Password

Album Review

Let Me Run - Broken Strings Album Cover

Let Me Run - Broken Strings

Reviewed by
Let Me Run - Broken Strings (EP)
Release Date: June 15, 2010
Record Label: Paper+Plastick
Is it possible we already have a new reincarnation of Van Halen or Further Seems Forever in Let Me Run? The New Jersey band now have two records under their belt (one full-length and one EP), as well as two vocalists. Like a quarterback with one mediocre season under his belt, it's not entirely easy to judge a band on a one-off performance from their vocalist - with each new output comes progression. So while the first play might result in a turnover, play number two might see a 40-yeard pass - and hey, if Rex Grossman can nab a Super Bowl visit, there's hope for every halfway decent guy with an arm. Or, in this case, voice.

The centerpiece to any band is oftentimes found in the lead singer, and it's no different with Let Me Run. Disappointed with the lukewarm response and oversaturated production of their 2009 debut, Meet Me At the Bottom, the band found a new singer in Dan Maxwell, who doesn't necessarily fit the band's style. At times, the band seems rather confused as to what they want to present: Midwestern pop-punk with some raw production behind it ("Scared As Shit") or aggressive indie-alt-rock ("Thank You My Dear"). Maxwell is like Mark Rose singing Larry Arms karaoke, which doesn't seem bad in hindsight, but causes a fit of malfunction in getting a message across as to who Let Me Run wants to be. Now that Maxwell is out of the band (or at least not touring with them nor listed as a member on myspace), it begs the question: what's next? Do the rest of the members have an idea that's merely getting lost in translation through throat-to-microphone?

"Brocomotive" has a palpable sound of its own, as does "Corey's Song," a ticking rampage full of vigor. What bogs Broken Strings down is the middle, which resembles a quarterback misreading plays from the sideline and calling the shots. Mass confusion erupts off the line and before you know, routes aren't being ran correctly and crucial blocks are missed. It's an ugly scene that needs some serious feedback from the booth, and with their futures up in the air, one has to hope that Let Me Run finally gets the fresh start they had hoped to receive through Maxwell, but were unable to find. Hey, the kid's got some pipes - it just doesn't quite match up with the sound the rest of the band is going for.

The good part about Broken Strings is that they are repairable, as long as the right glue and the right arm - er, voice - are there to back them up.

Recommended if You LikeAM Taxi; The Gaslight Anthem; Against Me!; The Bouncing Souls; The Loved Ones
Choice Cuts"Brocomotive," "Scared As Shit" and "Corey's Song"

Online VitalsOfficial Myspace | Official Twitter
PurchaseP+P Store
This review is a user submitted review from Chris Fallon. You can see all of Chris Fallon's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 21
04:47 AM on 07/02/10
Paulb-182
opentofire.bandcamp.com
User Info.
I don't have a clue what all the comparisons to American Football mean, but I enjoyed the review. haha

I like their first album actually, not sure whether to bother with this though.
06:37 AM on 07/02/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
We just started the preorders for the old singers new band Baquets new record:
http://www.coffeebreathandheartache.com/
You can also check out a song here:
http://beartrappr.com/press/Banquets...20Gard en.mp3

Screenprinted, limited, vinyl!
07:58 AM on 07/02/10
Modern Leper
what?
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Lyrics are so bad I can't listen to it.
08:25 AM on 07/02/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
This is a pretty decent E.P. This record has a bit more straight "pop-punk" than I was anticipating, but I think some of that may stem from the new/old vocalist...

I pick up a smidge of Matt Pryor in his vocal delivery. Anyone else get that, or am I insane?
09:34 AM on 07/02/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
That's what I said from hearing the first demos of this cd, in regards to the Pryor comparison.

The more punky sound came from the other members writing more, not the singer. They have a lot coming up in the next months/year, and this EP is a great step forward from Meet Me At The Bottom and the stepping stone to where the new (and rockin) material is headed.

Well, I would hope the other dudes were writing more. Considering that they're on their third singer. Haha. Curious as to what the new dude will be sounding like.

I dug Meet Me At The Bottom, but I'm also diggin' the new E.P. If they can step it up just a bit in terms of diversity on a full-length? I'd be pretty stoked on it, I think.
09:49 AM on 07/02/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
I can pretty much assure you that the next full length will see some more diversity. Faster songs, moodier songs, heavier songs, lighter songs, shit's getting serious.

Definitely looking forward to hearing it!
11:30 AM on 07/02/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
I really loved Meet Me At The Bottom and I like this, too, think the rating for this is way too low considering other reviews on here, really looking forward to the full length!
12:22 PM on 07/02/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
I really loved Meet Me At The Bottom and I like this, too, think the rating for this is way too low considering other reviews on here, really looking forward to the full length!
Try not to compare it to other reviews that bear little resemblance - I tend to score within my own personal tastes and depending on what genre it falls into.
01:34 PM on 07/02/10
hello299
User Info.
The RIYL grabs my attention, minus the relatively low score. I might have to check this out.
02:09 PM on 07/02/10
jackknife720
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This site yet again continues to amaze me with childish reviews from morons who need to revisit high school english class. The band in question aside, this review is more of an exercise in verbal masturbation than actually talking about the music. In Chris Fallon's profile he claims that bands shouldn't "try to use him to get into the music industry" (not verbatim, but something of that sort). Wow, judging by your rich and varied vocabulary and deep understanding of music I can imagine there is a train of bands just trying to ride off your coattails.

Idiots like this remind me why this site is clownshoes. Stick to punknews.org, kiddos.
02:29 PM on 07/02/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
This site yet again continues to amaze me with childish reviews from morons who need to revisit high school english class. The band in question aside, this review is more of an exercise in verbal masturbation than actually talking about the music. In Chris Fallon's profile he claims that bands shouldn't "try to use him to get into the music industry" (not verbatim, but something of that sort). Wow, judging by your rich and varied vocabulary and deep understanding of music I can imagine there is a train of bands just trying to ride off your coattails.

Idiots like this remind me why this site is clownshoes. Stick to punknews.org, kiddos.
Not really sure what warrants this. Don't really understand the complaint either. Guess you can't win 'em all, but whatever. You keep on hangin' with them bitter words, buddy.

edit: Wait, you're 30?! Really dude? C'mon now.
02:36 PM on 07/02/10
jackknife720
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Oh wow, I'm 3 years older than you! Except I actually have a real profession.
02:40 PM on 07/02/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
Try not to compare it to other reviews that bear little resemblance - I tend to score within my own personal tastes and depending on what genre it falls into.
Alright, will think about that in the future ...
02:43 PM on 07/02/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Oh wow, I'm 3 years older than you! Except I actually have a real profession.
What's that? A guy who comes on websites and rips people apart without any merit? I'm not even entirely sure what I wrote to warrant that rant from you haha. You're now not only insulting me, but insulting anyone who writes for a music website - since we're all not in a real profession according to you.

Just because I work here part-time doesn't make this my career -- I think you need to use a little logic if you're going to choose to rip on me. I mean, seriously man.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos