AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Me Verse You - Another Enemy Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 6
Production 8.5
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 70%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Me Verse You - Another Enemy

Reviewed by: DryEarth (07/02/10)
Me Verse You - Another Enemy
Release Date: April 27, 2009
Record Label: Self-Released

With their debut release Another Enemy, St. Louis rockers Me Verse You have offered forth a slickly produced ten song album, which, while not going to break any major milestones, does what it intends to do quite well.

The album starts with its strongest offering, simply entitled "Radio." To be succinct, "Radio" is the best song on this disc, and should have easily taken over the pop-rock charts. With its fervent energy and catchy "woah-oh's," the song would have fit in easily on an All Time Low album, with an over-the-top video to help rocket it to the top of the charts and into iPods everywhere. Unfortunately, the music industry overlooked this potential hit, so if you take nothing else out of this review, go listen to "Radio."

However, after the impressive opening track, the album begins to lose some of the energy that made that track so much fun. Me Verse You fit into a very specific genre, and they show few signs of attempting to go outside of that safe zone: Alternating vocals, familiar guitars, and upbeat drumming permeate many of the remaining tracks, as the vocalists sing familiar lyrics; stories of lost love, adultery - you've heard it all before.

Now, while their music is not exactly a new concept, Me Verse You pull it off admirably. The album was produced by Matt Hyde (No Doubt) and the effect shows. Hyde's production is quite good; each instrument is played as it should be, each song is memorable.

If you listened to the band's earlier incarnation, So They Say, or any other similar bands, you probably know what you're getting into. There aren't many attempts to push genres, which is a shame, since I would have liked to see the album continue more like the opening number instead of backing into such a familiar style. A few tracks offer differences like "Get Goin'," and the track "Liar, Liar" has a tendency to get stuck in my head without my noticing, but otherwise the album remains rather static. We'll see if Me Verse You can offer a bit more variety on their next release - maybe you'll even hear from them on the radio some time in the future.

Recommended If You LikeSo They Say, catchy-as-hell opening tracks

http://www.myspace.com/meverseyoumusic

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
12:14 AM on 07/09/10
Gin
What'd those animals say to ya?
User Info.
I mostly agree with your review, although "Radio" isnt the strongest track for me. Tracks 2-5 are all very cool imo, maybe I'd choose "Come On Baby".

Some of the later tracks are more So They Say-like I'd say.

70% sounds fair to me^^
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News