Honestly!” proves a paradox to “Bravo,” as it hits the brakes for the first time on Rain. David Hostetter’s vocals sound better than ever on this softer, acoustic track, with Lee Marie’s “oh-oh-ohs” adding the perfect touch to the cheerful track. “Honestly!” is as catchy as it gets on Rain’s ‘a Comin’, sounding like an older, upbeat acoustic rock song. “Wonder I” contemplates faith (“Wonder, wonder I/If I stood on your shoulders, could I touch the sky?”) while featuring some of the best call and return vocals between siblings heard on the record; turning the tables, “Stronger,” a track full of angst, is easily the most intense track on the record, with David’s angered vocals over his heavy guitar and drummer Seth’s pounding drumming.

A track ideal throughout summer for blasting through speakers out on the beach, “Jack ‘o’ Lantern Dreams” is the poppiest track on the record. Similar to on “Cover Your Eyes,” David incorporates some of his best lyrics on “Jack ‘o’ Lantern” explaining: “Only if you can remember the ending, can we then work back toward the start.” Closer “The Last Laugh” features Lee Marie’s unique piano play that sounds as if it would fit just fine in a ‘60s diner; however, with no vocals or any other instrumentation included in the final track, “The Last Laugh” leaves Rain’s ‘a Comin’ almost incomplete. In this way, the track is nothing special and sounds unlike anything else on the entire record; while at times diversity can be an advantage, here it proves a hindrance to Children 18:3, for “The Last Laugh” just does not end Rain on a fitting note, resulting in the listener feeling rather displeased with the overall record. Despite this, Children 18:3 have used their sophomore record to prove themselves unlike any other band on Tooth & Nail Records, for although they’ve toured with heavy bands such as Norma Jean, Oh, Sleeper, and Haste the Day, Children 18:3 sound completely different than any bands on the label, sticking true to their own rock ‘n roll sound. With Rain’s ‘a Comin’, Children have indeed shown exactly what they envision on the horizon, using their unique sound to accomplish just this.

Recommended If You LikeChristian Rock ‘n Roll Music; Children 18:3’s self-titled record; other Tooth & Nail releases

Listen ToCover Your Eyes; Oh Bravo, Oh Honestly!; Wonder I

Additional Information
Track Listing:
1. Rain's A Comin'
2. Cover Your Eyes
3. The Cruel One
4. Whispering
5. Hey Driftwood (Tides)
6. Oh Bravo
7. Oh Honestly!
8. Wonder I
9. Stronger
10. Jack ‘o’ Lantern Dreams
11. Lost So Long
12. The Last Laugh

Children 18:3 are:
David Hostetter – Vocals, Guitar
Lee Marie Hostetter – Backing Vocals, Bass, Piano
Seth Hostetter – Drums

myspace.com/children183

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
06:39 AM on 07/02/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Album rules. I liked it a lot better than the first. Would've rated it higher though.

I'm a bit suprised because you liked the lyrics a lot but gave it a 7. Text not consistent with scores aside, good review.
08:02 AM on 07/02/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Album rules. I liked it a lot better than the first. Would've rated it higher though.

I'm a bit suprised because you liked the lyrics a lot but gave it a 7. Text not consistent with scores aside, good review.
Yeah, my original scores were erased somehow; I'm going back in and making changes now.
10:04 AM on 07/02/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Looking forward to letting this one grow on me.
09:07 PM on 07/02/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
Looking forward to let this to grow on me.
I'm sure it will; it's a pretty awesome record
11:03 PM on 07/03/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
It's currently a 9 for me. I'm loving it so much. Band is so underrated.
09:29 PM on 07/04/10
thepianominstre
@joshuahedlund
User Info.
Don't know if this album can live up to the incredible debut for me. Plus it's pretty short for a two-and-a-half year wait (33 minutes; only 9 real full songs). But it will grow on me and I already really like several songs.

Take up any chance to see them live, too... awesome stage energy and all-around fun time.
07:58 AM on 07/06/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Cruel One chorus cracked me up.
08:02 AM on 07/06/10
Ryan Gardner
User Info.
It's currently a 9 for me. I'm loving it so much. Band is so underrated.
I know, it's awesome
06:46 AM on 07/07/10
sambo_baggins
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yeah I'd give it a 9-ish too. It's one of my favorites in a while, and definitely my favorite of this year. And better than their first!

I love everything abt this record, the vocals, the lyrics, the music behind it all (LeeMarie's bass is SICK), and the message behind it too. Great job guys, 'tis great!
11:21 AM on 07/09/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
I just couldn't get in to this album. It's too generic for my taste.
12:20 AM on 07/28/11
rrrayyyleee
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
awesome record.
also, why is it that the word "punk" isn't in this review even once?
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums