AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
These Arms Are Snakes - Easter Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 93%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.42
Musicianship 9.83
Lyrics 9.5
Production 9.58
Creativity 9.92
Lasting Value 9.58
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Average: 97%
Inside AP.net

These Arms Are Snakes - Easter

Reviewed by: Pat Marquez (10/06/06)
As we grow up, we evolve and we adapt to new situations. This has been explained many times and can be applied to virtually anything. I am not one of those people that is exasperated when a band tries to do something new, or switch up their sound. We, as human beings, are always shifting a lot ourselves, and nothing is ever that constant. Despite what you want to believe, band members are humans, as well. Don't believe the fan-girls when they tell you they are God's. Bands break up, but sometimes the members move on and start new projects. Some of my favorite bands have disbanded, but have moved on to form even more impressive projects. Take this exceedingly relative equation for example:

Botch = Minus The Bear / These Arms Are Snakes.

I am sure you could find quite a few other instances, as well. These Arms Are Snakes return with their beautiful and stunning release, Easter. I remember the first song I heard from them, "The Blue Rose." The track was released on their 2003 album This Is Meant To Hurt You. I was instantly taken in and let my head absorb the music. Snere's vocals are stellar, and his voice is simply beautiful. Have you heard the previous two albums? Are you worried that Easter won't live up to my hype? After listening to this album, it's evident that this is by far their best release to date.

This is a band that completely refuses to be pigeonholed into one genre. These Arms Are Snakes are unconventional and their sound mutates and becomes stronger with each album they release. Easter is no exception. The album opens up with the emotionally fueled track "Mescaline Eyes." It is clear the band have been doing a lot of experimenting with their music because the song is something you may not expect. The guitar work is scattered and raucous in sound. The lyrics are presumptuous. The percussion is the perfect compliment. In the simplest way put, this song is an astonishing work of art. The third track off of the album, "Dubtle Body", is the portrait for emotions. Frederiksen's guitar is overwhelming and authoritative. He takes full control of this track and completes this song for me. The appropriately titled song, "Ghost Desert", is an eerie track that is made up of static and subtle keyboarding, and though there is no use of Snere's words, it is appealing, nonetheless.

As if the band decided to take a one hundred and eighty degree turn in their music, "Perpetual Bris" comes through the speakers with a mellow, dramatic entrance. Everything seems to have slowed down and they make a strong focus on Snere's exquisite vocals. The lyrics have a lot of biblical references that make the song even more poignant. The track opens with "You were born from sin, and if that ain't a curse, then I don't know what is." As far as lyrical content goes for the previous songs, these lyrics are the most shocking. In keeping with tradition of the change, "Coporeal" is just as slow and emotional as it's predecessor. The song exits with the prevailing theme of this album, the extremely superb guitar work of Mr. Frederiksen.

These Arms Are Snakes have succeeded in creating an album that will be definitive in the years to come. It is clear to see that this release is going to be sticking around for a while. I can guarantee that up and coming bands will be referring to this for influence and motivation to make music in the future. This is a band that is notorious for talking shit on what the mainstream is trying shove in your face. This is music that pushed the envelope, and this is a band that has made a promise to always change their sound. You will not find yourself bored with them. These Arms Are Snakes will have you attached after seconds of listening to this album.

Similar BandsMinus The Bear, Botch, The Blood Brothers, Kill Sadie

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 41
03:00 PM on 10/06/06
reav
honestly, it was nothing.
User Info.
First of all, the operator "/" makes that equation complete bullshit, second of all, it's Gods, not God's.

Other than that, this album sllllaaaaays.
And yes, nice review, too, sans the few mistakes.
03:00 PM on 10/06/06
sealed
has better taste than you
User Info.
oxeeners is way better than this album
03:03 PM on 10/06/06
IcedOpethBlind
105 OVR, 99 PMV, 98 BSHD, 97 TCKL
User Info.
oxeeners is way better than this album

oxeneers is near impossible to top imo.
03:06 PM on 10/06/06
SLADE775
Still the greatest
User Info.
Wow...I'm very impressed with your review Pat. Though we;ve had our differences in the past I can honestly come out and tell you that this review is one of the best I've read in some time.
I really enjoyed the first paragraph and the way you explained your angle.

Previously, I didn't really have much desire to look into this album but I think I'll give it another shot now....keep up the good work.
03:17 PM on 10/06/06
crzydrmmer
my name is adam, indeed
User Info.
i'll definatly hafta check this out after the review... i have oxeneers... and it's a fantastic record, so i'm excited to hear this one
03:30 PM on 10/06/06
Adeniz19
whikawhikawhaaat
User Info.
hmmm.... i'll have to give this another listen
04:10 PM on 10/06/06
Speyside
We Still Care
User Info.
I'm definitely pumped for this.
04:16 PM on 10/06/06
fromwithin
Registered Member
User Info.
this album is incredible. absolutely gorgeous.
04:51 PM on 10/06/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
extremely well-written review. you have been busy lately mr. marquez and i have been more and more impressed by your writing. keep up the great work, also this album is pretty dang good. I need to listen to it more.
05:43 PM on 10/06/06
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Wow, Pat, great review. You're getting into the ranks of the elite reviewers here. I like your writing skills.

It's not really my style of music exactly, but I may give some of it another listen to see what happens.
06:27 PM on 10/06/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
great great great great album
07:24 PM on 10/06/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Awesome cd.
09:16 PM on 10/06/06
intoyourarms
here i am
User Info.
oh yeah you forgot to mention this is quite possibly one of the best live bands around right now too. go see this band live. you don't even have to like their music to be inspired by their performance.
10:18 PM on 10/06/06
saysmydoctor
Resident New Yorker
User Info.
This review made me giggle. It was funny and well written. I like this band.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums